6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo-172/)
-   -   Got my COBB Stage II from SamboTT! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo/376082-got-my-cobb-stage-ii-sambott.html)

PMNewton 10-27-2015 08:13 PM

Got my COBB Stage II from SamboTT!

So my By Design Stage III is literally on it's way to my door and my COBB AP arrived early. Just for grins I decided to overwrite my GIAC stage II with the COBB stage II and take her for a spin. Boy howdy :eek: !!

Initially I noticed that it starts with more of a bark. Qualitatively, it feels very smooth and strong. One thing I noticed right away is that it builds boost very controllably and progressively in sport mode. I had 17psi indicated at ~3k rpm. It feels like the VTG vanes respond differently now. Like stock but with much more torque under the curve. My wife commented that it didn't feel like a rubber band anymore. I don't usually hear such perceptive commentary from the right seat so that should say something profound...

Even in third gear the whole car squirmed around a bit when the boost really came on. WEEEeeee! I didn't give it the full beans just yet because it's dark out and I am way too "first name" with the local constabulary but if I get a chance to open it up tomorrow on the way to work, I will certainly report back.

Thanks a bunch to the ever-cheerful Sambo TT. Great product and great service as always. Can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on those intercoolers next. MMMMWWWWwwaaahahahaha :D:D:D

- Patrick

cm09578 10-27-2015 08:22 PM

Stage 2 Cobb is incredible! Congrats! You still on stock rubber?

PMNewton 10-27-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by cm09578 (Post 4420426)
Stage 2 Cobb is incredible! Congrats! You still on stock rubber?

Hehe. By the feel of things, not for long :cool:...

- Patrick

COBB Tuning 10-27-2015 08:27 PM

Hey Patrick,

Glad you are so ecstatic with the Cobb Accessport! If you ever have any questions, comments, or would just like us to review a datalog please feel free to reach out to myself, Mitch, or anyone on the Cobb team at anytime!
We pride ourselves on always being available for questions and support.

It only gets better with the By Design Stage3 ;) Sam really has a great grasp on what makes these cars consistently fast and safe.

Thanks again Patrick!

- Jon

cm09578 10-27-2015 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by PMNewton (Post 4420427)
Hehe. By the feel of things, not for long :cool:...

- Patrick

haha, I feel you....with winter upon us on the east coast I'm undecided about tires until the spring.

cm09578 10-27-2015 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning (Post 4420430)
Hey Patrick,

Glad you are so ecstatic with the Cobb Accessport! If you ever have any questions, comments, or would just like us to review a datalog please feel free to reach out to myself, Mitch, or anyone on the Cobb team at anytime!

It only gets better with the By Design Stage3 ;) Sam really has a great grasp on what makes these cars consistently fast and safe.

Thanks again Patrick!

- Jon

Is the stage 3 map #s listed on the Cobb site?

jyupitt1 10-27-2015 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by PMNewton (Post 4420420)
So my By Design Stage III is literally on it's way to my door and my COBB AP arrived early. Just for grins I decided to overwrite my GIAC stage II with the COBB stage II and take her for a spin. Boy howdy :eek: !!

Initially I noticed that it starts with more of a bark. Qualitatively, it feels very smooth and strong. One thing I noticed right away is that it builds boost very controllably and progressively in sport mode. I had 17psi indicated at ~3k rpm. It feels like the VTG vanes respond differently now. Like stock but with much more torque under the curve. My wife commented that it didn't feel like a rubber band anymore. I don't usually hear such perceptive commentary from the right seat so that should say something profound...

Even in third gear the whole car squirmed around a bit when the boost really came on. WEEEeeee! I didn't give it the full beans just yet because it's dark out and I am way too "first name" with the local constabulary but if I get a chance to open it up tomorrow on the way to work, I will certainly report back.

Thanks a bunch to the ever-cheerful Sambo TT. Great product and great service as always. Can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on those intercoolers next. MMMMWWWWwwaaahahahaha :D:D:D

- Patrick

Is it a custom tune or ots?

PMNewton 10-27-2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning (Post 4420430)
Hey Patrick,

Thanks again Patrick!

- Jon

Thanks, Jon! I can't wait to work with all of you.

Originally Posted by cm09578 (Post 4420431)
haha, I feel you....with winter upon us on the east coast I'm undecided about tires until the spring.

I'm moving to Lexington, VA in March; otherwise I would be getting PS2s or Trofeo Rs! I have to remember that I won't be in the beautiful desert for much longer. :( The upshot is that I can finally haz 93 octanez!

Originally Posted by cm09578 (Post 4420433)

I didn't see it but then again, I wasn't looking for it.

Originally Posted by jyupitt1 (Post 4420440)
Is it a custom tune or ots?

I got the OTS map from the COBB website. The force is strong with this tune. Sambo graciously offered to tweak it to my mods but since I already have a tracking number for the Stage III kit I'll just hang tight for now.

- Patrick

COBB Tuning 10-27-2015 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by cm09578 (Post 4420433)

Good question! Not yet, but we will have Cobb Stage3 OTS maps available soon on our website for use with many aftermarket exhausts and intercoolers.

We understand that many folks have different parts from different manufacturers. The Cobb Stage3 maps will give you a great increase in power for those modifications however we always err on the side of caution with our OTS maps due to the vast amount of various aftermarket part combinations. More power may be extracted safely with a custom tune done by one of our protuners for someone's specific part combination.

The By Design Stage3 maps were made by Sam for use with the modifications that are dictated in the By Design kit to further optimize the tune for that specific part combination.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks!

-Jon

PMNewton 10-28-2015 05:49 PM

Update: I'm sold... Someone in another thread said that the COBB stage II pulls like an Airbus on takeoff. That's a perfect way to describe it and I wish I had thought of it first. It's got big block torque and feels more refined and effortless in general. The car just won't stop pulling. Now it's a GT "++" Very cool!

Best mod for the money. Hands down.

- Patrick

Scarafin 10-28-2015 07:39 PM

Just a quick question....if you buy the Cobb, do you always have to have the little hand held programmer attached.

I know alot of folks like to look at gauges and bits, but I prefer the uncluttered look. I just want to upload the file and remove the programmer. Is that possible.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but every person seems to attach the hand held unit in the car.

Cheers,
Scar

PMNewton 10-28-2015 07:52 PM

It's not a silly question. I asked the same thing. You just load the file and then you can unplug it and walk away! You only have to leave it connected for the gauges and data logging. Hope that helps!

- Patrick

Scarafin 10-28-2015 08:00 PM

Thanks Patrick for the quick reply :)

I too have the GIAC stage 2 tune, but am increasingly interested in what COBB can offer.

Scar

SamboTT@ByDesign 10-28-2015 08:09 PM

Patrick I'm so happy that you're satisfied and got what you were looking for. Everything else will start showing up tomorrow and on! Just wait until you love the stage III map after your hardware is put in. Thank you so much for the kind words and the articulate description. Your opinions mean a lot!

cm09578 10-28-2015 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scarafin (Post 4420994)
Just a quick question....if you buy the Cobb, do you always have to have the little hand held programmer attached.

I know alot of folks like to look at gauges and bits, but I prefer the uncluttered look. I just want to upload the file and remove the programmer. Is that possible.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but every person seems to attach the hand held unit in the car.

Cheers,
Scar

No, you do not have to leave it plugged in, although I like mine plugged in! :)