Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
so when do you expect this car to be drivable, seems a little ridiculous, no offense

Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Christian
so when do you expect this car to be drivable, seems a little ridiculous, no offense
No offense taken. If or when it it completed it will be stored in a warehouse and not driven much at all. The reality is, this Porsche motor was a challenge as to what could really be achieved. We found this out on the engine dyno throughout many tested modifications/changes. I can remember a time when 450 hp with these motors was a holy grail. Porsche won Le Mans with a GT1 making 600 hp. The fun is in the journey .... not the destination.

Nothing to prove to anyone but ourselves. Freely sharing of information is worth exactly what it costs anyone.

Last edited by cjv; 09-07-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Ordered the turbos today. Decided on the Tial GT30 Alpha. The A/R will be .79 instead of the larger .82. The add ons are motorsport bearings and billet impellers. There will be no problem quickly pushing these turbos to their limits all the while being very drivable.

Last edited by cjv; 09-28-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
cjv
We are slow as usual.

I sent the ES Motor intake manifold that was modified to our specs to Performance Development yesterday. They will put it on their flow bench and test for flow and runner balance.

Neil has informed me the wire harness is ready. He is waiting for the motor to be shipped to him from Scargo Racing. Once received, he will set it up on the engine dyno.

Rob at Scargo says he has the shipping crate ready and is awaiting the delivery of the new turbo's for installation prior to shipping. The motor will be shipped assembled (engine to muffler), ready for engine dyo.

Sounds like all we are waiting for is the turbo's to arrive.

Last edited by cjv; 10-17-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 PM
cjv
Scargo informed me the turbo's arrived today.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:28 PM
cjv
The motor is being shipped to Performance Development for final engine dyno testing prior to installation into the car. It has been many years of building, testing, rebuilding and retesting.

It will take a few days to assemble a parts list of the final build, but here goes. Displacement is 4.3L.

Case:

Porsche Spanish case.
Shuffle pinned.
Aligned bored
bow tailed
machined for 965 oil squirters
machined for GT1 3 index oil pump

Crank
Arrow Precision 82.4 mm GT3 crank
Oval bearings
cross drilled

Rods
129.85 mm Arrow Precision
wt 525 grams
crank bearing size 2.0"
wrist pin size 22 mm
rifle drilled
coated to repeal oil on rod exterior surfaces

Wrist Pins
Three melt steel
Coated with black like diamonds

Pistons
105.7 mm CT pistons wt 414 grams
Wrist pins were offset on piston bore to dead center
ceramic coated domes for nitrous duty
friction coated skirts
wrist pins were raised lower oil ring eliminated

Liners
Custom designed steel liners

Heads
Porsche GT3 Cup
2x o ring
Fire Ring
Three degree valve job
Match cc'd cylinder domes
ceramic coated exhaust ports
ceramic coated cylinder domes
Intake/exhaust ports cleaned up so as to match flow
Certain water passages opened to increase cooling
Head washers countered sunk and washers designed to preclude all lateral movement

Head Studs
Half inch custom designed and manufactured by Performance Development
custom thread depth and threads

Valves
Manley intakes
Ferrea exhausts
* reason was neither company made intake and exhaust in valve and stem size required
Ceramic coated valve
Friction coated stems
Top fuel/nitrous duty

Springs
Dual Springs
Inconel
Designed and manufactured by Performance Development

Cams
Designed and manufactured by Performance Developments with zero harmonic distortion. Non vario, GT3 street pointers.

Seat Duration Intake-296, Exhaust-284

0.050’ Duration Intake-254, Exhaust-243

Gross cam lift Intake-0.495”, Exhaust-0.440”

Hyd Valve Lash Intake-0.004”, Exhaust-0.004”

Net Valve Lift Intake-0.491” , Exhaust-0.436”

Tappets
Designed and manufactured by Performance Developments
hemispherical tops

Headers
Scargo racing

Intake
ES Motor
95 mm throttle body

Injector manifold
GT3 modified for dual injectors

Turbo
Tial Alpha GT30

Updated pics pages 256 through 258

Last edited by cjv; 10-27-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:37 PM
cjv
Update: I received this e mail from Neil at Performance Development on October 22nd.

