Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Former Vendor
Bisimoto is on a distinguished road
Talking Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!

Greetings all,
I recently purchased my 2001 Boxster S (2 weeks ago), and could not wait to start playing around with it on my dynamometer. I am an engineer, tuner and enthusiast, and have designed parts for NSXs, S2000s, and even factory supported FWD drag race teams. My race program involved many secured world records...but I digress.
Since I own my own Dynapack Chassis dynamometer, and noticed some confusion in this board (yes, I have lurked for a while) in regard to if de-snorking produces any other benefit above an enhance intake roar, I took it upon my self to perform the following test. Each run was repeated to ensure credibility.
My bone stock S: red line
De-snorked (15 minuets later): violet line
Name:  DeSnorked986S.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  95.8 KB
A 5 WHP GAIN!!!! In addition, almost 3 ft/lbs of torque
Finally some proof, and feel free to share this with our peer members. This is the most cost effective gain I have seen in a while!
On the dyno:
Name:  DSC01278.jpg
Views: 2283
Size:  37.9 KB
Left over "organ":
Name:  DSC01282.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  48.3 KB

No tyre interface to introduce, variables like other cheaper intertia dynos. More data to come, as I try some interesting technology on the S...

Old 03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
fornowh is on a distinguished road
Headers

Cool, I just spoked with you this morning, I am glad you did it. I will stop by the shop one of this days. See you.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
dblvanos will become famous soon enoughdblvanos will become famous soon enough
Someone out there in cali with a 987 hook up with bisimoto and let him have a go at your car. I drive my 987 about 2300 miles a month and I have been reluctant to do this just over fear of water ingestion. But real world dyno numbers could persuade me.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Eddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura about
Awesome work, i would suggest giving the car at least 50 miles of driving time to adjust for the greater air inflow, and you might yield higher results, maybe, but it might be worth looking into.

Regardless, cool stuff!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
I did this to my Cayman S and notice a little difference but I've been told my car definitely sounds meaner when at wot.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor
Bisimoto is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dblvanos
Someone out there in cali with a 987 hook up with bisimoto and let him have a go at your car. I drive my 987 about 2300 miles a month and I have been reluctant to do this just over fear of water ingestion. But real world dyno numbers could persuade me.
I am open to this suggestion. My facility is in Pomona now, and I am looking for a bigger one in the 626 area code to move to, hopefully soon. PM me if interested!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
easyc is on a distinguished road
wow thats awesome... I couldn't feel anything when I desnorkled but the increase in sound should mean something

Old 03-06-2007, 02:20 AM
djomlas is on a distinguished road
at first when i desnorkeled my car, it was much better sounding, didnt notice the HP gain, but soundwise was good enough for me.

now i have a Evo intake, and wow does that thing scream at WOT and over 5k rpm.

i wish you can test an Evo intake on that thing

and thank you for doing real world results man, really

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Kinesis 996 is on a distinguished road
How do you exactly De snorked your car?

What is the meaning of de snorked, i m very interested to do this to my mom's boxster. Please post a guide if i want to do this on my own thanks.

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 03-07-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 AM
easyc is on a distinguished road
There is a step by step guide over on ppbb.com, but basically you remove the single screw on the driver side intake... carefully release the guide locks on the grill by sliding them towards the engine then remove the entire grill and outer part and then simply grab the snorkle and pull it out... put everything except the snorkle back... it can be done in 5 minutes...

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 AM
this is what you want to pull out, simple grab and pull, it will most likely not want to come out, but with some pursuasion it will slide out, watch your hands

Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Kinesis 996 is on a distinguished road
What is the exact function of the snork? Is it there to restrict sound or?

Thanks for the picture, so it is the thing that is covering the tube on the driver side intake right?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
the tube itself is a snorkel, so you wanna take the whole thing out, so off your description you have to remove the tube and the thign tha is covering it, they are tied together w some hardcore zip tie of a sort....
its there to prevent sigarette butts or anyhting else you can throw in there, pretty much useless, although they did design and put that piece after some people set their cars on fire while smoking and throwing the sigarette out the window.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 AM
blinkwatt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by djomlas
its there to prevent sigarette butts or anyhting else you can throw in there, pretty much useless, although they did design and put that piece after some people set their cars on fire while smoking and throwing the sigarette out the window.
They came out with an updated intake grills on the driver's side. The two lower "fins" on the grille are interjoined and block off to prevent such a thing for happening. I would recommend updating regardless of desnorkling(spelling?),it's only a $12 part.

But back to the main topic. For all it's worth I feel no power difference on my 99' that is desnorkeled,just a meaner intake sound.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
bavariamotorist is on a distinguished road
I have tried to do this but I simply CAN NOT, for the life of me, get that damn blind off the intake!!!

I am afraid I'll break it. I see where it clips in, though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!