997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE 700 kit review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
AWE 700 kit review

I have always been of the philosophy that mods should complement a car and not try to adversely change the nature of it. To date all of my mods have been chosen carefully to reflect such a decision. Since this is a car driven and enjoyed by my wife as well, any degradation in drivability would be met with extreme prejudice and spousal anguish. I have chosen AWE as a tuner because I like their approach to tuning. Their goal is a complete balanced project while retaining stock or better than stock drivability. Onto to the review:

I:Components:
The 700 kit consists of the larger VTG turbos, larger intercooler cores, larger throttle body, larger intake plenum, headers, exhaust, and ECU programming. The craftsmanship of the components is top notch. Everything is at the level of factory finish or better. Fitment is perfect with no monkeying around. A friend of mine who is a master Porsche tech helped put in the plenum while I worked on the intercoolers and he made the unsolicited comment that the fitment of the pieces was remarkable. He is used to much "looser" tolerances in tuning products.

II:Installation:
If you can install your own exhaust you can do this whole kit. I actually installed and reinstalled the kit twice and total install time I would place at about 10 hours for 1 person. No specialty tools are required beyond some male and female torx sockets and some PB Blaster. All bolts and nuts are accessible by normal sized human hands. I would rate the procedure at about a 6/10 in the scale of difficulty. 1/10 as checking your tire pressure manually, and 10/10 being an engine rebuild.

Basic procedure involves
1)jack up car with supports
2)remove rear wheels
3)remove rear fender liners
4)remove tail lights and license plate
5)remove rear bumper
6)unbolt intercoolers with brackets as a unit
7)move heat shields out of the way to expose turbos
8)remove turbo hardlines and ducts
9)unbolt nuts from turbo to exhaust and header
10)remove headers
11)loosen exhaust
12)remove turbos - remove diverter valves and oil reservoir and swap onto new turbos
13)remove air box and filter
14)remove y-pipe and disconnect IAT sensor
15)remove throttle body
16)remove plenum
17)reinstallation in reverse of above

III:Impressions:
I have been a little bit hesistant to post my impressions because it is simply going to sound like an AWE sackride. However I will parlay the experience to date as openly as I can. Idle, throttle response is all indistinguishable from my stage II which was better than stock. There is no hesitation whatsoever, and no noticeable lag increase. Engine noise is unchanged as is the exhaust note. Throttle tip-in is all the same, so no new clutch techniques are needed. The only thing necessary is increased vigilance when mashing the throttle. My car was fast, especially with the race program with the stage II. I never felt any lack of power. This new package increases that intensity by 100% it seems. I am realizing that I have to look far ahead in traffic because your reaction time is going to be tested with this kind of power. I don't think that this car can be fully appreciated on the street at all. The boost builds so quickly that it shocks you. Full boost comes on by 2500 rpms or less it seems, but it is hard to say for sure because you don't have time to glance down at the gauge. I will get some GPS timing done soon but it does appear to be producing an appreciable jump in power from before. BTW this is all on the pump gas - I have not even tried the race mode yet!

I will be posting more installation pics later

Last edited by eclou; 03-20-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
Congrats on a successful install. Any plans to dyno the car soon?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
CWtwin is a jewel in the roughCWtwin is a jewel in the roughCWtwin is a jewel in the rough
Great write up. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the AWE sytem but I have to ask, I havnt tracked my car but intend to some day. Do you think this kit is overkill for a daily driver or completely uneccesary. Will I be able to enjoy it on the streets? I already have many mods (Exhaust, headers, GIAC remap, TA coilovers) and the car is definately fast but I always seem to want more whether I can use it or not. Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Thanks for the great narrative and anxiously looking forward to your follow-ups. I visited AWE a month ago and was extremely impressed. Got a ride in their "beast" and all I can say is - wow. I seriously considered doing this entire set-up but I think it may be overkill for my type of driving. While I bought my first Porsche in 1978 and have had about 15 different Porsches (including 3 other Turbos), I am only an aggresive (I don't mean that in a dangerous way) street driver, not a track guy. I would like to get more involved in "light" tracking and maybe go to a driving school. I also have a twenty year old and a twenty-five year old that I let drive it and every once in a while my wife will drive it. I have AWE's exhaust and will do the ecu after I have some more miles on the car. Eclou, based on this short explanation of how I use the car, what are your thoughts?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
IV: Detailed installation pics

