6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo-172/)
-   -   Stage 3 By Design all in! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo/376318-stage-3-design-all.html)

BLOWN SRT 10-31-2015 05:29 PM

Stage 3 By Design all in!

We finished installing my By Design I/C's on Thursday and loaded the map Sam supplied with the kit.

It's a nice upgrade from the Stage 2 setup, and notably quicker on the higher end of the scale - like from 80 and up.

The difference between stock and Stage 2 is still greater than the difference between Stage 2 and Stage 3, but I'd do it all over again to get to this point!

She's a all out beast now!

The car pulls much more in the higher range than it did in Stage 2! I'm impressed!

Gonna do some logging so we can enhance the tune, but I'm very happy!

I think I'm done now...don't need more power. I want to maintain the stock drivability and this is probably as far as I can go if I want that.

I think this is the 1st time I've ever built power without duplicating and pissing money away. LOL

Great job Sam; hats off to you!

PMNewton 10-31-2015 10:08 PM

Awesome. Congrats! I'm installing mine next weekend. Do you mind sharing any snags you ran into or tips for the install? You mentioned getting the ICs. Did you get the y-pipe? Decat? Tell us!!

- Patrick

BLOWN SRT 11-01-2015 03:49 AM

Y-pipe yes, decat, NO. I have decatted on other cars before...and to be honest, I'm not into the droning. I know I left some power on the table, but this is a DD for me and I don't race it, so I'll take comfort over the few ponies I left in there.

I decatted my FGT 3 yrs ago and couldn't live with it that way for long, as good as it sounded. It was just too loud and had a bit too much droning, so I put the cats back in.

I didn't do the work myself, but was there for most of the installation. There were really no snags involved. Everything went in smoothly, nothing was hard to fit and there were no obstacles.

sdg1871 11-01-2015 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Y-pipe yes, decat, NO. I have decatted on other cars before...and to be honest, I'm not into the droning. I know I left some power on the table, but this is a DD for me and I don't race it, so I'll take comfort over the few ponies I left in there.

I decatted my FGT 3 yrs ago and couldn't live with it that way for long, as good as it sounded. It was just too loud and had a bit too much droning, so I put the cats back in.

I didn't do the work myself, but was there for most of the installation. There were really no snags involved. Everything went in smoothly, nothing was hard to fit and there were no obstacles.

I don't have any droning with the Tubi catless. If anyone in the NYC area wants to see hit me up. Sound is just amazing--higher pitched and more race car like sounding under load than any other 991 Turbo/Turbo S exhaust I have ever heard.

I drove a Fabspeed catless 991 TTS cab and there was so much droning I couldn't wait to get out of the car.

I have not driven the Kline catless but a friend of mine on here who has it and who is honest about his assessment of his mods loves it.

BLOWN SRT 11-01-2015 07:46 AM

Geez...this may be the 1st mod I have to pay twice for...ughhhhh.

jyupitt1 11-01-2015 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I don't have any droning with the Tubi catless. If anyone in the NYC area wants to see hit me up. Sound is just amazing--higher pitched and more race car like sounding under load than any other 991 Turbo/Turbo S exhaust I have ever heard.

I drove a Fabspeed catless 991 TTS cab and there was so much droning I couldn't wait to get out of the car.

I have not driven the Kline catless but a friend of mine on here who has it and who is honest about his assessment of his mods loves it.

I drove sdg' car with tubi catless and was shocked at how quiet it was. I have the Fabspeed catless and it had a lot of drone. What's interesting is that after I took the Cobb tune off during service, my car became alot quieter.

SamboTT@ByDesign 11-01-2015 08:39 AM

Yeah John fueling and calibration makes a big difference.

Steve if the time did come I would take care of you on price and help take the edge off. I know the double exhaust purchase really sucks. Some guys have done triple or more! Tubi or Kline we can help you out to make this whole investment and experience more enjoyable.

PMNewton 11-01-2015 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jyupitt1 (Post 4422279)
I drove sdg' car with tubi catless and was shocked at how quiet it was. I have the Fabspeed catless and it had a lot of drone. What's interesting is that after I took the Cobb tune off during service, my car became alot quieter.

The COBB does sound different. It even sounds different than the GIAC stage II I had previously. Sorcery.

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 4422279)

I'm glad to hear about the Kline catless. I wasn't too worried about it but confirmation is always nice. Felix owed me a big favor so I got the decat pipes for free. Not too hard to swap back and forth either.

- Patrick

sdg1871 11-01-2015 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jyupitt1

The Tubi catless is quite loud. But it is definitely quiet when compared to a Fabspeed catless in a Turbo S cab.

sdg1871 11-01-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign

Steve if the time did come I would take care of you on price and help take the edge off. I know the double exhaust purchase really sucks. Some guys have done triple or more! Tubi or Kline we can help you out to make this whole investment and experience more enjoyable.

It does happen a lot. Happened with me too. Although in my case I really made the switch to Tubi catless from Europipe solely for a little more top end performance. Was quite satisfied with the sound of my europipe.

I know one guy who just got a Tubi street for his Turbo S and now thinks it's too quiet and wants the Tubi catless. The tough thing about buying an exhaust is a really don't know what you're getting unless you have the good fortune to find an owner with that exhaust so you can listen to it. The stock exhaust note in the car sucks and is way way too quiet for such a monster.

shifter_ 11-01-2015 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 4422297)
The tough thing about buying an exhaust is a really don't know what you're getting unless you have the good fortune to find an owner with that exhaust so you can listen to it.

true.

in my case I got lucky and my dealer pushed me into the FVD Brombacher sound exhaust and I've been very happy.

the dealer when I take it in for service and all my friends and people I run into love the sound as well.

when I do the VTG upgrade, I may look at going catless to eek out every bit of performance, but for now I'm happy with the sound and no drone.

SamboTT@ByDesign 11-01-2015 11:28 AM

These are all really great systems. That's what's nice is that there's a lot of different flavors for different tastes. An additional reason that I love the Kline because you can swap between cat and decat pretty easily. Plus still no drone so you can try different things and have the different options.

Visceral 11-01-2015 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT (Post 4422130)
I think I'm done now...don't need more power.

hilarious

C'mon, you're among friends. We have the same disease. None of us believe that statement for a second.

SamboTT@ByDesign 11-01-2015 03:02 PM

Yep! Plus hey you have a 24/7 crack dealer handy hilarious

BLOWN SRT 11-01-2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 4422280)

Thanks Sam, much appreciated. Something I will put a lot of thought and consideration into for sure!