Owners Review -- 991 Turbo (NON-S)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 AM
JonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura about
Owners Review -- 991 Turbo (NON-S)

Hi all

Don't mean to be discriminatory here against TTS owners but all the reviews I am able to dig up are on the TTS and not on the TT.

While I await delivery, I would be very interested to hear from 991TT owners who have had their cars delivered already on their overall thoughts on their new beast -- perhaps also in comparison to their previous/other sports car(s).

How is the drive, control, smoothness/roughness of the PDK, feel, power delivery, exhaust note, overall experience -- is it mind-blowing?

Tks!

JB

Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Subscribed! ....and agreed, almost everything worth reading or viewing online has been focused on the TTS

Porsche has done a super job of marketing the heck out of their HUGE profit generator.... the TTS!!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
I'm curious as to when the mags are going to test these cars and if they will even bother with the TT. I bet 100 to 1 they will test the big gun first.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Well Here is mine. I absolutely love it. The PDK is the smoothest thing I have seen I had another pdk Porsche, and a AMG 63 Merc with "paddle shifting". It is intuitive, quick, and in the manual mode will shift faster than you can toggle the paddle and be ready for the next shift.

It is very smooth on curves, and the power, well, it is plenty.

I have owned 10 Porsches, and with the exception of the Boxster spider and my GT3, it handles the best.

the exhaust note still sucks, but is better, with the cursory waste gate gurgle loud enough for others to actually hear.

Steering is, as I said very crisp. the harder I drive it, the more solid it feels.

My Merc had 560 HP, but it was a big till 120MPH. the Turbo acts like it is always waiting for that little push to leap.

the braking is great, and I like my 20inch classic wheels. No center locks for me. I don't do high speed track much any more., and changing one is awful.

I have a coupe, because I like them better. Having said that, the full glass top is cool looking.

Having driven Porsches for a long time, I can tell you that this is a peach of a performance car, and is can be driven leisurely for only short periods.

I have only the Bose with new JL speakers I added, and I use my phone to stream and the jukebox works fine, and I really do not listen to anything but the car.
Enjoy

mike

Originally Posted by JonnybravoM3
Hi all

Don't mean to be discriminatory here against TTS owners but all the reviews I am able to dig up are on the TTS and not on the TT.

While I await delivery, I would be very interested to hear from 991TT owners who have had their cars delivered already on their overall thoughts on their new beast -- perhaps also in comparison to their previous/other sports car(s).

How is the drive, control, smoothness/roughness of the PDK, feel, power delivery, exhaust note, overall experience -- is it mind-blowing?

Tks!

JB

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 AM
JonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura about
Great write-ups guys thanks!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
For what it's worth, the porsche salesman during my tts test drive said he could feel no noticeable difference when driving the base tt.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
I have to think the street is more about bling with the TTS over the TT.

Porsche has served up an enticing jug of it's best tasting TTS cool-aid via their Turbo marketing, enticing folks to NEED the biggest baddest of the lot to objectively demonstrate deep pockets using only subjective measures.

Any objective measuring to show real differences between a TTS and a TT "on the street" would probably land you in jail!

All this on a car that rarely ever sees a track!! But then, who needs 520HP let alone 560hp....on the street....

Me?!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM
ibtm is on a distinguished road
Never about need------

It is about want!!!! ;-)

Do I need an outboard with 3 350 Yamaha's---no---but I wanted one!!!
So I bought Pitt Bulls!!! ;-)

Did I need an airplane with it's own parachute---no but I wanted one--
so I bought it!!!!

The essence of life is Happiness!!!!! Live it Everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by ibtm
It is about want!!!! ;-)

Do I need an outboard with 3 350 Yamaha's---no---but I wanted one!!!
So I bought Pitt Bulls!!! ;-)

Did I need an airplane with it's own parachute---no but I wanted one--
so I bought it!!!!

The essence of life is Happiness!!!!! Live it Everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Living subjectively vs objectively .... so true and well done!!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM
carcommander will become famous soon enough
I have a TT and I ordered it with the center locks. The average person can't tell the difference between 911's so I am not sure about the bling factor. I owned an 07 turbo, O8 turbo and a 991C2S. The new turbo is my favorite. Faster, smoother PDK, comfortable and it handles great. If you want an S get one but I can't feel 40hp and .1 second 0-60 difference. I can feel the 25K. YMMV. A flash brings both cars to the same level. It's really just bragging rights.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by carcommander
I have a TT and I ordered it with the center locks. The average person can't tell the difference between 911's so I am not sure about the bling factor. I owned an 07 turbo, O8 turbo and a 991C2S. The new turbo is my favorite. Faster, smoother PDK, comfortable and it handles great. If you want an S get one but I can't feel 40hp and .1 second 0-60 difference. I can feel the 25K. YMMV. A flash brings both cars to the same level. It's really just bragging rights.
+1
In Canada the difference is over $30k between the two.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Fixinbones will become famous soon enoughFixinbones will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I have to think the street is more about bling with the TTS over the TT.

Porsche has served up an enticing jug of it's best tasting TTS cool-aid via their Turbo marketing, enticing folks to NEED the biggest baddest of the lot to objectively demonstrate deep pockets using only subjective measures.

Any objective measuring to show real differences between a TTS and a TT "on the street" would probably land you in jail!

All this on a car that rarely ever sees a track!! But then, who needs 520HP let alone 560hp....on the street....

Me?!
I agree. Same issue with my CL63 vs the CL65. The 65 is identical except for the tail pipes and V12 badges, costs 50k more, and is even slower than the 63 from 0-60.
I'm not knocking those who have the money and spend it for the TTS but for those of us with a budget, if you can call 170k a budget, the TT is just swell.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fixinbones
I agree. Same issue with my CL63 vs the CL65. The 65 is identical except for the tail pipes and V12 badges, costs 50k more, and is even slower than the 63 from 0-60.
I'm not knocking those who have the money and spend it for the TTS but for those of us with a budget, if you can call 170k a budget, the TT is just swell.

I agree with your sentiment 100%...but just wanted to add that there was definitely a HUGE difference between the 63's and 65's. I owned an SL65 and compared to a friend that had an SL63, and while you're right that 0-60 there was almost a negligible difference, once you passed the moment of inertia, and were driving, the throw your a## in your seat pull with 738lbs of torque was unreal! Awww, I miss that car But It seems like to me, you wouldn't feel that difference between the TTS or TT so save yourself the money!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 PM
carcam will become famous soon enough
My biggest concern is Resale value. The turbo I want is $174k since I want pccb's and pdcc. The turbo S is $188k. I don't really care about the 40 hp difference. However, in 2 years when I trade in my turbo, the value will be determined on the $148 base price because options mean nothing (or very little) on trade in. I think the S will hold it's resale value better than a highly optioned base turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners Review -- 991 Turbo (NON-S)