I drove the 991 Turbo S and here's my review

Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
FASTRNU will become famous soon enoughFASTRNU will become famous soon enough
I wonder if the Oryx White Pearl is a white base coat followed by a clear pearl coat, or if it is a single mixed color? My very first sporty car 20 years ago was a Mitsubishi 3000GT, and the color was called Zurich White Pearl, and it was a white base with a clear pearl sprayed on top of that. The car was a nice bright white in the sun, but took on a light silver tone on cloudy days or near dusk.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FASTRNU
I wonder if the Oryx White Pearl is a white base coat followed by a clear pearl coat, or if it is a single mixed color? My very first sporty car 20 years ago was a Mitsubishi 3000GT, and the color was called Zurich White Pearl, and it was a white base with a clear pearl sprayed on top of that. The car was a nice bright white in the sun, but took on a light silver tone on cloudy days or near dusk.
I have no idea to be honest. The only thing I know is that it seems to be an expensive paint , even on VWs (twice the price of metallic paint). Not that it matters with a Porsche, since you always pay a lot for PTS colors. They ask CHF5800 ($6300) for it over here....

Suzy991

Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 PM
FASTRNU will become famous soon enoughFASTRNU will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I have no idea to be honest. The only thing I know is that it seems to be an expensive paint , even on VWs (twice the price of metallic paint). Not that it matters with a Porsche, since you always pay a lot for PTS colors. They ask CHF5800 ($6300) for it over here....

Suzy991
Kind of makes sense. If it is a separate pearl over white, that is twice the booth time, twice the amount of paint, twice the drying time, twice the everything, in addition to I would guess special production scheduling requirements for a single car sprayed in an exclusive color vs. spraying a whole bunch of Guards Red cars at a time, etc.

Only other reason would be if the paint itself were very expensive. Ford had a special color changing paint it put on Mustangs years ago that cost like $1000+ a quart, so it was the materials in this case that made it so expensive.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
PTS takes about 4-6 months... For me, it's worth waiting. Still have my Boxster, so I'm not P-car-less (although she is in hibernation right now).
I didn't know you had a Boxster . You are going for the ultimate combination. If I traded my Turbo the 991 Turbo S would be the 991 that sparks my interest . Having the Turbo and the mid engine roadster offers such amazing variety . You are in for a real treat with this !! What color interior ? The exterior choice is (IMO) gorgeous BTW !!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I didn't know you had a Boxster . You are going for the ultimate combination. If I traded my Turbo the 991 Turbo S would be the 991 that sparks my interest . Having the Turbo and the mid engine roadster offers such amazing variety . You are in for a real treat with this !! What color interior ? The exterior choice is (IMO) gorgeous BTW !!
Yes I bought that Boxster S earlier this year. Saw the car at my dealership, 4 months old with only 2500km, Basaltblack / Black / Alu roll-bar and a pretty rare (over here) manual transmission. Great car and we had already a lot of fun with it (roadrips to Italy and Austria), but for daily driving a little less suited, although very practical for a roadster.
Here she is:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-881387765.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	873.1 KB
ID:	290090

I'm not quite sure about the interior of the Turbo S yet. I'm going back and forth between simple black with white or silver deviated stitching, or Leather to Sample two-tone Black / Natural brown, maybe also with white deviated stitching.
I think the latter gives a more luxurious look and makes the car feel as expensive as she is, where the black is a little more sporty.

Here's a render of the black-natural brown:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-152210585.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	290085

Suzy991

Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Yes I bought that Boxster S earlier this year. Saw the car at my dealership, 4 months old with only 2500km, Basaltblack / Black / Alu roll-bar and a pretty rare (over here) manual transmission. Great car and we had already a lot of fun with it (roadrips to Italy and Austria), but for daily driving a little less suited, although very practical for a roadster.
Here she is:
Attachment 290090

I'm not quite sure about the interior of the Turbo S yet. I'm going back and forth between simple black with white or silver deviated stitching, or Leather to Sample two-tone Black / Natural brown, maybe also with white deviated stitching.
I think the latter gives a more luxurious look and makes the car feel as expensive as she is, where the black is a little more sporty.

Here's a render of the black-natural brown:
Attachment 290085

Suzy991
The Boxster looks great . I actually drive mine daily and use my Turbo as the weekend car . If I need more room I take the Cayenne (which BTW has two tone umber creme interior ).

I like both of your interior choices and I am not sure which I prefer . I do know that when a forum member posted his deviated stitching thread I, loved it !!! His choice was pebble gray on the black interior .https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-details.html

I also love the natural brown . Tough choices !!!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The Boxster looks great . I actually drive mine daily and use my Turbo as the weekend car . If I need more room I take the Cayenne (which BTW has two tone umber creme interior ).

