993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

993 turbo project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Brett B is on a distinguished road
993 turbo project

Here are some pictures of my 993 turbo project, all fab/wiring/tuning work done by myself. I posted a few of these on Rennlist a while back but I figured some of the guys here may like them.

Bone stock when I picked it up:

Engine out for cleanup, removal of unneeded crap, removal of distributor setup, replacement of the oem EFI harness, work on the cam/crank sensor setup for the AEM, and building of the coil on plug ignition setup:

AEM EMS standalone with CDI ignition boxes. The EMS plugs directly into the factory EFI harness via a custom jumper harness I built:

Turbo and intercooler fab work done (exhaust and wastegate dump not done yet in these photos), ready for the bumper and rear wing:

Here are some exterior pictures after a quick cleanup showing the completed exhaust and the SSR GT3s powdercoated gloss black. Haven't bothered to crop and center these yet, but you get the idea:

I am still on the stock motor just running 6 psi right now. At 6 psi it makes 412 RWHP and 353 RWTQ. I really don't trust the stock rod bolts too much so I won't push it any further for the time being even though it's just begging for more boost. Straight line acceleration is still not as fast as my last toy. But the car weighs right around 2900 lbs without me in it, so it pulls pretty good and it’s an absolute blast at the track. The car has run flawlessly through anything I have thrown at it for over a year now and I couldn't be happier with it.

The turbo is a journal bearing Garrett GT4088 (54 trim). Considering 6 psi is barely touching on the bottom of the compressor map, I expect good things in the future if I ever get around to some forged lower-compression internals, ARP fasteners, and a boost level more appropriate for a turbo of this size.

Last edited by Brett B; 08-13-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
TT/T is on a distinguished road
Very nice, Brett.

Must bring you complete satisfaction knowing you did the work yourself.

Last edited by TT/T; 08-14-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all
Nicely done!!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys. Here is a short (kind of crappy) vid from a recent trip to Putnam Park:

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4xy2c5g

Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Very cool!..........

Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
awesome job!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Very nice!!! Thanks for posting.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
That thing is going to sound great with the single turbo! Twins can't even come close to the sound of a single!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:05 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Nice job. I've been pondering a project like this. What kind of jacket is on the turbine? Are you using a oil-only center or did you fab some kind of water cooling as well? Does the wastegate dump to the driver's side exhaust tip or is that a dummy? Did you consider doing any kind of thermal coating on the inlet pipe to the compressor - it looks like it is very close to the wastegate dump and inlet?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by ZLP
That thing is going to sound great with the single turbo! Twins can't even come close to the sound of a single!
It does sound pretty crazy. I have some other videos of it but they need to be edited a bit. I will probably get some more this weekend as well.

Originally Posted by eclou
Nice job. I've been pondering a project like this. What kind of jacket is on the turbine? Are you using a oil-only center or did you fab some kind of water cooling as well? Does the wastegate dump to the driver's side exhaust tip or is that a dummy? Did you consider doing any kind of thermal coating on the inlet pipe to the compressor - it looks like it is very close to the wastegate dump and inlet?
Thanks eclou.

I am using this turbo blanket, it works very well:

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/bolotubl.html

The CHRA is oil fed only as it is a journal bearing Garrett GT series turbo. Only the ball bearing Garrett GT series have a water jacket on the CHRA. It is this turbo:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=GTNBB

The drivers side exhaust tip is the wastegate outlet only, the passenger side tip is the turbo outlet only.

The pictures of the wastegate position are a bit deceiving, it's actually not that close to the compressor inlet. Regardless, I used 304SS for the 4" diameter compressor inlet pipe instead of aluminum to minimize radiant heat transfer from the various exhaust components to the turbo inlet air. Thanks to the nice big intercooler (and relatively low boost), my inlet air temps at the throttle body are always very close to ambient.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent job on the AEM. How complicated was it? Also how do you pass emission test?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
VERY cool project!

who fabbed the exhaust mani?

is the whole kit custom by you?

good job!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
What coils are those?? if I may ask, nice project, cheers, Sonny.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Ritesh will become famous soon enough
IMHO the 993 TT is the greatest 911 Turbo ever, and your car looks spectacular!!

Last edited by Ritesh; 08-16-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Nice work man, car looks wonderful

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 993 turbo project