What's better about the 991TTS than the 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
ol1970 will become famous soon enough
What's better about the 991TTS than the 997?

So I understand that the 991 TT & TTS is updated, nicer materials, more refined...probably a second or two faster around your local track, but at the end of the day other than if your lease cars, why would you trade a 997tts for a 991tts and write an 80k or so check? Has the car evolved to the point where technology isn't there to take the next step performance wise? Seems the GT3RS will probably be the car to have when it is unveiled...IMO

Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
991TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ol1970
So I understand that the 991 TT & TTS is updated, nicer materials, more refined...probably a second or two faster around your local track, but at the end of the day other than if your lease cars, why would you trade a 997tts for a 991tts and write an 80k or so check? Has the car evolved to the point where technology isn't there to take the next step performance wise? Seems the GT3RS will probably be the car to have when it is unveiled...IMO
no mater how u look at it .. or what ever porsche trying to do .. GT3 is never a DD

and now back to the 997 vs 991 ... i think the 997 is the best turbo ever " there is a but "

but i drove the 997 tt and the 991 cs i can feel the ride is much nicer in the 991 .. and the interior .. handling is the same i guess

Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I dunno, I imagine between the differences in the platforms of the 991 and 997 (wider track, longer wheelbase) and the PDCC and RWS, there will likely be a big difference in feel between the 991TTS and the 997 version. Whether that's worth the cost or even better at all subjectively, is going to be up each potential buyer.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
u already stated that you understand why the 991 TT and TTS is better.

seriously, this is a progression, not a revolution.

unless you consider how much faster over the 997.1TT we are talking about, i mean whats the ring time now? sub 7:30? thats a big deal.

ps i wont write a check, money is still cheap right now, loans exist for a reason.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 AM
Yep, I understand it is about incremental improvements, it just seems with the pricing of a loaded 991TTS, options start to open up a little. I mean, for my dollars in 18 months from now, I'd much rather get a gently used 458 Italia and just keep the 997. I'm sure it is an amazing car and I have no doubt I'll own some 991 variant at one point or another, just a tad bit disappointed there wasn't a more dramatic in your face type of performance upgrade for the new TT/TTS.

...& on a side note, I agree money is stupid cheap right now and technically the "smart" thing to do is get a loan, but I just never borrow money for any reason ever. Probably a little old fashion, but it is a rule that's treated me well so far : )

Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
Yep, I understand it is about incremental improvements, it just seems with the pricing of a loaded 991TTS, options start to open up a little. I mean, for my dollars in 18 months from now, I'd much rather get a gently used 458 Italia and just keep the 997. I'm sure it is an amazing car and I have no doubt I'll own some 991 variant at one point or another, just a tad bit disappointed there wasn't a more dramatic in your face type of performance upgrade for the new TT/TTS.

...& on a side note, I agree money is stupid cheap right now and technically the "smart" thing to do is get a loan, but I just never borrow money for any reason ever. Probably a little old fashion, but it is a rule that's treated me well so far : )
i think you are missing a bit of this, if you are sad that there is a slight bump in power, then yes, you got every right to be disappointed. but its always going to be a tech fest, which will make it much faster and easier to drive.

as for a 458, ehhhh. i never got along with the steering and the instrument cluster (im going to politely saying its frustrating), so i dont see the "give for it".

also you had one hell of an expensive sentence, "gently used 458" is 3 words that actually costs $240k+.

and yes i know there are 458s for less money, but they are never a good 458.

anyway, im excited for the 991TT, massively. every lap time ive seen shows an indicator of incredible speed. the point of this car imho, is effortless and stressfree performance compared to the drama and obscenely quick steering of a ferrari.

also torque, i love torque.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Watch...I'm the one talking myself out of buying one, my local dealer will get one and I'll probably be the first sucker to pull the trigger. I'm in a similar dilemma with the C7 Corvette...I'm a huge Vette guy (garage full of them), my company half the automation for thing, I get to watch first builds on the factory floor...but it just doesn't scream to me that I have to have it. The new Z06 will be awesome, but still slightly disappointed in the overall package.

