Opinions Please: If You Could Have One Vehicle as Your DD

Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 AM
HyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really nice
Opinions Please: If You Could Have One Vehicle as Your DD

We've all probably read topics like this in one form or another, but I really enjoy reading other people's opinions about it, even the bad ones. I'm looking at the near future (weeks/months) to be able to splurge on a supercar. As a previous GT-R owner, my inclination is to go back to one, probably a '13 model year. There are a number of other vehicles out there that compare with a GT-R performance wise (though not overall, all things considered) so I'm asking for everyone's opinion. Here is the selection criteria:

Must be considered supercar worthy (0-60 below 4 seconds, 1/4 mile below 12 seconds, top speed 180mph+)

Can be new or used

Must be below $100K

Annual maintenance costs must exceed $2,500 annually (three year aggregate)

Must be able to be used as a realistic DD (no garage queens)

Mid-Atlantic location, so will be driven with dedicated snow tires during the Winter months if not AWD

Lastly, and this is subjective, but it needs to be something you don't see every Tom, Dick, and Harry driving around. I put my old GT-R, CTS-V Wagon, and G8 GT into that category (the G8 GT because I rebadged it to look like the '09 Holden Commodore SSV Special Edition).

I may alter the selection criteria, based upon feedback I receive from the group. So let the personal opinions fly! Thanks.

Last edited by HyperDrive; 04-06-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 AM
HyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really nice
Wow, not even one response? Then can someone tell me where else I may post this to induce people to answer? I thought by posting on 6Speedonline, I would be getting a vendor/model neutral group of people. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:45 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I think you haven't gotten responses because this topic has been discussed numerous times in numerous threads. But I've put my thoughts below anyway since I have time to waste today...

Originally Posted by HyperDrive
Here is the selection criteria:

Must be considered supercar worthy (0-60 below 4 seconds, 1/4 mile below 12 seconds, top speed 180mph+)

Annual maintenance costs must be below $1,500
These two things are contrary to one another. Nothing that's considered supercar worthy has maintenance costs this low. Here's a simple breakdown of an average 3 year period with minimum costs for a generic supercar:
Oil changes (once a year @ $100 each) - $300
Brake fluid (once a year @ $50 each) - $150
Brake pads and rotors (once every 3 years @ $500 each) - $500
Other fluids - brake, coolant, tranny, diffs, etc (once every 3 years @ $500 total) - $500
Summer tires (once every 3 years) - $1200
Winter tires (once every 3 years) - $1200
Repairs ($1000/year for misc. fixes which I think is really low) - $3000
TOTAL = $6,850
Per year = $2,283.33

So this is already over your figure of $1,500/year and it's what I would consider a minimum. If you had to replace something like an alternator, water pump, clutch or another major part you could easily use up the $3,500 three year budget on that repair alone, nevermind all of the normal maintenance.

Mid-Atlantic location, so must be driven with dedicated snow tires during the Winter months if not AWD
Anything that's considered a "supercar" would have to have dedicated summer and winter tires or else it's just wasting the performance, so why buy it? So again, your tire budget alone could eat up a big portion of the $3,500 three year budget (if not all of it since it's a DD and you might be driving 15k miles/year so you'll average needing one new set of tires per year @ $1,200 minimum per set for any tires that are supercar-worthy!).

Lastly, and this is subjective, but it needs to be something you don't see every Tom, Dick, and Harry driving around. I put my old GT-R, CTS-V Wagon, and G8 GT into that category (the G8 GT because I rebadged it to look like the '09 Holden Commodore SSV Special Edition).
This really makes it hard to put anything down since myself (and most other people I would venture to say) would never consider a G8 to be something you don't see every day, plus just changing a badge doesn't make a car any less ordinary. Even a CTS-V is just a different badge on an otherwise somewhat common car in terms of looks since the Cadillac sedans all look very similar. Of course the power/engine of the CTS-V is anything but common, but unless somebody is a car enthusiast, the CTS-V doesnt really stick out at all.

If you remove the maintenance budget criteria, throw out the GTR since you've already had it, and throw out modded cars since you can mod almost any car to do 0-60 under 4 seconds, that only leaves one car I can think of that does 0-60 under 4 secs stock, the 911 Turbo.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I think you haven't gotten responses because this topic has been discussed numerous times in numerous threads. But I've put my thoughts below anyway since I have time to waste today...
Great, thanks for taking time out of your busy day to help a retired military member!

Here's a simple breakdown of an average 3 year period with minimum costs for a generic supercar:
TOTAL = $6,850
Per year = $2,283.33
Okay, I will adjust maintenance to approximately $2,500 per year as that appears to be more realistic.

This really makes it hard to put anything down since myself (and most other people I would venture to say) would never consider a G8 to be something you don't see every day, plus just changing a badge doesn't make a car any less ordinary.
A, "lowly", G8, right, lol? I have been very, very surprised at the attention my Holden Commodore SSV clone has received. Quite often I have people approach me, asking what it is, and then complimenting its good looks. And with the Livernois build and tune I have, it has a classic muscle car rumble that I just love. It doesn't have the upper crust pedigree that a Porsche has, but people seem to like such an inferior car, and there you have it.

If you remove the maintenance budget criteria, throw out the GTR since you've already had it, and throw out modded cars since you can mod almost any car to do 0-60 under 4 seconds, that only leaves one car I can think of that does 0-60 under 4 secs stock, the 911 Turbo.
No, I'm actually leaning towards another GT-R. And truth be told, Porsches just don't do anything for me. I respect the numbers some of them can put up, but I just don't get into the Porsche thing at all. I was around quite a few of them the last time I took my previously owned GT-R to the track, and they seem to be a very particular bunch. Some even a bit snobbish. And those were the guys I was driving past, lol.

