991 Turbo Vs California

Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
991 Turbo Vs California

Hi guys,
The price point of the new 991 Turbo is getting very close to Ferrari land, in particular, the California.

Has anyone driven both the 991 and California? What were the differences in terms of ride, engine, comfort, performance, top down experience, etc?

Ferrari in my mind as always been the more premium brand. However, the 991 has always been the car that can be easily driven everyday. Looks-wise, I think both look great. Although, I must admit the indicator lights of the non-Turbo 991 look better than the Turbo.

The California 30, I believe is almost out the door and about to be replaced with a successor probably in 2014.

If you had a choice, which would you choose and why?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM
jkonva is on a distinguished road
They are very different cars. One is a turbo charged monster that can easily be a daily driver and will likely require less expensive and less frequent maintenance. The other is a normally aspirated convertible and a Ferrari which could be a daily driver, but would likely be a pretty expensive one over time. If it was a third car, I would buy the California. If it was a daily driver, I would buy the Porsche. Also, I happen to live in a city without a Ferrari dealer so that is a major factor regarding ease of maintenance, particularly while under warranty.

Last edited by jkonva; 05-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by jkonva
They are very different cars. One is a turbo charged monster that can also be a daily driver and will likely require less expensive and less frequent maintenance. The other is a normally aspirated convertible and a Ferrari which could be a daily driver, but would likely be a pretty expensive one over time. If it was a third car, I would buy the California. If it was a daily driver, I would buy the Porsche. Also, I happen to live in a city without a Ferrari dealer so that is a major factor regarding ease of maintenance, particularly while under warranty.
Thanks for the reply jkonva. Yeah, I totally agree on the maintenance aspect. I too have heard it costs alot to keep it serviced and maintained.

Options/Personalizations on the car would probably cost more with the Ferrari probably just due to the exclusive brand.

Ferrari I believe, has 7 years of unlimited mileage warranty while the Porsche has only 2.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Thanks for the reply jkonva. Yeah, I totally agree on the maintenance aspect. I too have heard it costs alot to keep it serviced and maintained.

Options/Personalizations on the car would probably cost more with the Ferrari probably just due to the exclusive brand.

Ferrari I believe, has 7 years of unlimited mileage warranty while the Porsche has only 2.
Maintenance cost on 2012 cars are "free". Free service for 7 years. Warranty is not 7 years.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Hi guys,
The price point of the new 991 Turbo is getting very close to Ferrari land, in particular, the California.

Has anyone driven both the 991 and California? What were the differences in terms of ride, engine, comfort, performance, top down experience, etc?

Ferrari in my mind as always been the more premium brand. However, the 991 has always been the car that can be easily driven everyday. Looks-wise, I think both look great. Although, I must admit the indicator lights of the non-Turbo 991 look better than the Turbo.

The California 30, I believe is almost out the door and about to be replaced with a successor probably in 2014.

If you had a choice, which would you choose and why?
You can drive California daily, it blends into the traffic like any of 911, especially on a darker color.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
Maintenance cost on 2012 cars are "free". Free service for 7 years. Warranty is not 7 years.
Interesting, I didn't think anyone except BMW was still doing that.

991 Turbo for me, it's fast, comfortable, and reliable.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by Ynot
Interesting, I didn't think anyone except BMW was still doing that.

991 Turbo for me, it's fast, comfortable, and reliable.
Ferrari started that on 2012, a move that will keep their value on secondary market nice and healthy, more profit for dealership . I think 458, California are as comfortable if not more than 991, and much more comfortable than 997. I think 991 turbo/S is going to be stunning in person. Pricy but drop dead beautiful.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
While we are doing comparisons how about a R8 V10 plus vs the 991 turbo? R8 has better looks than the 991 in my opinion.

Yes, 2012 and onwards ferraris come with a 7 yr maintenance plan included in their price though the warranty is still just 3 yrs. Extended warranty can be purchased up to 9 years.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by aamersa
While we are doing comparisons how about a R8 V10 plus vs the 991 turbo? R8 has better looks than the 991 in my opinion.

Yes, 2012 and onwards ferraris come with a 7 yr maintenance plan included in their price though the warranty is still just 3 yrs. Extended warranty can be purchased up to 9 years.
The S-tronic R8 should be great, I will try to test drive one to see how it is compare to the old R-tronic, which wasn't great. R8 is a little dated to me, especially the interior. it is starting to feel like the "it" car of yesterday. I still take a second look when ever I see it on the road because I think it is still a great piece of industry design.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM
boostfiend is on a distinguished road
If you are in the market for a Cali I would highly suggest waiting for the TT V8.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Interesting comparison. The California has multiple firsts for Ferrari: Front engine V-8, DCT & hard top convertible. A pretty neat car.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by boostfiend
If you are in the market for a Cali I would highly suggest waiting for the TT V8.
What's the TT V8?

I think the Turbo in terms of appearance wins out by just a bit over the Cali. Both look stunning nevertheless.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I live in an area where I see the California's quite often and honestly to me, they look like "chick" cars. The only one that I've ever seen that looked masculine was black with black wheels. For me it would be a 991tt/tts without even a second thought.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I live in an area where I see the California's quite often and honestly to me, they look like "chick" cars. The only one that I've ever seen that looked masculine was black with black wheels. For me it would be a 991tt/tts without even a second thought.
The lines on the California is a lot softer compare to 458, F12 and FF. I am not a fan of any convertible so it does not do much for me. To me, most convertible does not look as aggressive as the hard top model. That said, only people I seen in California in either group drive or on the road are all man.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
What's the TT V8?

I think the Turbo in terms of appearance wins out by just a bit over the Cali. Both look stunning nevertheless.
there are rumors (about 2 years old), that the california will go to a twin turbo v8. granted the only motor i could think thats ready for something like that is the v8tt out of the maserati quattroporte.

so its probably just a rumor.

in daily driving it has to be the 991 turbo; better acceleration (more torque), better braking (its a 911), and an interior that doesnt feel like the electronic interface is stolen out of an aftermarket navigation catalogue

this will forever be inexcusable in my eyes.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo Vs California