6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Steering wheel disassembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:25 PM
mkiv808 is on a distinguished road
Steering wheel disassembly?

Posting here since this steering wheel is shared across a number of Porsche models. This is in a 2011 Cayenne but I believe this wheel is also in 911's.

The steering wheel has had this discoloring since I bought it. I'm guessing the previous owner spilled something.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions or diagrams on how this wheel disassembles? Hoping I can fix this by taking it apart and cleaning it, or repaintinh if necessary.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
DCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond repute
that foggy stain behind the display window means it trapped water before
hard to remove even you remove the trim and get there

check this video, from 5:00

Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 AM
olegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond reputeolegd has a reputation beyond repute
The trick to removing the bezel is to heat the back of the wheel with hair dryer.

Remove the steering wheel from the column first. As the video shows, the bezel attaches to the wheel with plastic posts. When heated they slide out easier. You need to pull by hand, don't try to pry it with a screwdriver or you'll break something underneath.

Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2017, 05:53 AM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by olegd
The trick to removing the bezel is to heat the back of the wheel with hair dryer.

Remove the steering wheel from the column first. As the video shows, the bezel attaches to the wheel with plastic posts. When heated they slide out easier. You need to pull by hand, don't try to pry it with a screwdriver or you'll break something underneath.

Hope this helps
That video helped a lot. But I'm still wondering if the inside of the clear plastic can be accessed? It looks like there are several screws that need to be removed to separate it? Has anyone done this? It seems like a lot of work...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.