Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Calling all turbocharger experts. Need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Calling all turbocharger experts. Need help.

I recently upgraded to K24/20G billet turbos. Once they were installed I did a pressure test to find any leaks in the system. Well I found out the system can't hold any pressure at all. After some investigating it seems that the air is rushing out of one of the plugs beside The oil inlet for the turbo. There are two plugs on each turbo, One on either side of the oil inlet to the turbo. Air is only coming out of one of the plugs. Here is a picture of the center section of the K 24 where you can see the plugs on either side of the Oil inlet hole.

I looked at the k16 turbos and they do not have these plugs. My best guess is that these are for water cooling?

My question is should air even be entering the center section of the turbos? Or does this mean they are defective?

Thanks!!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Scratch that. The air is not coming out of that plug. It's coming out of this hole on the back of the Compressor housing Plate where a plaque was riveted to it. WTF? The one on the other turbo looks the same but not sure if it is also leaking. Will check that out.

Last edited by NTIMD8; 04-26-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Called the guys who built the turbos and they had me plug the holes in each Turbo backing plate. The system now seems to hold pressure using the boost leak tester but the car is still only making 0.8Bar of boost VS. the 1.3 the tune is commanding. Fun times.