On the 458 note, I was referring to 18 months from now, I'd suspect if history follows suit there will be 458 replacement out or soon to be out and prices for an under 5k mile coupe well equipped will be in the $200k range. All great decisions to have to toil with! Damn, life would be a lot cheaper if I didn't love cars/boats/women so much...

Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Not worth it. I wouldn't get a 991tts after owning a 997tts. That makes little sense. I would try something different for the money, perhaps even a different brand before coming back to porsche if and when you have the urge.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

I would not get a 458 . It can't be driven anywhere within reason and even if one does a Ferrari with mileage plummets in value , breaks often enough , and costs a fortune to repair . I think many do not realize how well organized Porsche prints out its technician manuals and how parts arrive in a timely manner . If one doesn't mind hearing "its on a boat from Italy" or "that will be 9K please for the repair" or seeing fingerprints all over the windows everywhere it's parked (if it even fits in a space) ,, then buy a 458 .

As for the 991tt . If one leaves the cars stock there will be improvements . The most significant thing i have seen with the 991 is the improved PDK and my guess is that the Turbo S will be amazing .
The hard part with buying a 991tt for some is when comparing a higlly tuned 997.1 Turbo where the engine platform was so perfect to modify .
Even the 996 turbo which has cassette player technology was modified well enough that when the 997 Turbo was launched it took awhile for the tuners to compete with the 7 years of modification research that went into the 996tt . To this date .. a modded 996tt is world class car and so will the 997 turbo remain at a high level .

They both wont be as comfortable as a 991 though and a stock 991 Turbo comes with 4 years of warranty and that new car smell on top of all the expected modern efficiency improvements.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
I must say, my 997.1 TT is finally tuned so perfect, that I personally will find it difficult to sell it, let alone drop $160k or so on the new one. I however, wouldn't mind a "reasonable" stable mate for the Turbo. Just saw a 2005 F430 in silver, black wheels with Ceramic rotors and yellow calipers that would match my Turbo perfect....C &C wants $129k.

Link to F430
http://www.cncexotics.com/detail-200...-10288854.html

-SZ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	247898  

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 06-02-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I would not get a 458 . It can't be driven anywhere within reason and even if one does a Ferrari with mileage plummets in value , breaks often enough , and costs a fortune to repair . I think many do not realize how well organized Porsche prints out its technician manuals and how parts arrive in a timely manner . If one doesn't mind hearing "its on a boat from Italy" or "that will be 9K please for the repair" or seeing fingerprints all over the windows everywhere it's parked (if it even fits in a space) ,, then buy a 458 .
I think 458, California will change some of the old perception on Ferrari. We will start seeing higher miles 458 for sale because the are being driven more. All cars drop in value, might as well drive them and not worry about it. We all love to get a fair value when trading in or selling a car, but that just isn't the case.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mdc
I think 458, California will change some of the old perception on Ferrari. We will start seeing higher miles 458 for sale because the are being driven more. All cars drop in value, might as well drive them and not worry about it. We all love to get a fair value when trading in or selling a car, but that just isn't the case.
This.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
boostfiend is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdc
As long as you aren't getting a delivery car it won't plummet the value that much within reason of course. Used 458 keep their value pretty well. But comparing an F car to a 991 turbo/s is complete apples too oranges. As said before if you like waiting months on end or having to go through Ferrari approval process to even get the part in the first place is quite the hassle. Porsche can get almost anything on time and if there is a wait it's minimal. Ferrari and waiting times go hand in hand. You absolutely need another car if you own a Ferrari where you can daily a 991/997/996TT-S and maintain it without worry or breaking the bank considerably.

Last edited by boostfiend; 06-03-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO
I must say, my 997.1 TT is finally tuned so perfect, that I personally will find it difficult to sell it, let alone drop $160k or so on the new one.

-SZ
I agree