Again, thanks for your feedback, it was much appreciated.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 AM
Hmm, I'm surprised no one has suggested the 2014 Corvette Stingray or the 2015 Corvette Z06.

Last edited by HyperDrive; 07-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 AM
OklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to beholdOklahomaGT2 is a splendid one to behold
2014 Corvette Stingray or the 2015 Corvette Z06
Dodge Vipers
Noble M400 or Rossion Q1
996/997 Porsche Turbo or GT2

Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by OklahomaGT2
2014 Corvette Stingray or the 2015 Corvette Z06
Dodge Vipers
Noble M400 or Rossion Q1
996/997 Porsche Turbo or GT2
Interesting choices, although as daily drivers, some of those vehicles may be a challenge in colder, wintry weather.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant future
Dbs.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
We've all probably read topics like this in one form or another, but I really enjoy reading other people's opinions about it, even the bad ones. I'm looking at the near future (weeks/months) to be able to splurge on a supercar. As a previous GT-R owner, my inclination is to go back to one, probably a '13 model year. There are a number of other vehicles out there that compare with a GT-R performance wise (though not overall, all things considered) so I'm asking for everyone's opinion. Here is the selection criteria:

Can be new or used

Must be below $100K

Annual maintenance costs must exceed $2,500 annually (three year aggregate)

Must be able to be used as a realistic DD (no garage queens)

Mid-Atlantic location, so will be driven with dedicated snow tires during the Winter months if not AWD

I may alter the selection criteria, based upon feedback I receive from the group. So let the personal opinions fly! Thanks.

A preowned lightly modded Panamera Turbo might work. Great DD, 600hp with ecu mod, AWD.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by NelsonF
A preowned lightly modded Panamera Turbo might work. Great DD, 600hp with ecu mod, AWD.
I see you are a former GT-R owner. I currently have a '14 Premium, and owned an '09 when the GT-R's first hit the road. I've also owned two CTS-V's, an M6. How much that modding cost that you mentioned for the Turbo, and would that put it closer to GT-R performance?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Dexston is on a distinguished road
AWD only? That really narrows down a lot of choices. It seems that you are already accepting of the looks of the GT-R so I would just get the GT-R if I was you. Dollar for dollar there isn't much that could beat one in pure acceleration speed.

Being that you are in the "GT-R" world - when are they proposing a new design? The current body style is semi appealing to me at times, but overall it lacks something. I have a feeling the next car will be quite the looker too.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Dexston
AWD only? That really narrows down a lot of choices. It seems that you are already accepting of the looks of the GT-R so I would just get the GT-R if I was you. Dollar for dollar there isn't much that could beat one in pure acceleration speed.

Being that you are in the "GT-R" world - when are they proposing a new design? The current body style is semi appealing to me at times, but overall it lacks something. I have a feeling the next car will be quite the looker too.
The AWD criteria is due to having only desiring one vehicle. And as far as accepting of the GT-R's looks, lol, I get compliments on it almost EVERY time I drive it. Not sure about the looks comment, though, because the only folks I've ever gotten anything negative about the vehicle were Porsche owners. I'll admit the GT-R is not going to have the same aesthetics, beauty, and lines as Ferrari, Lamborghini, or other such high end exotic. But you're right, dollar for dollar, it's hard to find another vehicle that can match it in acceleration and handling, and be AWD. And I can tell you from having owned a first year model (2009) and now owning a 2014, the improvements in performance, handling, fit and finish are quite noticeable. At the same time, the vehicle's appearance is starting to get a bit stale. The R36 should change all that, as well as move the line in the sand again for performance.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 AM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by NelsonF
+1

Or Cayenne Turbo! Which is more practical and it can be a great DD! I've had mine for 3 years, it is pushing close to 600HP. Check out some acceleration clips up in my Instagram account.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM
bspeedatl is an unknown quantity at this point
Great question... I've asked it to myself and an M3 topped my list twice now.. I then went s4 heavily modded route.. Both were great cars.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Steph1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to agree about the GTR looks. Appeals to the dropped civic crowd, but is in great need of an update. It looked awesome when it came out, but didn't age very well. I am certain that the remodelling will be as awesome as it was when it originally came out.

My problem living in winter wonderland 4-5 months of the year, is that no vehicle does everything well. Therefore If I can't afford my toy and a vehicle that completes it (and I don't mean a freekin beater, unless you're a summer poser) I just don't have one until I can afford it..

Around here, nobody tracks his/her car in the winter, nor can speed up on the highway given the cold temperature (poor tire adherence) and road conditions. So best choice to me is the new Jeep wrangler. Looks awesome, performs perfectly with the optional AWD on the Sahara, holds its value and best of all, it ages very well. Being in a class of its own, that is my choice. A Toyota Tacoma and Mercedes GL are other great choices..... I'm sure you'll come-up with the best solution for you.

As far as image go, can't speak for where you are from, but people driving ''supercars'' in the winter around here, are seen as having poor judgement, or are posers that can't afford to have another decent car to drive in the winter. There's something about a supercar that is full of salt and road grime that is just...… wrong !! So I don't blame people for thinking that.

Last edited by Steph1; 10-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions Please: If You Could Have One Vehicle as Your DD