Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Shiny

Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I am going o share some information about manifolds we have tested. The following was conducted in December 2009 by Performance Developments. The manifold in question is the GT2 Cup modified for throttle body.

Chad,

This manifold is not very good I’m afraid. Although it flows more than the 997 GT2 it has very poor distribution.

To compare the 997 GT2 manifold flows 504 CFM @ 10” . This one flows 572 CFM @ 10”. But the front two runners get almost no air flow.

These are the air pressure numbers measured at the runner exits with Pitot tubes. This measurement calculates the velocity not the CFM. However, in manifolds and head ports, velocity is directly related to flow. The difference can be felt is it so large.

Cyl 1 0.7

Cyl 2 1.7

Cyl 3 2.3

Cyl 4 0.2

Cyl 5 0.9

Cyl 6 2.0

I guess we need to look at another alternative. To compare the GT2 manifold, it has less overall flow. But the runner distribution is almost even. Using this manifold as is would result in 2 or 3 cylinders running rich and the other 3 lean. If the AF is measured collectively, then I would expect with acceptable AF numbers, 2 or 3 cylinders would be carrying the other 3. All cylinders would be inefficient and 2 at least could be close to or even detonating, running so lean.

I’m not sure what the ability of the stock system has. If the individual cylinders can be trimmed to even out the AF numbers, the engine still will make less power on those Cylinders. Spending all of this money on Heads and Cams is a waste if we cannot get the air to the Cylinders.

Nh

Now we came across the ESMotor manifold and we tested it in January 2014.

Chad we flowed the manifold. It’s by far the best we have seen or flowed to date. It out flows the one from EVOMS you had by a lot. Not only in total volume by a lot more even across the cylinders.

Here are the results. I sent these to Emre.

Chad,

We flowed the manifold and of all of the stock or modified manifolds we have ever seen and flowed, this is by far the best.

The only issue is the same old one with all of them. The butterfly has to be big enough to flow what the engine needs at max RPM, but after 40% approx throttle angle the butterfly flows it max. After that it makes no difference and then makes the engine very hard to throttle. You drive the car on manifold pressure not on the throttle. Common problem with large single butterflys in Turbo engines.

The manifold maxed out our Flow bench. I figured it would. We mount the manifold and blow through as in the car. We also reverse the flow and suck through it to see the balance under engine vacuum.

Here are the results. It should be noted that the individual runners flow differently depending where you probe the air flow within the runner itself. We tried to probe them in the same place but it’s not always scientific. The “step” inside at the bottom of the runner where the rubber coupler connects really causes a lot of separation and disturbance.

Normal direction.

610.00 CFM. Total flow measured @ 7.65” of H2O test pressure. Total bench can produce with open manifold. Test pressure is very low, but bench is maxed out.

Port Number. Velocity Pressure (Inches of H2O) Velocity of Air (FPM)

1 1.0 3963

2 1.4 4689

3 2.8 6632

4 1.2 4342

5 1.5 4854

6 2.8 6632

Reverse Direction

608 CFM. Total flow measured @ 7.30” of water test pressure.

Port Number. Velocity Pressure (Inches of H2O) Velocity of Air (FPM)

1 1.2 4342

2 1.8 5317

3 2.2 5879

4 1.8 5317

5 2.0 5605

6 2.5 6267

You would expect the rear cylinders to get more air as this is how the manifold is designed. The air will turn in that direction and hug the short radius not the long radius. The manifold pretty much even side to side when flow in either direction. This is still the best we have seen.

I think if you can make a spacer that will fit between the runner bottom and the top of the lower manifold, inside the rubber coupler and eliminate the air disturbance the flow will be even better. I’ll make one up and fit and see.

nh

After the tests we had some work done to the runners and fitted the manifold with a 95 mm TB.

Last edited by cjv; 07-27-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I see things are coming to life. Hope all is well.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Art, they have always been alive ... just a little slow.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 PM
cjv
Those who have been following know the motor is complete. We have been having a difficult time choosing who to use to set up the engine management. Our system is complicated and there is a lot of work in researching who we let do this work.

After a few false starts we have decided to ship the motor to Southern California where it will engine dyno'ed it for the last time with the new ES manifold and 95 mm TB in place. They will also provide the engine management system and manufacture all wiring looms for direct connections to existing car loom connections.

From there the motor will be returned to Scargo Racing for install.

Hopefully we are finally to completion.

Last edited by cjv; 08-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 PM
cjv
The motor is being shipped to Neil at Performance Developments next week where they will do most of the tuning on their engine dyno as well as perform all wiring connections for their engine management system to connect to he car's connections.

I still need to pick a clutch. Was going to go with the ERP clutch, however to date they seem to be experiencing some gremlins. Thinking about going with the Tilton/EVOMS carbon clutch. Earlier we had problems with the Tilton metalic clutch. EVOMS seems to have had good results with their carbon unit.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
What engine management did you end up going with ?

Tilton will give you no issues, it's proven time and time again, at the power levels you'll likely be making the triple carbon Tilton is likely your only clutch option, especially if the metallic clutch has given you problems.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM
cjv
The parts list is starting to come in.

