Anyone else think the price bump over 997 is crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM
335_II is on a distinguished road
Anyone else think the price bump over 997 is crazy?

$190k starting price on the Turbo S cab is insane to me. I had three 996 Turbos and 3 997's all ordered by me. I really enjoy putting the car together how I want it and building the new 991 on Porsches website the car is going to be over $220k. For that kind of money I may just jump into a used 458.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by 335_II
$190k starting price on the Turbo S cab is insane to me. I had three 996 Turbos and 3 997's all ordered by me. I really enjoy putting the car together how I want it and building the new 991 on Porsches website the car is going to be over $220k. For that kind of money I may just jump into a used 458.
Looking back at my then new 2007 turbo, at $120K, now same car at $150K or +$5k per yr. But now for this +$30K, you get knee airbags, nasty pdk, 20" tires, a 3.8 instead of 3.6 engine with 40 more HP and some suspension gismos. You still got to get Sport Chrono (now $4K)and have a $3.8K price to pay for improved LED headlights. All in all, if porsche would offer a manual rather than pdk, the $145K probably is not a bad price for the base car which most likely has other features I've failed to recognize.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
I always thought the turbo was underpriced. With the company it keeps, 200K seems about right. Jaguar raised its prices in the 80's to try increasing its cache, which worked. Maybe that's Porsches plan today.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
The Turbo is always the poorest value (and highest profit margin) in any given 911 series, because it shares 90% of it's architecture with the base carrera, which is obviously a fraction of the price.
That said, a 458 is only comparable in cost -- maybe -- if you plan on looking at it more than driving it. 991TT's durability (and warranty) cannot be compared to a used Ferrari.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
They will sell every one of them they build. Almost all of them for over $200k. I don't get it, but they don't care about people like me who only buy used.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 PM
ACRman is on a distinguished road
I paid 188K $ for mine (MSRP 197 K $) and it has everything i need plus some nice options too .

I find it weird that everyone finds the TTS over priced and find it perfectly normal to find 150 K C4Ss with too much options !!! i find it fantastic value compared to other P 991 models and certainly compared to other similar performance cars !

I bought my Viper ACR for 106k$ back in 09 , nowadays nicely specced vipers are in the 140-150k range !!!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 PM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GFORCED
I always thought the turbo was underpriced. With the company it keeps, 200K seems about right. Jaguar raised its prices in the 80's to try increasing its cache, which worked. Maybe that's Porsches plan today.
Porsche knows the breaking point of their customers and most guys who in the past have bought Porsches' will continue to buy Porsches'. Especially with the likes of Ferrari & Lamborghini (its only real competition) is charging 150k over and above.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deckman
They will sell every one of them they build. Almost all of them for over $200k. I don't get it, but they don't care about people like me who only buy used.
No disrespect intended.......but from the company's POV why should they!!!!?????
You're not adding to their bottom line.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 AM
ibtm is on a distinguished road
elasticity

Pricing is like undressing a beautiful girl---you have to carefully examine all the attributes, then slowly start taking off each piece of clothing---pausing as you get each piece to the floor----OK for political correctness--all you girls out there just substitute man for girl! You take a little at a time.
My bet is the elasticity curve on the Porsche has some room to grow based on competition. Porsche is constantly taking the temperature on pricing and will take it when they can---capitalism works!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I didn't say they should care. They shouldn't.