6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   6speed Technical Information forum (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/6speed-technical-information-forum-184/)
-   -   OBD-II Scanners / Apps (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/6speed-technical-information-forum/422932-obd-ii-scanners-apps.html)

TheFlapjack 07-29-2018 05:36 PM

OBD-II Scanners / Apps

I am considering getting the Torque Pro app and applicable dongle.

What app are you using?
What information are you able to read?
android or iOS?

I am aware of the Durametric, but just looking to see what else there is and what it can read?

Macster 08-01-2018 05:37 PM

No app for me. I do not own a smart phone.

For years I used a standalone (handheld with a cable that connects to the OBD2 port) Actron OBD2 code reader/data viewer with limited (~60 seconds) data logging capability. The device talked to all but CAN vehicles. (Bought the Actron back shortly after I bought a new '96 Mustang GT, 1996 being the first year for OBD2 compliance. As a result the Actron did not support CAN which did not exist then. I am sure newer versions support CAN.)

The Actron tool allowed me to read active, pending, and permanent (only can be cleared by the ECU after so many warm up cycles with error not present) error codes, and clear active/pending codes. Furthermore I could retrieve freeze frame data, and the error that triggered the freeze frame action, check readiness monitor status, and view engine/car telemetry provided for by the 1st 32 OBD2 PIDs (Parameter IDs). Telemetry like coolant temperature, intake air temperature, air flow, RPMs, speed, (narrow band) O2 sensor values, short/long term fuel trims, and so on.

It also offered me the ability to initiate some ECU built in tests that tested O2 sensor performance.

The Actron paid for itself many times over. I used it with the Mustang, VW Golf, Boxster, 996 Turbo, and a number of other cars owned by family, friends, and co-workers.

When I sold my Boxster I gave the Actron away as it did not work with my new (MY 2018) cars.

I now have a handheld Auto Xray which is more feature rich than the Actron (at nearly 20 years newer it had better be) and offers the ability to, for example, read/display wide band O2 sensors data, and even plot this data on the display. There are other features but I have not spent that much time with the device to know what all it has to offer. (I didn't buy it, but claimed it when it was being thrown out at where I work.)

The Auto Xray does not give one access to any factory proprietary OBD2 data or access to other non ECU controllers, like security, ABS, etc. For Porsche to get to some of the other stuff in the car Durametric is all there is if one is unable to obtain a PST2 or newer Porsche factory diagnostic computer.

jakethunder 08-24-2018 03:50 PM

I use Torque Pro on my Android phone with a run of the mill OBDII reader that creates it's own WIFI hotspot. Connect the OBDII dongle to the car, wait for it to light up, then turn on Torque Pro. I primarily use it to read CEL codes that my exhaust is throwing. It can also monitor a bunch of other data feeds, but that part doesn't interest me too much so I haven't played with it very long.