Atco october 7th giac vs. Cobb 991 turbo s shootout!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:48 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Atco october 7th giac vs. Cobb 991 turbo s shootout!!!!!!!

As many of you know we are having a private dragstrip rental at Atco Dragway in Atco, NJ on October 7th. There are still a few spots open for those interested. We would prefer tuned (especially Cobb or GIAC) 911 Turbos, especially 991 Turbos and Turbo S's. If you are interested in participating please PM me.

We want to keep the event limited to 20 cars so that participants can run all day. Fee is $200. Payment in advance via Paypal is required to run. As is a helmet as per NHRA rules. This is a non profit event in which we are splitting the cost of the track rental.

Also, we will be asking 991 Turbo and Turbo S participants who will be doing the Cobb vs GIAC races to open their front trunk so we can see if anyone is running water meth. That includes me. Water meth is allowed of course but we want everyone to know the actual mods of the cars running. I have heard rumors of tuners removing safety systems such as torque limiters for the event which would be a huge disservice to our members if not disclosed by the owner. Similarly, if someone is running nitrous or C16 which would ask that they disclose this as this would affect performance dramatically but these are not sustainable as they will damage the car.

We want the Porsche community to see the results of the races and know what kind of mods the cars actually have as the results may very well influence purchase decisions as to mods. We want to see some great runs between the Cobb and GIAC mod packages.

My car has no water meth and has all the safety systems and torque limiters in place. No nitrous either. Definitely no C16 either. I do intend to use MS109 race gas which anyone can get. I would highly recommend race gas for anyone participating in the GIAC/Cobb battles.

My car's performance mods are:

GIAC Stage 2+
Champion Intercoolers
Tubi catless race exhaust
IPD plenum
BMC filter
Champion race diverter valves

My tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Would love R compound tires for the event but don't really want to spend more than $2k for tires I would never use outside of an event.

My Y pipe is stock. I would have installed the IPD Y pipe but it does not fit the Champion intercoolers. And the Champion Y pipe is still in development and hence not on my car.

Getting exciting about the event and praying for good weather.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:50 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Hey buddy

I'm working that day but can try and switch my schedule. I have 991TT with Cobb and Europipe, no other mods. Any TT GIAC cars going with similar mods?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
Hey buddy

I'm working that day but can try and switch my schedule. I have 991TT with Cobb and Europipe, no other mods. Any TT GIAC cars going with similar mods?
I am not sure if any other GIAC cars are going besides mine. We definitely will have Cobb Stage 2/stock ICs with varying exhausts and at least one Cobb Stage 2/upgraded ICs going.

If you want to do it shoot me a PM

Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
The fear mongering is in full swing here... Based on other posts on here and Rennlist, I don't think you mean ill will but reading your post could be taken the wrong way. For sake of good order, I just want to clarify a few things that may be taken out of context.

If you want to race just a custom tuned, intercooled Cobb car to compare apples to apples then it could have stated that without certain implications such as:
c16 - most people with o2 sensors wouldn't run this unless they knowingly didn't care, such as the guy who also owns a 918 that he drag races. The only reason he even uses leaded fuel is to supplement fuel for the nitrous.

Nitrous - same as running leaded fuel. One guy, ever, ran it and clearly doesn't care about the potential dangers because he has a 1 mil $+ car he also drag races. Money doesn't seem to be an object here and he stated he would build the motor if something did happen. I'm willing to bet that you will never see another 991 run nitrous, ever. His ability to run a one off power-adder like no2 should have attested to the flexibility of Cobb but instead I think it did them a disservice as every other thread about their achievements seems to have an * like a hall of famer who used steroids.

No torque limits - misinformation that certainly wouldn't have come from your tuner as they modify/control the torque limits in the DME or they wouldn't be able to make the power they do. Cobb obviously does the same.

R compound tires - Most people that drag race would get these as its basically a handicap not having them. You will def not run to your potential without R compound tires and all that power. I'm sure your tuner would advocate you run them as well. Both longboarder and I dropped close to .5 second off our 60 ft by running R compounds. In fact we both run them regularly now for traction at all times, even on the street. I understand that isn't for everyone though. For the record, some R compounds could actually hurt performance if they are a road race tire because of the stiff sidewall. For instance, I ran Pirelli Corsas (r comp) and had a worse 60' than with the OEM Michelins.

At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect for both camps and look forward to how each combination of setups performs at the track. No one should be marginalized for their achievements because ultimately drag racing is about "run what you brung and hope you brought enough." period

Old 09-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by ecpChris
The fear mongering is in full swing here... Based on other posts on here and Rennlist, I don't think you mean ill will but reading your post could be taken the wrong way. For sake of good order, I just want to clarify a few things that may be taken out of context.

If you want to race just a custom tuned, intercooled Cobb car to compare apples to apples then it could have stated that without certain implications such as:
c16 - most people with o2 sensors wouldn't run this unless they knowingly didn't care, such as the guy who also owns a 918 that he drag races. The only reason he even uses leaded fuel is to supplement fuel for the nitrous.

