Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Badknees is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TTS
Nice read

Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Overdraft is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mhh
OP, if you are even thinking of the S, this is what you should buy. Every time I've taken the cheaper road on a car, it has ended up costing me more because I've changed it over sooner because of lingering dissatisfaction with my original choice.

+1...every time...

Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTS

Thanks for this! Great info and this vid is cool:

Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Badknees is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mhh
OP, if you are even thinking of the S, this is what you should buy. Every time I've taken the cheaper road on a car, it has ended up costing me more because I've changed it over sooner because of lingering dissatisfaction with my original choice.
Been there, done that.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 PM
apias is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I happen to agree . The Turbo S has everything the base Turbo lacks and the price gap is insignificant given the price levels of both cars.
If you spec the Turbo as closely as possible to match the base Turbo S (which actually requires adding 1 $600 option to the Turbo S to bring it back to parity with the Turbo due to a slight mismatch in what certain options and features include in each model), the price difference is $8,425.00 (5%) for the additional 40 hp and 29 lb-ft of torque.

For comparison, the Carrera S Powerkit, after you subtract out the price of Sport Exhaust and Sport Chrono, is $13,000.00 for 30 hp. That does include physical differences in the engine, whereas in the Turbo S it's a software only change, but still more than twice the cost per unit of the hp difference of the Turbo S over the Turbo.

Last edited by apias; 12-10-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 AM
ACRman is on a distinguished road
defo TTS

Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
Looked at that way, that is good value for 40hp!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 AM
apias is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zedosix
Looked at that way, that is good value for 40hp!
It's interesting to contrast it with the Panamera Turbo/Turbo S, where, once they are configured similarly (mostly "Performance" options, but to get them the same, you'd need to add the Premium Package to both, otherwise, the Turbo will be minus Power Steering Plus (standard on Turbo S), which some might prefer not to have) there is still a difference in price of ~$20,000.00 for 50 hp and 37 lb-ft of torque. In that case, the premium for the extra hp is in the ballpark of the Carerra S Powerkit cost.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 AM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
Very interesting comments and perspectives

I would agree that overall the Turbo S is a better value.

However, I ended up sticking with a Turbo. My rationale:

1) I was more interested in some options that are not standard even on the Turbo S so adding those who have the price shoot go up even more. I wanted the adaptive cruise control, illuminated door sills, painted gauges, glass roof, entry and drive, etc. I've seen the adaptive cruise control in every Porsche marketing picture and it looks nice. I had it on my CTT and PTT also and really liked it. It even intervenes if it detects a collision is about to happen even in stop-and-go traffic.

2) a fully loaded Turbo S the price would have been in the neighborhood of a used 458 and I know I would have some sort of remorse knowing that. I've had a California and hope to buy another Ferrari at some point it in the future so I'll have to settle for just a Turbo for now

3) whenever i day dream of a new car I plan to own it for 5 years. However, my track record is that I replace it in a about a year if I get a good sale price on my car and/or good purchase price on the next car. Since Turbo is currently more in demand and/or less quota (that's what I experienced in the ordering process - the dealers were trying to divert me to Turbo S and promise a quicker delivery or one of the stock order cars), I would expect the prices to hold on better than the Turbo S in the short term (up to 1 year) in case I want to replace it with something else

Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 AM
carcommander will become famous soon enough
I ordered a turbo because it was the car I wanted. Other than bragging rights the Turbo S had a bunch of stuff on it that didn't matter to me. Why pay for stuff I don't want. It you can feel one tenth of a second 0 to 60 you are alot more sensative than I am. I can always have it programmed if I want some more horse power or drive one of my other cars.

I ordered it in May. It was delivered to me today.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (27) (640x480).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	311298  

Last edited by carcommander; 12-13-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carcommander
I ordered a turbo because it was the car I wanted. Other than bragging rights the Turbo S had a bunch of stuff on it that didn't matter to me. Why pay for stuff I don't want. It you can feel one tenth of a second 0 to 60 you are alot more sensative than I am. I can always have it programmed if I want some more horse power or drive one of my other cars.

I ordered it in May. It was delivered to me today.
Congrats!

I think that's the first pic I've seen of those rims on a turbo with red calipers. Looks really nice. All other pics I've seen are with yellow PCCB calipers.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:00 PM
The turbo S wheels are an option on the turbo. I like the look and the were only 3500. A bargain I think.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
The turbo S wheels are an option on the turbo. I like the look and the were only 3500. A bargain I think.
Congrats! So what are your early thoughts?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by AJag
Congrats! So what are your early thoughts?
I have only driven it 15 miles. Not much thought yet. PDK is smoother than my 12 C2S.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I have only driven it 15 miles. Not much thought yet. PDK is smoother than my 12 C2S.
You have the flu or something???

GO DRIVE!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S