I like both of your interior choices and I am not sure which I prefer . I do know that when a forum member posted his deviated stitching thread I, loved it !!! His choice was pebble gray on the black interior .https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-details.html

I also love the natural brown . Tough choices !!!
I think that the Boxster would be a better driver if it had PDK. I'm getting annoyed by the manual when driving in crowded traffic or in the city. Because of the lack of torque, you're shifting a lot. I like shifting when I'm driving insipred, but in traffic I prefer a PDK. No more old fashioned manual for me... That's for sure But for a weekend car it's great and I will keep the car for a couple of years I think. (Unless Alfa Romeo decides to introduce a 4C Targa very soon )

I love deviated stitching, but I also like the interior to be a bit more luxurious. I like the Black / Carrera Red combination of the Turbo S, but since a lot of cars will be equipped with it, it becomes a little too common for my taste. I like to have something different. It's a tough choice indeed, but I'm not really in a hurry, although i also don't want to wait too long of course

Suzy991

Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Mig7410 will become famous soon enough
Nice right up Suzy. How did the AWD feel, did you notice any front end push in the corners?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mig7410
Nice right up Suzy. How did the AWD feel, did you notice any front end push in the corners?
The AWD is phenomenal, just like it is in the C4S. There no sign of understeer at all. Maybe if you drive on a track at its limit, but I couldn't do that of course, since I was on the public road. but in general the systems in C4S and Turbo are more tweaked to oversteer than understeer (With the nannies switched off). The Turbo feels like it has more traction and grip in corners. Probably due to the 4ws I guess.

When turning into a hairpin, going up a mountainroad, at a speed where you think you are way too fast, the car just turns in without any drama. Like it is on rails and even going downhill there was no sign of understeer in such corners. And I was driving at least in half damp conditions, but also half an hour in soaking wet conditions. Again... Like on rails. Also credits to the tyres BTW. Those were magnificent in the wet.
The "nannies" do their work without you noticing it. Absolutely perfect. You don't get interupted or anything, like my former S5 did when the nannies kicked in.

In general it is out of this world how nimble and planted the car is and how much traction and grip it has. No matter if it is dry or wet, it's just unbelievable. It felt like it could turn circles around my Boxster and still be faster round a track.

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 10-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
What tires were on the car you drove? That makes a huge difference, as the base Pirelli's are a joke.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by flyanddive
What tires were on the car you drove? That makes a huge difference, as the base Pirelli's are a joke.
It was on Pirelli P Zero. They are absolutely perfect! Seriously! There is no other tyre homologated for the Turbo and Turbo S if my information is correct.
They were much better then the michelins on my Boxtser.

Suzy991

Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
It was on Pirelli P Zero. They are absolutely perfect! Seriously! There is no other tyre homologated for the Turbo and Turbo S if my information is correct.
They were much better then the michelins on my Boxtser.

Suzy991
Pilot Super Sports on that Boxster? That must be the car then, because I switched out the P-zero's on my 991 and the difference was night and day. My 2S grips considerably better; Like a 4S now. I have some Pilot sport cups too, which are even better, but not for DD. I've had nothing but issues with the P-zero's, and they are also very noisy.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Pilot Super Sports on that Boxster? That must be the car then, because I switched out the P-zero's on my 991 and the difference was night and day. My 2S grips considerably better; Like a 4S now. I have some Pilot sport cups too, which are even better, but not for DD. I've had nothing but issues with the P-zero's, and they are also very noisy.
The Michelins are good on dry, but not when it rains and the cooler it gets, the worst the tyres are. When I drove that Turbo S it was about 12-13C and I immediately felt the difference when I stepped back into my Boxster.
BTW: The C4S I drove was also on the PZero tyres and was equally as good...

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 10-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM
I'd still go for the GT3 if I were you. The negatives you state are very small, a swap of the tires will make it all season. There is still the small issue of ground clearance, but with the lifting system it's a small issue. I have one on order and I'm about to look at the Turbo, but I'm pretty sure it won't do it for me. After you have owned a 991 for a while you will want to switch to a more "raw" feeling car, that even the Turbo just doesn't provide. Speed is not the main factor in this car, the driving experience is.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
I'd still go for the GT3 if I were you. The negatives you state are very small, a swap of the tires will make it all season. There is still the small issue of ground clearance, but with the lifting system it's a small issue. I have one on order and I'm about to look at the Turbo, but I'm pretty sure it won't do it for me. After you have owned a 991 for a while you will want to switch to a more "raw" feeling car, that even the Turbo just doesn't provide. Speed is not the main factor in this car, the driving experience is.
GT3 is not what I'm looking for. It's a fantastic car, but not usable for me. Like I said in my review. I have requirements and the GT3 only manages to meet 1 or maybe 2 of my requirements. Besides that it's too flashy for my taste and I wouldn't be able to take it to a customer. It's just not accepted to drive something flashy like that.
Also... I definetly want the backseats. The GT3 has the same engine character than the carrera 4S, which lacks torque at low revs. That is what makes the turbo S such a great daily driver. At low speeds and in the city with the car in normal mode, it's as easy to drive as a VW Golf.

If I would go to tracks more often, I may have considered it, but since that will not happen very often it's pointless to buy a GT3. That said.... if I wanted a real trackcar I would probably buy something else than a GT3.
For those rare occasions that I visit a track, the Turbo S will be good enough. I'm not willing to compromise on comfort and driveabillity all year long.

For example... To get to my house I need to drive up a pretty steep little road (18% climb for about 150meters). In wintertime with snow, I don't see myself driving up and down there there with a GT3, where a guy here in the street has no problems with his 997 C4S on snowtyres.

GT3 is a fantastic car and probably the best 911 ever, but it just has a different purpose than what I'm looking for. As a second or third car I would definitely want one, but that's for when I grow up haha

Suzy991

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove the 991 Turbo S and here's my review