911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

To spoiler, or not to spoiler - 1970's SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Mang0 is on a distinguished road
To spoiler, or not to spoiler - 1970's SC

Hi,

This of course comes down to personal feelings about the spoilers and the authenticity of the 911 whether to keep it factory or not, this I realize.

I'm hoping some blokes will chime in on my car specifically and give an opinion.

I bought it like this, with the plastic on it to make it look more 964-like. There are key components missing to make it more realistic, and some gurus can spot the differences. That being said, the car isn't original, nor will I restore it that way so that's not a limiting factor in the decision.

See the pic posted and excuse the pixels! My main hold-up about going with a tea cup tray spoiler (or any spoiler for that matter) is the SS targa bar, it dates the car (in an absolutely fantastic way, I am in love with it).

What are your guys' thoughts - spoiler or no? If yes, duck tail, tea cup, old turbo tail, etc. etc?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151031_150801.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	435808  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Lifeisgood2 is on a distinguished road
If you go with a spoiler in the rear, (many available for short money), you will need a chin spoiler as well. It is a matter of personal taste. Some like the "clean" look of the car with out it, some, like myself, like the "iconic" look with the whale tail. It is your car, do what you feel satisfies your taste.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:29 PM
lhd7 is on a distinguished road
I specifically waited and looked for a car with out a spoiler as I love the

clean look with out it

Old 01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mang0
Hi,

This of course comes down to personal feelings about the spoilers and the authenticity of the 911 whether to keep it factory or not, this I realize.

I'm hoping some blokes will chime in on my car specifically and give an opinion.

I bought it like this, with the plastic on it to make it look more 964-like. There are key components missing to make it more realistic, and some gurus can spot the differences. That being said, the car isn't original, nor will I restore it that way so that's not a limiting factor in the decision.

See the pic posted and excuse the pixels! My main hold-up about going with a tea cup tray spoiler (or any spoiler for that matter) is the SS targa bar, it dates the car (in an absolutely fantastic way, I am in love with it).

What are your guys' thoughts - spoiler or no? If yes, duck tail, tea cup, old turbo tail, etc. etc?

IMHO ducktail or nothing. Personally I think it is perfect as is , but if you want a spoiler a ducktail would look good.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
lhd7 is on a distinguished road
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...hread-112.html

128 pages of Targa pics so you can get completely confused - or inspired.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM
max928 is on a distinguished road
No spoiler.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Mang0 is on a distinguished road
So a bit of a necro of my own thread as I've read the reviews.

The majority of my driving is all highway/freeway and about 90% of the time I drive the car with the top off and typically for long(er).

Does having the roof off affect aerodynamics in a way which makes putting a tail on negligible for down-force?

Everyone has varying opinions on whether or not it will look good. I suppose I could always buy a second trunk lid as well, that way if I end up hating it, simple trunk swap and voila.