Wheels/Tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mis-matched lugbolt question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:44 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
Mis-matched lugbolt question

So a few months ago, I got new wheels mounted (HRE FF01) at the time, the shop used the provided HRE lug bolts, and 1 OE locking lug bolt per wheel, I am noticing some vibration at 60 and significant over 120, Could the possible weight difference in these bolts cause this?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I doubt that s it. If that was so then they d have to balance wheels with the lugs on there. Not to mention every time you put wheels on and off it would matter where the bolts went back too.... I d check the balance first on a hunter road force machine. Most likely a wheel will be out of balance.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
TiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of light
We manufacture a security lock option as well, weighing the same as the standard titanium lug bolt. Feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail in regards to complimenting your HRE's with our precision titanium hardware.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:56 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
If the HRE lug bolts and wheels use different style bolts, which some do, and an oem one was used, that would be a problem too.
Why did you not use the oems all around? Just another thought.
Again, the difference in weight in the center of the wheel wouldn t cause the issue IMO.
Last time I brought my 911 for a vibration over 100 MPH it was indeed the tire which was not found on the first balance on an inferior machine.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cerbomark
If the HRE lug bolts and wheels use different style bolts, which some do, and an oem one was used, that would be a problem too.
Why did you not use the oems all around? Just another thought.
Again, the difference in weight in the center of the wheel wouldn t cause the issue IMO.
Last time I brought my 911 for a vibration over 100 MPH it was indeed the tire which was not found on the first balance on an inferior machine.
Was an odd situation, guy bought my wheels while it was at the shop, told him he could have OEM bolts since HRE had new ones, Shop asked me if I wanted to keep my locks, said sure... It just recently dawned on me that HRE aren't collared like the OEM, and I'm sure they have different weights...

Old 01-18-2017, 03:31 PM
well not the weight that s the problem... if it s a different design bolt I wouldn t drive until corrected. It is possible you could ruin the wheel lug hole also.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM
there are tapered , ball, and flat type.... depends on wheel manufactuer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.