Cobb vs GIAC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:59 PM
TFSweet will become famous soon enoughTFSweet will become famous soon enough
Cobb vs GIAC

Hey everyone,

Could someone please clarify why someone would choose Cobb over GIAC or vice versa? I tried to research the topic by referencing some other threads on 6speed but was curious to know if someone could specifically relate the differences between the two in relation to the 991 turbo.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 PM
kodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to behold
Although GIAC was the first to release an obd flash, they require that either a giac dealer or giac themselves reflash the ecu whereas COBB will enable the user to flash, reflash, update, remove etc any and all flashes. COBB will also allow the user to have any tuner they desire create a totally custom tune based on their individual build, elevation, available fuels etc and then retune based on collected log data. Im sure many giac fans will chime in, but having used cobb in the past on my gtr, it would absolutely be a no brainer for me. I waited a year for this exact release!!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 PM
TFSweet will become famous soon enoughTFSweet will become famous soon enough
Thanks kodiakz for your input!!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:06 PM
zerix is just really nicezerix is just really nicezerix is just really nicezerix is just really nice
does the cobb have O2 CEL supression say from a catless exhaust?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor
Staff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to beholdStaff@WORLD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zerix
does the cobb have O2 CEL supression say from a catless exhaust?
So far we have not had an issue with the CEL on a hatless system with the Cobb tune. It does not shut off the rear o2 but it definitely has had no problem preventing the CEL. And this is with the standard Stage 2 tune that the Cobb unit comes preloaded with.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
If I can help anyone decide which will work best for them feel free to send me a PM. I have had experience and great results with both options.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 AM
pasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed Cobb Stage 2, install was under 10 min. Very easy to install did not require mechanic. I live in NY, no tech skills at all, and was able to to work with Sam at Bydesign, in Cali. He walked me through the install over the phone. I have a Kline exhaust and no check engine lights. Cobb provides several map choices to install and stores cars original map. The Access Port includes maps for stage 1 and 2, all fuel choices and stock choice. User also has the option to uninstall and reinstall. The power feels insane changes changes the entire deminor of car and is immediate, much better then stock. IMO Klien exhaust with Cobb is a great set-up.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 AM
gsc
gsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant future
Are there any dyno charts that show the improvements?

Anyone in NY/ NJ that has this done, let me know.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 AM
MurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to beholdMurderedTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Cobb vs GIAC

Originally Posted by kodiakz
Although GIAC was the first to release an obd flash, they require that either a giac dealer or giac themselves reflash the ecu whereas COBB will enable the user to flash, reflash, update, remove etc any and all flashes. COBB will also allow the user to have any tuner they desire create a totally custom tune based on their individual build, elevation, available fuels etc and then retune based on collected log data. Im sure many giac fans will chime in, but having used cobb in the past on my gtr, it would absolutely be a no brainer for me. I waited a year for this exact release!!
Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !

Here is a car with exhaust and the Accessport versus stock.

Both are great products, and both are different in certain ways.

If you have questions please feel free to shoot me an email!

Mitch.Mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM
zerix is just really nicezerix is just really nicezerix is just really nicezerix is just really nice
652 to the wheels? any troubles with the PDK handling that level of torque?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Not that we have seen. I will say our dyno reads a little high so on lower reading mustangs its around 610 ft lbs.

We have tested this calibration to great extremes including racing and winning the Pikes Peak Hillclimb (in our class) on this exact calibration with a few small changes. We beat the crap out of the car in testing, practice and race day never had any issues.

Thanks,

Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Age old battle that to be honest this is always a hard one to argue as the products simply fit different needs for end users.

We're a custom tuner shop and clearly prefer the Cobb platform as it allows us to customize and tailor tuning further from where off the shelf maps sit. Off the shelf maps regardless of tuner providing them tend to be set a bit conservatively for a given mod/octane configuration on the car. They also don't and can't possibly be optimized for every possibly modification, octane, octane quality, ambients, types of driving scenarios (road course, street, 1/2 mile, etc) and that is where our help can come in outside of being there to assist you through the upgrade path and help analyze your engine's overall health with its parts and tuning.

Regardless of what off the shelf tuning solution you go with you'll end up with a much more fun car after tuning and it'll be worth the investment. For those looking to flash and forget and have a great all around tune then off the shelf maps are a great way of getting more reliable power out of the car. For others that would like to have the convenience of flashing at home, interest in logging/monitoring/learning about the tune and what their motor/tune is doing, going back to factory programming without dealer involvement as well as having the possibility of customizing their tuning with a professional tuner then the AP is a great choice and, currently on the 991 platform, the only one with such features we believe.

PTF

Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I love the AP. coming from several other different makes of cars I have always used the Cobb AP. I have always gone straight through Cobb. Personally not sure it matters but I would go directly through Cobb as they are the ones doing all the research and development (Pikes Peak). I know they allow others to access the AP but I am just a little skeptical of there custom tuning ability. Many will sell the Cobb AP but why not just go straight to the source.

Speaking only from a non-technical and past experience standpoint of course. Right on Cobb and I will be a customer again soon.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
This seems like a thread that should be more for enthusiasts to share their actual experiences with 991 Turbo software, so I will try not to hijack it too much.

However, there are some bits of misinformation that I would like to address with regard to the scope of our software, how it is developed, and how aggressive it is. I've started a new thread here: GIAC Question and Answer Thread, so as not to derail this one with vendor information.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cobb vs GIAC