Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Seat question/legality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 PM
chuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura about
Seat question/legality

Is a seat like this legal for use on the street?

I want one for track duty, but may have to drive the car on the street once in a while. Do you guys think I'd get pulled over for visibility issues?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Dlack66 is on a distinguished road
Those are not street legal seats. Recaro should specify on their website.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 PM
mille162 is on a distinguished road
street legal

I feel I've become something of a seat expert over the last year due to my business (I'm also an authorized Recaro dealer).

From what I learned and now understand, you seat is legal as long as it doesn't hinder you getting out of the car, and it doesn't interfere with the nomral operation of your DOT approved seatbelt.

I have had many friend put raceseats in their car and not have a problem passing yearly state inspection, so the "interference" arguement is subjective. Also, a HANS seat with the large helmet wings might give you a problem at some inspection stations as it does restrict your sideview somewhat (again, open to local inspection interpretation). If you install them, just make sure you go to a more racer friendly inspection station.

if you were injured in an accident and were looking to sue (or your insurance was looking for an excuse to not pay injury claim), the fitness and legality of the seat would probably be argued, although I think you would win the arguement as long as you were using a FIA approved seat, properly installed. That said, I'd rather be in an accident in a properly mounted race seat than a standard car seat anyday (just think of how much more injured you'd be in a regular seat!)

FIA product approval, although more stringent than NHSTA standards, doesn't mean it's "legal". Also keep in mind that composite shells have a shelf life due to the resin breaking down over time and the FIA rating does expire (if you're going to pay attention to it in the first place).

If seatbelt operation is a problem, you can legally replace your belts with SCHROTH belts (DOT approved). There are guidelines to the mounting bolts and mounting points that have to be used, however your authorized SCHROTH retailer will be able to help you with that. They do make kits for many of the more popular cars (had a bolt in kit for my M5).

If you can spend the money, an option to consider might be the Porsche GT2 seat. It's a carbon shell, 2 piece design so you can still get to the back seat for storage, shoulder slots to handle racing harness, and a DOT approved racing shell. Also the Porsche GT3 racing shell (made by Recaro) has a DOT stamp of approval.

good luck and post pics when you install what you've decided on.