Toyo R888 VS Nitto NT01

Old 05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
porshenaround, what does your alignment look like? That could give you similar symptoms as well...

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
well the r888's that i had in 295/225 size was fine, i have a gt2 alignment done.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
VTach is on a distinguished road
After my 2nd track day on a new set of R888's I am very pleased with the grip. Yeah they are noisy on the way to/from the track but who cares. When your on the track with the windows down at full speed, noise doesn't really concern me.

Tire pressures seem better in the 37-39 (HOT) range for me.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
The nitto 315's do have more of a bubble/muffin sidewall verses a hard straight wall as found on the cup tires. perhaps this tire is more for drag racing...

Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I just did my first track day on R888's. The diff between my street Pirelli's is incredible. I can't compare to other soft compound tires, but I can certainly say they are better than reg street tires for this use. It was a slightly wet day and they still did great.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Well my Nittos are not for my use. I got the 235/315 sizing, there is not enough response from these tires. They are like sponges slosh'n around.

Going to MP2's (maybe that in a 235/315, they are XLoad rated with a stiff wall) for street and Hoosier r6 for track ( stock sizing for track )

Last edited by porschenaround; 05-17-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Any interest in selling them? Or did you completely thrash them.

Originally Posted by porschenaround
Well my Nittos are garbage for my use. I got the 235/315 sizing, there is no response from these tires. They are like sponges slosh'n around. Useless. Going to MP2's (maybe that in a 235/315, they are XLoad rated with a stiff wall) for street and Hoosier r6 for track ( stock sizing for track )

Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 PM
No they are in New Condition with one heat cycle on them, then i had to drive my BMW for the rest of the day, only to blow the engine on the final lap : >

Anyways, all braking done in a straight line, no shaking from these tires. I paid about $1500 at town fair tire for the nittos nt01's, what should i sell them for ?

Last edited by porschenaround; 05-17-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
kwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura about
got pics of the thread life left?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
*Monk is on a distinguished road
I would like to see tread life as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I bought a set of Nitto Invos because those were the only ones that came in OEM sizing.

I've done 3 track days with them:
2 @ Shenandoah, Summit Point VW
1 Advanced Day @ NJMP Thunderbolt

My initial impressions are the tires are on par with the PS2 on the track. I pushed on them same as on the PS2s and saw no real difference or compromises. Car felt the same, tires had a lot of feedback, a good amount of squealing, nothing negative about them.

Im running around -2 F&R camber and had them inflated to about 38-40 (Front hot), 40-44 (Rear hot) starting with about 32/34 cold PSI and they wore well. The outer sidewall did show a little bit of wear, but both tracks are small with a lot of turns in one direction with few straights. So I think their wear was quite good given the track layouts.

Plus the advanced day we did about 7 sessions so it was like a double day. I have enough tread wear to safely do at least 2 more track days at either one of these tracks, and quite a few more if I did Watkins Glen or VIR, something that's more forgiving on tires.

In terms of street ride no complaints. I havent really driven them in the wet, but overall they aren't noisy, are quite comfortable, really no complaints.

At $700 per seat cheaper than the PS2s I'm going to have to give them two enthusiastic thumbs up.

I know this is about track tires, but if anyone is running street tries for the track, check these out.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VTach
After my 2nd track day on a new set of R888's I am very pleased with the grip. Yeah they are noisy on the way to/from the track but who cares. When your on the track with the windows down at full speed, noise doesn't really concern me.

Tire pressures seem better in the 37-39 (HOT) range for me.
This thread is a little old but, I was hoping VTach or someone could tell me what sizes front and rear for the Toyo 888s on a 997s for the track. Thanks

Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 PM
VTach is on a distinguished road
ng997,
Front: P235/35ZR-19 Toyo Proxes R888
Rear: P295/30ZR-19
These are mounted on my original Lobster Fork rims which I've converted to my track shoes.

2 more track days on them and still very pleased with grip and wear. I ran 35/36 psi recently on a hot day which seemed to improve grip over the higher pressures I ran initially.

Last edited by VTach; 07-23-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Ive moved on to the Bridgestone RE-11 and absolutely love them.

I've done 5 days at NJMP Thunderbolt on them and the wear has been fantastic.

Great grip on track, quiet on the street, and good in the rain.

I'm sticking with these for a while.

Plus $700 cheaper than MPSC.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VTach
ng997,
Front: P235/35ZR-19 Toyo Proxes R888
Rear: P295/30ZR-19
These are mounted on my original Lobster Fork rims which I've converted to my track shoes.

2 more track days on them and still very pleased with grip and wear. I ran 35/36 psi recently on a hot day which seemed to improve grip over the higher pressures I ran initially.
Thanks VTach,

Anyone else run Toyo 888s on 18 inch wheels on the track and what size?
Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toyo R888 VS Nitto NT01