Previous exhaust installation instructions can be seen here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=67968

Turbo access is easy once the intercooler is off

Turbo hardlines and ducts removal. Use female and male torx sockets to loosen 5 hardlines from the turbo. I used a small chisel or screwdriver to help lift the flanges of these lines off the turbo. There is enough flex in the lines to push them off the body. The compressor ducts unscrew from the rear (inlet) tube and unclip from the side (outlet) tube. Careful not to hurt any of the O-rings on any of the lines. AWE very thoughtfully provided all new Viton O rings but I reused the old ones. Also remove the EGT probe with a 14mm wrench

Stock header being removed. Remove this first to allow easier turbo removal. Install new header after new turbo installation. Use liberal amounts of PB blaster for 2-3 days prior to attempt. Also, Passenger side headers is very close to the oil tank - end bolt can be accessible with a 1/4" drive 13mm socket since the 3/8" drive sockets are too wide to clear.

Header removed. Exhaust ports are exposed, as is the turbine inlet of the turbo. I used carb cleaner to remove some of the carbon to ensure a clean mating surface for the new headers. The new AWE headers are perfectly matched in size to the exhaust ports ensuring uninhibited flow.

New header installed. Beautiful contours. The primaries and collector are matched in size to the head and turbo to ensure optimal flow. Good access in maintained to all mounting bolts. Do not tighten the header in place until the turbo is fitted to the lines and exhaust - you need some play here to get the turbo flanges to fit over the studs, then tighten everything down

Diverters are removed from the stock turbo. Just unfasten 3 10mm bolts. Reassemble to new turbo with a dab of blue or green loctite

Swap out the oil reservoir. Held in place with 2 torx bolts. Replace O ring with new one thoughtfully provided in kit

Intercooler fitment - old intercooler cores are smaller than the new ones. The stock cores are recessed inside the frame of the intercooler, whereas the new ones are flush. The ducts need to be trimmed with a utility knife to allow the ducts to fit flush and clamp properly. The plastic is thin so trimming is a breeze - maybe 10 minutes

Attached Images          

Last edited by eclou; 03-03-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Throttle body removed and stock plenum coming out

New plenum going into place

New plenum installed. Best way is to push the rubber hoses inward onto the plenum, fit it in place, the push the hoses out to place. Rotate the plenum with the throttle body flange downward to allow easier access to the vacuum hose fittings

New throttle body is significantly larger than stock

Plenum and throttle body installed. Looks completely stock

Attached Images            

Last edited by eclou; 03-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Duffy and CWT,

It is definitely usable power. You just don't need to put the throttle all the way down. One can easily still modulate how much power you want to have by the throttle, but just have to learn to be more judicious in the application of it. If the stock car had a "power/fun" dial that went to 5, then Stage II dial went to 8, and this is about a 12.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Eugene,

Is this an AWE sackride? Just kidding.

That sounds intense to say the least and Mike has been nothing more than great to deal with from my experience as well. I have always look at Protomotive as a source for this type of upgrade but it looks like GIAC/AWE has it down to a science as well.

I hope to have this setup by the middle of summer. I am like Duffy and several on here with the street driving more than track driving. Judicious and 700hp doesn't seem to go hand in hand

Thank you for the review and detailed pictures of the process. It is impressive when someone not only mods a car to the kind of horsepower you have but more impressive is when a person is involved personally in the installation. I am a hands on as much as I can.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
tws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to all
I don't see pricing on their site. Can someone get me an idea on pricing? Looking forward to your 60-130 times with this kit

Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
i don't see any pics posted by eclou on the two threads, both with opera, firefox or IE7, no problems with all the other pics of the board...

can someone host them on a website imageshack ?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tws_andrew
I don't see pricing on their site. Can someone get me an idea on pricing? Looking forward to your 60-130 times with this kit
Please email me.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Gene,

Thanks for the detailed write up, and we are glad you are pleased with the finished product.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:07 PM
ee996tt is on a distinguished road
Awesome write-up!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Wow...thank you for sharing.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
EC Lou,

Great writeup. Have you seen how the 700 package works with a tip ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: AWE 700 kit review