Stuarts body shop. Bad business

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zinia
I'm just curious, why didn't you take the car to New Concept instead of Stuart's?
That's a fair question and one worthy of an honest answer.

Stuarts usually dots their I's and crosses their T's better when it comes to frame repair. Stuart's has a better frame machine. New Concept didn't (or at the time of the last time I asked) have a spot welder to do a proper spot weld repair. Differences that honestly don't make a huge difference in the scope of the lifetime of the average car, but being an engineer and car guy, it makes a difference to me. A difference that will be appreciated by the owners of the car in 5-8-10+ years.

However, I'm actually asking myself why I didn't do the work myself at this point and pocket the profit. I could have hired the the frame work out, taken a week off of work and knocked it out. I did a repair about 5 years ago. This is more or less the exact repair the RX400 needs:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~bedellra...wap/crash.html

It was finished in less than a week after I started on it in the fall of 2006.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
True, I might have gotten ahead of myself. On its face though, it just seemed like a long time. Agree that the proof's in the pudding. They must be doing something/someone right if they have all those vehicles in for work. It was similarly confidence inspiring to see 4 modded 997 turbos at TKX Performance in Huntington, NY, when mine was just in for a mere fluid flush and oil change. But having the head guy there take the time to fix some extras right there on the spot after pointing them out was what convinced me they were professionals. True I had to schedule the appointment 10 days in advance but they competed the work on time that day and worked on the other stuff even though they were clearly busy on a Friday evening before a long weekend. That's in NYC. I'm expecting things to be better in Dallas.

Originally Posted by wingnut2u
Unfortunately we only know your side of the story. It does seem like your car has been there way too long. Stuart's has fixed 2 of my cars during this same time frame. The last car they had in and out in just over a week ( I am picking that car up today). I am inclined to think that there may be a little more to the story than what we are being told (the old 2 sides to every story)

NYC_Z06 , I think this case is an exception to the rule, if you go by the shop and see all of the Ferrari, Lambo's and Porsches sitting out front, you realize that they are doing something right. There is a reason they are the place of choice for all of the high end exotics in the area. If it makes any difference you can talk to Chris, who is my service contact there.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I got my car back from Stuarts last week. It was a not at fault accident in my DD. I dropped the car off on July 25th. Sat there for 2.5 hrs waiting for them to settle a dispute between Stuarts and Enterprise rental car (unbenounced to me at the time) until my rental was available.finally got the rental and left. 2 weeks later, Nationwide (at fault party's insurance carrier) said Stuarts had exceeded the maximum time for repairs (dented door) and will no longer pay fog the rental. Still my car wasn't complete but I turned the rental car in anyway (excuse to drive the C4s). Long story short, Enterprise charged me for the rental because Stuarts is disputing Nationwide's estimate and I'm out several hundred bucks while the go back and forth. I experienced bad customer service and several omitions of the truth.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Zinia is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
That's a fair question and one worthy of an honest answer.

Stuarts usually dots their I's and crosses their T's better when it comes to frame repair. Stuart's has a better frame machine. New Concept didn't (or at the time of the last time I asked) have a spot welder to do a proper spot weld repair. Differences that honestly don't make a huge difference in the scope of the lifetime of the average car, but being an engineer and car guy, it makes a difference to me. A difference that will be appreciated by the owners of the car in 5-8-10+ years.

However, I'm actually asking myself why I didn't do the work myself at this point and pocket the profit. I could have hired the the frame work out, taken a week off of work and knocked it out. I did a repair about 5 years ago. This is more or less the exact repair the RX400 needs:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~bedellracing/v8swap/crash.html

It was finished in less than a week after I started on it in the fall of 2006.
And a fair answer. I drive by Stuart's on a daily basis and it's quite evident that they must do a good job based on the line-up of cars there. I have just heard so many good things about New Concept.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
11/11/11--Picked up the car 'it was 'ready' but not really.
--Overspray behind door and fender, including on rubber molding in fender.
--Right Fender mis-aligned (hood is correct, but body line is off by about 3mm)
--All bolts on body panels not painted, hood bolts not even original types.
--Engine cover all scratched up. Looks like it was upside down on the concrete. (was perfect, even after the accident as I pulled it off and put it in the back seat)
--Pretty strong pull to the right on the alignment. Even after it went back a couple of times( we put new tires on it to attempt to correct the issue)
--Trash in the paint. I stopped counting at 6 bits. 1/2 of it was from scotchbrite pads.
--Door/fender alignment on both sides are off. Fender is in too far on the left and out too far on the right. (left will cause wind noise, it's about 2mm out)
--Paint depth isn't consistent. It reads 4.7mil fender, 4.3 to 6.9mil on the door) and original paint is 4.3 mil.

(I'll add to the list, there was more but I can't think of it right now)

Worth pointing out, Stuart told me that 3mm was 'in spec' for his line of business. Lexus is a 1mm spec vehicle, which means it's either right or it's not. I'm also betting 99.9% of their clients wouldn't like this. For nearly a 5 month job, this was't 'ready for delivery'.

This is production quality work that I'd expect at any shop, not quality that I expect with Stuart's reputation. They rushed the details on this car.

They have offered to fix the issues and commented that I was looking the car over closer than I would if I were buying it. Well, lets just say, I wouldn't purchase this car due to the quality of repair. If they skimped on the finishing details, I am uncertain of what the stuff covered with bondo and paint looks like.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out. Has to be frustrating after all those months. I decided to give New Concepts a try. I'll post a review w/pics once they're done.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Follow Up

The work at New Concepts was completed in about a week. Paint work is first class. They had to fabricate caps for spaces where the bumperettes should be. The rear now has a clean euro bumper look. They also fabricated and installed side intake grill screens. Overall, very happy with the work. Cost was right in line with other quotes I've seen. The people were very professional. Took it out for the first time on Saturday morning for a local toys for tots run here in Dallas.

Attached Images    

Last edited by NYC_Z06; 12-12-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Just an update on Stuarts.

The front paint flaked like crazy on the bumper of the Lexus. Against my better judgment, I took it in for warranty and they took care of it promptly, within time promised and without excuses. It's been about 10 months since then and the paint seems to be holding up as it should.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
My stuff is at Stuarts since 4/7/14...oh just to buff the rear bumper and repaint the GT3 aerokit wing...

Will update the experience once the job is done...if.