Nitrous - same as running leaded fuel. One guy, ever, ran it and clearly doesn't care about the potential dangers because he has a 1 mil $+ car he also drag races. Money doesn't seem to be an object here and he stated he would build the motor if something did happen. I'm willing to bet that you will never see another 991 run nitrous, ever. His ability to run a one off power-adder like no2 should have attested to the flexibility of Cobb but instead I think it did them a disservice as every other thread about their achievements seems to have an * like a hall of famer who used steroids.

No torque limits - misinformation that certainly wouldn't have come from your tuner as they modify/control the torque limits in the DME or they wouldn't be able to make the power they do. Cobb obviously does the same.

R compound tires - Most people that drag race would get these as its basically a handicap not having them. You will def not run to your potential without R compound tires and all that power. I'm sure your tuner would advocate you run them as well. Both longboarder and I dropped close to .5 second off our 60 ft by running R compounds. In fact we both run them regularly now for traction at all times, even on the street. I understand that isn't for everyone though. For the record, some R compounds could actually hurt performance if they are a road race tire because of the stiff sidewall. For instance, I ran Pirelli Corsas (r comp) and had a worse 60' than with the OEM Michelins.

At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect for both camps and look forward to how each combination of setups performs at the track. No one should be marginalized for their achievements because ultimately drag racing is about "run what you brung and hope you brought enough." period
I don't have ill will towards anybody. Just want everyone to know what everyone else is running for transparency. For example my E63 got creamed at Race Warz by an Amazing M5 running water meth and every other bolt on mod. Which is totally cool and expected because the owner is a terrific guy and enthusiast who is transparent about what he runs.

A good set of R compound tires would be great. Just a big expense and makes driving my car in the rain a dicey experience. Which r compound tires did you use that helped performance?

People can bring whatever they like in terms of mods. We just expect them to be open about it. Would love to see some super low times in the fall air and there are fewer better drag trips from low times than Atco.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:43 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sdg1871
I don't have ill will towards anybody. Just want everyone to know what everyone else is running for transparency. For example my E63 got creamed at Race Warz by an Amazing M5 running water meth and every other bolt on mod. Which is totally cool and expected because the owner is a terrific guy and enthusiast who is transparent about what he runs.

A good set of R compound tires would be great. Just a big expense and makes driving my car in the rain a dicey experience. Which r compound tires did you use that helped performance?

People can bring whatever they like in terms of mods. We just expect them to be open about it. Would love to see some super low times in the fall air and there are fewer better drag trips from low times than Atco.
I know you don't but some people can misinterpret some things. I do agree transparency is best (which you certainly show all the time).
A true testament to how the cars perform with the different setups would obviously be the traps but also how they run consistently if hot lapped. I'm really interested in seeing that

Old 09-30-2015, 09:58 AM
I know you don't but some people can misinterpret some things. I do agree transparency is best (which you certainly show all the time).
A true testament to how the cars perform with the different setups would obviously be the traps but also how they run consistently if hot lapped. I'm really interested in seeing that
I will probably run at least 5-8 times in a row to see if I can trigger heat soak and if so how much. Then I will spray some ice water on my ICs to try for the fastest times again .

Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by sdg1871
I will probably run at least 5-8 times in a row to see if I can trigger heat soak and if so how much. Then I will spray some ice water on my ICs to try for the fastest times again .
Well that certainly is a good way to test it. The good thing is that even though you have regular tires, hot lapping will improve your times if the car doesn't heat soak. My fastest times in any car have always been either hotlapping or getting to the line within a few minutes of driving from my house ( any track is an hour or more away so the tires always have a good amount of heat in them at that point).
The ice water thing is a cool trick that I've yet to do, but a good idea. I just put ice on the y-pipe and air box in between runs. That helps as well

Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Well that certainly is a good way to test it. The good thing is that even though you have regular tires, hot lapping will improve your times if the car doesn't heat soak. My fastest times in any car have always been either hotlapping or getting to the line within a few minutes of driving from my house ( any track is an hour or more away so the tires always have a good amount of heat in them at that point).
The ice water thing is a cool trick that I've yet to do, but a good idea. I just put ice on the y-pipe and air box in between runs. That helps as well
This should work. But before I use it I want to see if there is heat soak and if so how much.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo911.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	932.2 KB
ID:	429420  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Let's not forget that GIAC and Cobb aren't the only two options out there. You should open it up to folks who have other 991 Turbo tuning options as well. FVD, Fabspeed, EVOMS, etc.....the more the merrier, right?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
I will be there with my tts and Novitec tunes qp twin turbo 😀

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Be sure to get as much info as possible about the setups that are going head to head, interested to see the results

Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Let's not forget that GIAC and Cobb aren't the only two options out there. You should open it up to folks who have other 991 Turbo tuning options as well. FVD, Fabspeed, EVOMS, etc.....the more the merrier, right?
It is open to any 991 Turbo and Turbo S -- modded or not. Would love to see cars tuned by many different tuners show up

Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by vividracing
Be sure to get as much info as possible about the setups that are going head to head, interested to see the results
Yes that is exactly the information I will requiring people who run to disclose so that everyone knows what is being compared to what.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by jyupitt1
I will be there with my tts and Novitec tunes qp twin turbo 😀
So car 1 is Cobb Stage 2 with Fabspeed catless 991 TTS cab.

Car 2 is a Maserati Quattroporte with Novitec tune. Cannot wait to see how that performs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Atco october 7th giac vs. Cobb 991 turbo s shootout!!!!!!!