Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
If I'm playing your money... 'S'.

I hate regretting car purchases. If you get the best options available, there will be less second-guessing (at least for me).
I happen to agree . The Turbo S has everything the base Turbo lacks and the price gap is insignificant given the price levels of both cars.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
singlespeed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I happen to agree . The Turbo S has everything the base Turbo lacks and the price gap is insignificant given the price levels of both cars.
I agree. If you're already spending that amount of money, and another 20-30k gets you the ultimate 991, why not just go all the way? I went through the same thought process and decided on a TTS.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 AM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Definitely the S or you will always think - "if only……."

Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jeff C
Went with non s coupe, didn't want center locks and PCCB. Sticker was 158K. They all drop like a stone depreciation wise first year or so. Not sure I could detect a difference in the HP from the S.
This is what I did. I'm going to track it enough to make the center locks and PCCBs a hassle, so why pay for it? Mine is optioned to 169k, a very sizeable delta from the S, am getting SC/LED/PDCCs. Sure I may regret for a few seconds here and there that I don't have that extra 40hp, but I can live w/ that.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by AJag
This is what I did. I'm going to track it enough to make the center locks and PCCBs a hassle, so why pay for it? Mine is optioned to 169k, a very sizeable delta from the S, am getting SC/LED/PDCCs. Sure I may regret for a few seconds here and there that I don't have that extra 40hp, but I can live w/ that.

This is my order as well, and it is a long way away from what I would be into the TTS for. Porsches are not my dream Car. This is my ninth one.

If they do a body re-model on the nissan Gt-r, I might give it a whirl.

Bottom line: Just buy what you want and listen to no-one else

Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegee

If they do a body re-model on the nissan Gt-r, I might give it a whirl.
The new iteration of the NISMO GT-R might be right up your alley. Thing is a monster, only bested by the 918 Spyder (with track options) in terms of performance.

Regarding the body re-model, there won't be much of a deviation until the R36 comes out (in a few years), and it is looking like a hybrid (co-engineering by Williams).

Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
OP, if you are even thinking of the S, this is what you should buy. Every time I've taken the cheaper road on a car, it has ended up costing me more because I've changed it over sooner because of lingering dissatisfaction with my original choice.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
This is one of many portions of your post that I find hard to comprehend .
If you want one car (turbo Cab) but order another (base Turbo coupe) while still being unsure of a third (the S coupe) its sounds like you are very uncertain . It's my opinion that an expensive car purchase ought to have no doubts . I feel its better to buy no car at all than to buy the wrong car .

Well said.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 PM
carcommander will become famous soon enough
I bought a turbo. I am not spending 25k for something I don't want. I did get the center locks because the way the look. I will spend the 25K on something else. Watch, great vacation etc.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
The new iteration of the NISMO GT-R might be right up your alley. Thing is a monster, only bested by the 918 Spyder (with track options) in terms of performance.

Regarding the body re-model, there won't be much of a deviation until the R36 comes out (in a few years), and it is looking like a hybrid (co-engineering by Williams).
That NISMO car is just something else. It did 7:08 second around Nurburgring, which is just a crazy lap time. Would be interesting to see how big the difference is between the lap times of the 991 Turbo base versus the S. I couldn't find those numbers.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Kamran
That NISMO car is just something else. It did 7:08 second around Nurburgring, which is just a crazy lap time. Would be interesting to see how big the difference is between the lap times of the 991 Turbo base versus the S. I couldn't find those numbers.

Cost of Nismo is the same as turbo price. From what I gather from the literature mag-test drivers find no difference in 0-60 between S and turbo. Think the +$25-30K may give an improved exhaust but all reported HP above regular turbo is just from flash update.
And $10k of that +$25-30K is due to ceramic brakes. Not sure there is any improved 60-0 stop performance there either over steel, but I guess ceramics hold up with less fade if you do a lot of track.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 AM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by johnww

Cost of Nismo is the same as turbo price. From what I gather from the literature mag-test drivers find no difference in 0-60 between S and turbo. Think the +$25-30K may give an improved exhaust but all reported HP above regular turbo is just from flash update.
And $10k of that +$25-30K is due to ceramic brakes. Not sure there is any improved 60-0 stop performance there either over steel, but I guess ceramics hold up with less fade if you do a lot of track.
Which literature is that?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:44 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
Haven't seen any comparisons between the two, only
Speculation

Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by TTS
Which literature is that?
On the 0-60, Even porsche stats gives 2.9 sec (turbo S) and 3.0 non-S turbo with chromo pak at 3.0 sec. Car-Magazine test drivers say cars seem same in 0-60, so I guess even most experienced drivers can't detect 0.1 sec. On the steel vs ceramics 60-0 being the same, but ceramic somewhat better in retaining that stopping power excessive use on track has been published in GT Porsche, and Total 911. I called Hennessey in Atlanta and they said same. Some claim earlier on 6-speed forum that ceramics can a bit unreliable when cold in mornings and unpredictable at times on excessively wet pavement. Never get the ceramics so can't verify these neg findings.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 AM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S