Do I need a tune if I install a exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:43 PM
bennakhi will become famous soon enough
Do I need a tune if I install a exhaust ?

Hi,

I have 2015 Turbo. There is a local shop in Kuwait called Bullet Performance makes high quality exhausts. Check out there instagram account Here. He offered me a custom exhaust for my 991 Turbo. Do I need to tune the car if I installed the exhaust ?
I am worry about the check engine light, I don't want to go off.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
"Need" is subjective, just kidding. No you will not need a tune if you get an exhaust. I have been running my europipe for 3xxx miles without any cel problems.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
If you're looking to gain power from one, yes. Stock software will adapt any power gained from the hardware upgrade over a short period of time. It will show a gain immediately after installing it, though.

If you're just installing it for sound, it shouldn't bother you.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yea if you hope to get bigger gains, a tune would definitely help, but not necessary. If you got new headers, you'd probably definitely need a tune to not get a check engine light. We carry a few tunes including for the 991, you should check it out! Getting a tune and just changing your exhaust won't hurt your engine at all, and you'll get quite a nice gain, especially with the exhaust.

Vivid 991 tunes

And yes we ship internationally!

-RyanG

Old 04-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
If you're looking to gain power from one, yes. Stock software will adapt any power gained from the hardware upgrade over a short period of time. It will show a gain immediately after installing it, though.

If you're just installing it for sound, it shouldn't bother you.
+1. We have had several very happy clients who run the GIAC Stage 2 (many more on 6speed) and the best part is that it's an actual ECU tune. No piggy/back and you can switch back to stock in seconds with the handheld unit.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
+1. We have had several very happy clients who run the GIAC Stage 2 (many more on 6speed) and the best part is that it's an actual ECU tune. No piggy/back and you can switch back to stock in seconds with the handheld unit.
+2

With my GIAC flashloader I can switch from a pump gas tune to a race gas tune or back to a stock tune by simply plugging he flashloader into the OBD2 port and pressing a button.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
Is there an authorised dealer for GIAC in the UAE? I recall there being one in Abu Dhabi but I couldn't find any details on the GIAC website.

Also, would it be possible for the dealer here in the UAE to flash my ECU via OBD2 without needing to remove the ECU. I am reluctant to have my ECU removed.

Appreciate if someone from the GIAC team could shed some light on this.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
If you got new headers, you'd probably definitely need a tune to not get a check engine light.

-RyanG
With all due respect...I'm not sure that's true. I think what you meant is that if you installed an exhaust without cats, then yes, a tune would be necessary to insure no check engine light. But changing headers would not cause a CEL.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned
RS211 is just really niceRS211 is just really niceRS211 is just really niceRS211 is just really nice
Can you explain how the stock tune will correct for a freer flowing exhaust since all sensors are before the turbo exhaust...A/F will stay the same as long as the O2 are working properly..

Please show me a dyno sheet showing the stock power vs free flowing exhaust power vs ecu learning corrections power results a month later...
The stock tune will not add restriction and increase exhaust back pressure to stock settings...

You will see a gain in turbo response since exhaust manifold back pressure is reduced, there is no need to tune for exhaust alone...
This is not an N/A engine... If someone tells you you need a tune for a freer post cat turbo exhaust they are just trying to sell you something..

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:25 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RS211
Can you explain how the stock tune will correct for a freer flowing exhaust since all sensors are before the turbo exhaust...A/F will stay the same as long as the O2 are working properly..

Please show me a dyno sheet showing the stock power vs free flowing exhaust power vs ecu learning corrections power results a month later...
The stock tune will not add restriction and increase exhaust back pressure to stock settings...

You will see a gain in turbo response since exhaust manifold back pressure is reduced, there is no need to tune for exhaust alone...
This is not an N/A engine... If someone tells you you need a tune for a freer post cat turbo exhaust they are just trying to sell you something..

Good points, I'm curious to know the answer as well...

Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !

The DMEs can calculate a myriad of "power" outputs and have calculated torque targets set in place by the DME. Let's say for instance a stock Turbo S outputs a maximum torque value of 650nm on a data log. Then by installing a free flowing exhaust system reported torque rises to 675nm The DME will correct out timing, or even close the throttle in an effort to return to the specified 650nm. In my experiences, I have not seen any variations in AFR, unless the modification causes the vehicle to go into a fuel dump sort of limp mode.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Banned
RS211 is just really niceRS211 is just really niceRS211 is just really niceRS211 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
The DMEs can calculate a myriad of "power" outputs and have calculated torque targets set in place by the DME. Let's say for instance a stock Turbo S outputs a maximum torque value of 650nm on a data log. Then by installing a free flowing exhaust system reported torque rises to 675nm The DME will correct out timing, or even close the throttle in an effort to return to the specified 650nm. In my experiences, I have not seen any variations in AFR, unless the modification causes the vehicle to go into a fuel dump sort of limp mode.
I'd like to see a dyno sheet showing these changes in torque during multiple pulls and sustained loads to show these corrections with a freer exhaust only modification..
What percentage is the throttle closing with a say 10 psi decrease in exhaust manifold back pressure to keep the engine in it's targeted torque range ?

My exhaust.. https://www.facebook.com/10000095086...4/?pnref=story

Last edited by RS211; 04-30-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Banned
The thing I've learned about my Turbo S so far is that I can't even use all the stock power the car has in the twisties as it is.. Exhaust is just for noise and a few ponies but I may even remove it and go back to bone stock exhaust....
I'm kinda liking the sleeper idea rather than yelling out "yo officer I'm over here" all the time.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Banned
Austin@GIAC I'd like to see a dyno sheet showing these changes in torque during multiple pulls and sustained loads to show these corrections with a freer exhaust only modification..
What percentage is the throttle closing with a say 10 psi decrease in exhaust manifold back pressure to keep the engine in it's targeted torque range ?

My exhaust.. https://www.facebook.com/10000095086...4/?pnref=story
Crickets

Old 05-02-2015, 10:48 AM
imahobo will become famous soon enough
RS211- Yet another post hijacked. We get it. You don't like mods. You have no product knowledge but continue to argue your misinformed points with industry experts who don't have an obligation to respond to you. Now leave us alone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need a tune if I install a exhaust ?