997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Weld issues with the new TT

Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Weld issues with the new TT

Thanksgiving is a great day since it is the only time my wife will not let me work…period. So I took the opportunity to wash her car first then mine. We then did the run to my family, then another dinner to her family. During all the running around when my boys finally listened to me and stop fighting in the back seat I heard a weird noise…Weirder than the silence My damn car was creaking. Like my old 993TT use to around the windows. I thought what the heck. Maybe it will go away.

Fri woke up and headed up to the shop and same thing. Creak, creak, creak!! ARGH I am going to loose my mind. I pull it into the shop and start to check the window, nope not it. Check the deck lid, close but not it. The taillight! Nope not is. So I look under the car, around the bumper, exhaust, suspension nothing. Sheez. I finally decide to pull the bumper. It has to be a shield or something. Well, I pulled it and it was something alright. What I found is the inner fender where it is welded inside the engine compartment had cracked an pulled from the body. Every time the quarter would flex it would rub together and creak. I ended up spot welding it since the dealer are monkeys. A little paint and I was good to go. Sanity restored.

<O</O<O</O
But I have to ask….what the hell? This is not the first goofy thing to happen. A 1000 miles after I had the car I noticed a huge driveline clunk. Turns out the bolts to my tranny were loose. The forward support. Not the main one but the secondary that stops the driveline slap to the body.

<O></O>

Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
That really doesn't inspire confidence. Maybe you should have had the dealer fix the bolts and the weld so you could have an official record of problems with your car in case you need it later.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
You know I am not that kind of guy. The dealer are idiots. I bought the car for a test bed anyway so I am not concerned about warranty. I will pull the motor apart before winter is over. There isn't anything I can't fix, but I keep track of the issues and document them in pictures. Not that would do any good but I have them

Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 PM
BusyLivin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
lol. that's .

Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
kmp254 is on a distinguished road
Interesting. I was told that my car was held at the port by Porsche to fix some welds in the rear of the car. Apparently they flew some folks from Germany in to perform the work.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:13 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Weird. Almost sounds like you wrecked the freakin' thing as soon as you got it, or sumthin' . . .

Old 11-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Like a deer? LOL

Old 11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
a deer is better than a horse or summin'... at least the fight was relatively even that way

Old 11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
LOL, thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
LOL, thanks
OK well a small fox would have been preferable (except in England where we go crazy if you kill one of those). You should have seen the mountain lion I saw on Saturday. I was in the other lane going down the hill where I live and a brand new Range Rover gave it a once over. Lion chops everywhere but the RR was pretty messed up!

Old 12-13-2006, 04:40 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen,
saw this on another board. u might be getting one soon.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
297776-weldingrecall.pdf (100.9 KB, 351 views)
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Maybe Porsche hired some of Mercedes engineers to help them out.

Sorry to hear about the welds.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Funny, still no letter. IMHO Porsche customer service sucks. Good thing I love the car and not the CS skills they have to offer. My dealer is the same way. Idiots.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
ritchieswimwear is an unknown quantity at this point
With the liberal German labor laws, the dude over seeing the welds will probably get a raise--Hey Stephen, On my 01 turbo, I have to turn the headlight switch sometimes more than once to turn them on, bad switch or lights? thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I think PCNA should send their newbie techs to Stephen. Imagine (pun intended) what service would REALLY be like if every tech for Porsche had that knowledge, or hell, even 10% of it!

I have great techs here with our dealership, but I do know of others that suffer from weak experience.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weld issues with the new TT