First off, my apologies for my tardiness in getting back with you.

Today we finally managed to get to your stuff and are now fixing up the intake to the bench.

We have 1 upper plenum body, 2 lower manifolds and a throttle body. All in good condition with no damage from shipping.

I hope to have some numbers for you by weeks end. We are making up plates to flow through the lower manifolds and also in the reverse direction same as in the car. I want to know if the manifolds have any restriction.

I am leaving for Thailand for two weeks next week. I may have to go onto Malaysia for the GT3 race there but that is not certain yet. I have instructed those here to receive the engine when it arrives, unpack it and make we inventory all of the parts that arrive. The Intake if ready will be fitted and the engine made ready for the engine dyno. Regardless, when I return we will give this our immediate and full attention.

nh

Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 PM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
wow, this car is not running yet? 11 year project.. wow

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by chidoks
wow, this car is not running yet? 11 year project.. wow
Bent all six rods in February 2004. Since then it was informative building, testing, tear downs and rebuilding with changed parts several times. There are enough spare parts to assemble a few engines. No worries, not my only set of wheels.

The original objective was top speed. Now it is responsiveness. I believe it will be on the road by years end.

Last edited by cjv; 10-30-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 AM
cjv
There is nothing about this car that goes smoothly. Rob at Scargo told me yesterday the turbos still have not arrived. They were ordered six weeks ago from Tial. Apparently the custom case, motor sport bearings and billet impellers have slowed things down.

The good news is, Rob confirmed they have been shipped. Once they arrive everything will be shipped to Performance Development to be engine dyno tuned.

Last edited by cjv; 11-14-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:38 AM
cjv
This whole situation is getting to be a comedy of errors. The turbo's came in last week and Scargo was assembling all the parts for the engine dyno test.

Well they couldn't find the headers so they are building a new set. I am now told the motor will ship to Performance Development this coming Wednesday.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:51 PM
KhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud ofKhanNSX has much to be proud of
After all these years and directions, it'll be interesting to hear your impression of all the different mods and decisions made along the way.

It'll also be interesting to hear your view on the car compared to others you've owned or driven.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by KhanNSX
After all these years and directions, it'll be interesting to hear your impression of all the different mods and decisions made along the way.

It'll also be interesting to hear your view on the car compared to others you've owned or driven.
I'd be happy to. Of all the mods, the only one I regret was the 82.4mm crank. If I was to do it over again I would have stayed with the 80.4mm crank. The case just doesn't have the proper deck height to allow a 132 mm rod length. We were able through many tricks to obtain just under 130mm maximum.

To get the longer rods length we worked on the piston height, offsetting the wrist pins so they are center lined and reduce the wrist pin diameter all the while utilizing stronger wrist pin material and black like diamond coating.

The most interesting of all mods was offsetting the wrist pins so they are a true center line to the bore. Believe it or not, they do not come stock from the factory offset center lined. By offsetting and center lining the motor becomes much smoother as well as picking up power in addition to being able to increase the rod length.

Later I'll go over each modification and my assessment of the mod.

Last edited by cjv; 12-08-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM
cjv
I believe I'll have to throw a party! The motor was delivered to Performance Development. Let the Engine Dyno begin.

The delay was I couldn't get any carrier to insure the motor. Finally had to assemble all the receipts and a letter of value for the insurance company. They finally covered it for fire, flood and thief under my homeowner policy.

Last edited by cjv; 01-15-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I believe I'll have to throw a party! The motor was delivered to Performance Development. Let the Engine Dyno begin.

The delay was I couldn't get any carrier to insure the motor. Finally had to assemble all the receipts and a letter of value for the insurance company. They finally covered it for fire, flood and thief under my homeowner policy.
Very Nice! Can't wait to see the results!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring