991 Turbo Vs California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boostfiend
If you are in the market for a Cali I would highly suggest waiting for the TT V8.
Next Cali is TT? What? Source?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
and an interior that doesnt feel like the electronic interface is stolen out of an aftermarket navigation catalogue
this will forever be inexcusable in my eyes.
I find most small manufacturer simply don't invest their money into navigation system, or maybe they build so few cars that they couldn't get a decent deal from supplier.

Aston Martin have uses the same pop up screen that looks like something from the early 90s. The same pop up screen used since they launched the Vantage back in 06 is in the latest 300k Vanquish. The center console might be different, but... Compare that to what is in the Audi A7, it is night and day.

I personally don't opt for navigation or upgrade stereo in any of my cars unless it come standard, which also mean they build that into the MSRP. Just don't have a need for either. It trims a few bucks but that goes into other over-priced options instead.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
I went from a 997.1 C2S (daily driven for 4 years) to a 2010 Nero Daytona/Cuoio California (daily driven 1.5 years). The C2S was a manual, I ruptured my left Achilles tendon executing a flying knee kick in muay thai and it was too painful to drive the C2S after my surgery.

1. A "decently" optioned California will be a near $250K car, I think this is still more than a 991 Turbo so not sure if pricewise we are comparing apples to apples. I once thought the prices of Porsche options were outrageous but they pale in comparison to Ferrari option pricing.

2. Maintenance is comparable. It cost $600-800 for annual servicing on the 911 (I'm not a DIYer). The Ferrari is $500-1200 (even years cost more). The dealership wanted to charge me $3xx to replace the battery on my 911, I took it to Sears and it was done for $170 or so. I recently had the California battery replaced, the Ferrari master technician made a house call to my place and it took over 1 hour as intake hoses need to be removed and his laptop needed to be plugged in after to run all the diagnostics. It cost me $500 but for the house call and labor I didn't complain. I did not want to take the Cali to Sears

I had an extended warranty on the 911 through a 3rd party, Fidelity Insurance. The extended warranty on the California is through Ferrari North America itself, the Power Cube Warranty is "supposed" to be equivalent to the 3 year OEM warranty. It was not cheap, $10500 for 2 years including 2 years of annual maintenance servicing but the cost of a replacement DCT Getrag tranny is $20K+ and the motorized hardtop $30K+ IIRC.

3. The 911 was great, bulletproof, no problems as a DD. The Cali has also been great, bulletproof, no problems as a DD. The Cali is a much better daily driver, more comfortable, more luxurious, a wonderful hardtop convertible, aggressive exhaust (I had the wires pulled so the baffles are permanently open on the exhaust), flawless DCT. The C2S was more sporty and lively.

Where I live 911s are a dime a dozen, there is nothing really unique about the car. In my office building's parking garage alone there are over 10 various iterations of the 911 from a 993 to a 997.2 TurboS. Most people around here can't tell the difference from one 911 and another, heck they probably can't distinguish a cayman from a TurboS. There are only 2 or 3 other Calis in my entire state. Even though my Cali is black, peeps are always taking pictures with their cameraphones, are giving me the thumbs up. I've had 2 women follow me off the highway on different occasions. I always make new friends coming out of the grocery store with random strangers gathered around the car. In 4+ years of Porsche ownership, I was asked about my car exactly one time by a stranger at the Chevron station.

The 991 Turbo is at the top of the food chain for Porsche. The California is the entry level Ferrari. Still, there is something magical about Ferrari ownership. Driving one is an "event" and provides a visceral thrill that has been sustained over 1.5 years. Driving the manual 911 became more of a "chore" in daily stop and go traffic. Neither was/is a weekend or track car so YMMV.

For many (including myself), the California is a gateway car for the 458. One becomes comfortable with Ferrari ownership with the California and looks towards moving up to a mid-engine, more sporty alternative.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
I would add that I drove the 997.2S PDK and it is also a very good transmission.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01105.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	243639  
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
there are rumors (about 2 years old), that the california will go to a twin turbo v8. granted the only motor i could think thats ready for something like that is the v8tt out of the maserati quattroporte.

so its probably just a rumor.

in daily driving it has to be the 991 turbo; better acceleration (more torque), better braking (its a 911), and an interior that doesnt feel like the electronic interface is stolen out of an aftermarket navigation catalogue

this will forever be inexcusable in my eyes.
Yeah I totally agree, the Ferrari interface (especially the Cali one) really looks old fashioned and from the 90's...it really needs updating.

In comparison, the 991 interface looks more refined and up-to-date.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM
farris has a spectacular aura aboutfarris has a spectacular aura about
The 458 is FAR better than a California and if 2 seats is an option, it is the no brainier choice IMHO.

The California is nice but not a true Ferrari in my eyes. Many may disagree, but I feel it was their attempt to capture a new market segment (the SL mercedes, Aston Martin, Bentley...)

If it was between just the 991tt and the Cali..... 991tt Turbo S all day long! The cash difference will allow for an exhaust and some nice touches on the Porsche.

Just My $.02

Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with surfan that California is not the right comparison for turbo/S because of the price gap. If I am in the market for 991 turbo/s, I would cross shop R8 V-10. To me, California is a very sporty GT, and Turbo/s is a sport car with GT benefits.

I actually think Ferrari options seems "reasonable" compare to Porsche consider the brand. Porsche breaks down their options into tiny pieces/lower cost. But they add up quickly.

I think I am drawn to the turbo because non-car folks can't tell the different between a carrera, cayman and turbo, so no pics, no video and no questions. .

Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by farris
The 458 is FAR better than a California and if 2 seats is an option, it is the no brainier choice IMHO.

The California is nice but not a true Ferrari in my eyes. Many may disagree, but I feel it was their attempt to capture a new market segment (the SL mercedes, Aston Martin, Bentley...)

If it was between just the 991tt and the Cali..... 991tt Turbo S all day long! The cash difference will allow for an exhaust and some nice touches on the Porsche.

Just My $.02
What will be a true Ferrari 458? F12? F70? They all expanded their product line so there is something out there for everyone. Good for consumers and more $ for them.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
If you have a problem deciding between the two, just buy both. LOL~

I have voted with my money. 991 Turbo S for me. The California sounds very sexy but I'd prefer a mid-engined car if I were to buy a Ferrari, i.e. 458 Spyder.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by K-E-V
If you have a problem deciding between the two, just buy both. LOL~

I have voted with my money. 991 Turbo S for me. The California sounds very sexy but I'd prefer a mid-engined car if I were to buy a Ferrari, i.e. 458 Spyder.
If it was a toss up between the 2, the Turbo would edge it out IMO.

I also do agree on our 2nd point. If you're going to buy a Ferrari, the 458 Spyder is the way to go. The 458 Spyder is considerably more expensive than the Turbo here. However, the real nail in the coffin here is the 2 year queue for it compared to 6 months on the Turbo.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
You must drive any and all cars to make a decision. All these cars feel completely different and sound different and look different.

The Ferrari cars are very reliable at this time and the leather and sports car sound driving experinece is amazing and has to be experienced so one can understand. Never ever assume.........take a long drive or rent a car in Las Vegas or slewhere to understand.

Its not fair to compared 458 Italia spider and coupes to 997 GT3 and 991TT cars as these are $350 to $450K cars. Just being fast is not the major factor any more for all of us..............hell if Fast & Cheap is all that matters a Corvette ZR1 with headers open exhaust and a tune is crazy fast but may or may not light ones fire.

I driven Californias and 458 Italias and new MCLarens.............they are all different.........in feel and personality. If I had to chose only 1 458 Spider. But she will be in the garage when it rains/ snows and its not doing track events and getting stione chipped.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Yeah I totally agree, the Ferrari interface (especially the Cali one) really looks old fashioned and from the 90's...it really needs updating.

In comparison, the 991 interface looks more refined and up-to-date.
That's the same head unit in my 2012 Jeep Wrangler which you could buy for under $20K.
The 991's rear end is also much nice looking than the plain looking and overly tall Cali butt which is butt ugly, IMO (I'm not against Ferraris in general as I've owned three, just against the Cali)

Last edited by bli8; 05-20-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
This is an interesting thread for several reasons.

I currently have a 2012 California, fairly well equipped, and just placed an order for a 2014 turbo S. I am in line for the 458 Spider, and my order should up in January or so, but I am gonna pass.

Why? The price is part of it, and only 2 seats is another. Although I drive my California with mostly just me in the car, I also have two kids (3 and 5) that love to go with me some times.

I love, love, love, love my California. It does, however, have quite a few build quality issues. Have had to have back to dealer several times to have it fixed. True of a lot of cars, but these were things you wouldn't expect in a 260k vehicle.

I also want to trade out before the newer model is out, announced.

The other reason I like the turbo S is overall "value" compared to the 458, especially from a performance to performance standpoint. I am probably 120-130k cheaper than the 458 with my turbo S spec.

So, for me, at least for now, I would spec out the turbo S. I am interested in seeing how she sounds, and expect to be somewhat "disappointed" compared to the California. Nothing an exhaust couldn't fix to some degree should I want to go there.

Hope it helps.

J

Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle
This is an interesting thread for several reasons.

I currently have a 2012 California, fairly well equipped, and just placed an order for a 2014 turbo S. I am in line for the 458 Spider, and my order should up in January or so, but I am gonna pass.

Why? The price is part of it, and only 2 seats is another. Although I drive my California with mostly just me in the car, I also have two kids (3 and 5) that love to go with me some times.

I love, love, love, love my California. It does, however, have quite a few build quality issues. Have had to have back to dealer several times to have it fixed. True of a lot of cars, but these were things you wouldn't expect in a 260k vehicle.

I also want to trade out before the newer model is out, announced.

The other reason I like the turbo S is overall "value" compared to the 458, especially from a performance to performance standpoint. I am probably 120-130k cheaper than the 458 with my turbo S spec.

So, for me, at least for now, I would spec out the turbo S. I am interested in seeing how she sounds, and expect to be somewhat "disappointed" compared to the California. Nothing an exhaust couldn't fix to some degree should I want to go there.

Hope it helps.

J
I wouldn't be able to choose between the two because they are very different from all perspective. I see California as a GT, but TurboS as a more focus sport car. If I a paying that much more for a Ferrari, I am expecting much more entertainment from the exhaust too. But Ferrari is always louder and deeper, it is part of their "charm". The advantage of of 911 is it simply blend in on the road as another Porsche. That is the beauty of evolutionary design.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:11 AM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light
I think the tts should be better compared to the 458. Although one is a 2 seater, the performance is quite similar with the tts clinching it for outright acceleration and even perhaps faster around the ring. California though nice is not really for outright performance or track work and ferrari has never posted its fiorano timing. I think it's too heavy but makes a great GT. I think the ferrari magic is in their mid engine cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo Vs California