I have included some extra functions into your EFI system for safety reasons. The Oil Pressure and Water Pressure sensors will tell the ECU to lower the engine speed and even stop it if either pressures drop to dangerous levels. This will save the engine from serious damage. The Fuel Temperature and Fuel pressure have a huge effect on how the engine runs. Most EFI systems do not include these functions, But I do and we have found they make a huge difference on the final tune.

Could you send payment for the following parts please?

1 x Emtron KV8 ECU $ 2850.00

1 x Fuel pressure sensor $ 375.00

1 x Fuel Temperature sensor $ 95.00

2 x Boost Solenoid $ 390.00

1 x Intake Air temperature sensor $ 85.00

1 x 4.0B Manifold pressure sensor $ 185.00

1 x Crankcase pressure sensor $ 375.00

1 x Oil pressure sensor $ 375.00

1 x Water pressure sensor $ 375.00

1 x 5Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator $ 290.50

2 x Lambda O2 sensors $ 350.00

1 x Dyno harness for new ECU $ 2400.00

1 x 6 Channel CDI $ 1350.00

6 x CDI Coils $ 1110.00

1 x set Custom Plug wires $ 350.00 est. TBD after engine is here and coils mounted.

nh

Last edited by cjv; 08-15-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 PM
cjv
Hey Chad,

It was a pleasure talking with you today, thank you for calling in.

We actually have a Tilton kit on the shelf right now. It includes a lightweight ~8lb steel flywheel we've always used with these kits. Tilton are just about to come out with a heavier ~18lb steel flywheel, which should improve driveability by giving the engine a little more inertia to help keep it running during engagement. They will have the heavier flywheel available in about two weeks if you were interested in going that direction. Either way, the price on the kit is $6895.

The 300M axle set is $2795, and typically has a 2-3 week lead time. They're on the east coast and are closed for the day, but they've been right there on the last few sets I've ordered from them.

If you need the coolant pipe repair kit, I show them in stock for $195. Here is a link to the Sharkwerks guide on pinning the fittings as well if you're not familiar with it: http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

Let me know if you'd like to purchase and if there is anything else I can assist with.

Thanks,

Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by onelove
What engine management did you end up going with ?

Tilton will give you no issues, it's proven time and time again, at the power levels you'll likely be making the triple carbon Tilton is likely your only clutch option, especially if the metallic clutch has given you problems.
Emtron KV8. It is made in Australia.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 PM
cjv
Looking at turbo's now. Going to drop the big turbo's and go with something which has a quicker response.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 AM
cjv
I have received different advice from different sources regarding a choice for turbo's. The engine had been fitted with both GT35R's and GT42R's in the past. Power was off the charts, however response was slower in mid rpm's. Now looking for a quick response above 3,000 rpm's. The original redline was 9100. The rev limiter will now be set at 7500 rpm's. The cams are single lobe utilizing GT3 Street pointers with durations of 296 and 284. The cam lift is 0.495 and 0.440".

The engine is a 4.3L in which there has not been a single Porsche part that has not been reviewed and modified/replaced (with the intention of improvement). The car's suspension and running gear have all been modified to an extreme degree. It's utilization will be DE's, Autocross and an occasional drive on a sunny day.

What would be your suggestion as to a turbo choice and why?

Last edited by cjv; 08-23-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM
cjv
Good morning Chad,

I took home your engine file and spent sometime over the weekend to refresh myself with what we did etc. I found all of the Cam info so sorry about the confusion.

My notes from before discuss the use of your larger Turbo’s. Now that we are going with the smaller Turbo’s the back pressure will be increased as this is the trade off going smaller. Not a big deal. However, looking at the cam timing we went with back before, (Exhaust setting) we may want to think about moving the Exhaust cam with the increase in back pressure the smaller turbo’s will produce.

The Exhaust Cam is fixed as it does not have the variable control the Intake cam has. We can change the overlap with the Intake control but the position of the Exhaust is where we put it in building. I’d like to think about this and do some modeling to see if we should start off with the Exhaust Cam a little more advanced. This will allow us to have a wider overlap period as we will be opening the Exhaust valve a little earlier. This should help control the extra back pressure and hopefully not hurt the lower end performance.

I need to model this to see if we gain or lose too much and where. Just want to make sure we have a good starting point.

I will wait until I have the new Intake manifold here so I can flow it as I need the flow numbers in modeling. Looking at the numbers of the first ES Motor manifold we flowed, made me think about this. Emre’s manifold flowed so much more than anything I have seen sold to date. If this new one flows even more, I’m sure we will need to move the Exhaust cam. The added air flow will surely increase the VE, so having an earlier Exhaust opening should not hurt.

nh

Old 08-26-2014, 06:13 PM
cjv
Looking at the Garrett GTX3076R ball bearing units with TiAl stainless v-band turbine hsg. (.82 A/R). Motorsport ball bearing and billet impeller as options.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:44 AM
cjv
We have decided on the Tial Alpha 3076R turbo's.

They will give good drivability. The 4.3L motor will light them up fast as well as spooling these turbo's to their max. very quickly. The other thing I am looking forward to is they will bolt right up to a one off Europipe exhaust that was made for us a number of years ago.

Last edited by cjv; 09-06-2014 at 08:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring