insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 AM
jalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant future
insurance

I have searched but could not find what or who people are going with for insurance. I am currently with Travelers and got my renewal this morning and 1840.00 per year seems really high to me and that includes a multi car discount. Just curious who everyone else is covered with and what are the thoughts on the premium of 1840 a year. My car is a 15' Turbo S with 300/300 and 1k deductables on collision and comp.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:46 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
That's about what I pay with Progressive for 500k CSL and 250 deductibles

Actually I'm closer to 1600 at that.

Last edited by shifter_; 11-12-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
How many drivers on the policy?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:58 AM
jalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wrs
How many drivers on the policy?

Just 2 myself (41) wife (40)

Old 11-12-2015, 11:35 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jalnsx9434
Just 2 myself (41) wife (40)
I pay $550/mo for seven drivers and $750 deductible. We need to get rid of some of the drivers. We have three cars all high value. We use Farmers and my rate didn't go up when I had to claim $34k in road damage to the underside of my 991tts early this year.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:55 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Your rate didn't go up because they're already gouging you!

Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by shifter_
Your rate didn't go up because they're already gouging you!
LOL! I am used to it, been having younger drivers on my insurance for so long I got numb to it and we have shopped around. Actually it's only 6 now, the oldest has been off for a long time but we can get rid of three of them as none of them really drive the cars and don't have their own. We are going to do that and see what it comes down to.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't think drivers make that big of a difference unless they have bad records.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:35 PM
wrs
I don't think drivers make that big of a difference unless they have bad records.
Under 25 they do even with good records. I have two of those on there. One of them just turned 25 last month but nothing can change on that until the next renewal.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Not really accurate. Insurance companies will rate all drivers that live in house. Underage drivers will increase premiums, even if you tell them they don't have access to the cars. Some companies more flexible than others....

Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
I'm not looking forward to my son turning 16 in a few years. Like others have said, I can't "exclude" him from any of the cars.

Each state has a different policy requirement and different actuarial tables, so the fact that I pay ~$900 a year for the addition of the TTS really doesn't tell anyone else anything outside of Oregon. Annoyingly, each additional car doesn't get cheaper as you add more.

You have to pay to play with regards to insurance. It always seems like such a racket. I'm going to go stare at some balance sheets and stock graphs and see if I can get in on it.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by Visceral
I'm not looking forward to my son turning 16 in a few years. Like others have said, I can't "exclude" him from any of the cars.
Once they are 18 you can title a car in their name and put them on their own policy on that car. You then take them off your cars and they can be an occasional driver on those.

Each state has a different policy requirement and different actuarial tables, so the fact that I pay ~$900 a year for the addition of the TTS really doesn't tell anyone else anything outside of Oregon. Annoyingly, each additional car doesn't get cheaper as you add more.
In Texas it's by the county and for example, back when I first moved to Austin, in 1974, Travis county rates were half Harris county rates so I moved my insurance to Austin from Houston and saved a lot of money. I imagine Austin is just about as bad if not worse than Houston these days.

You have to pay to play with regards to insurance. It always seems like such a racket. I'm going to go stare at some balance sheets and stock graphs and see if I can get in on it.
Yep, this is why I am numb. My kids range from 35 to 21 in age and I started paying high rates 19 years ago because of that 35 year old and she promptly totaled my paid for 1993 Volvo 960 in the summer of 1997. Imagine what that did to my rates. I got her a junker 1986 Volvo 240 in 1998 for her high school senior year and college car. She managed to total it twice. Went to salvage on the title the first time and to the junkyard as scrap the second time.

Last edited by wrs; 11-12-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
I got her a junker 1986 Volvo 240 in 1998 for her high school senior year and college car. She managed to total it twice. Went to salvage on the title the first time and to the junkyard as scrap the second time.
Its funny you mention a 240. I have a 91 240 wagon 5-speed sitting waiting for the kids to turn 16. They have to learn to drive a stick shift, and they have to drive/wreck the $2500 Volvo for 4 years each before they go to college. 3 boys, 12 years of repairing a Volvo 240. Shouldn't be too expensive.

I loved Austin and Travis County. We lived there 98-01 and still have a house on Lake Conroe north of Houston. I'm not sure we'll ever get back permanently, but being a native Alaskan I have a certain appreciation for Texan ways of life.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 AM
wrs
Its funny you mention a 240. I have a 91 240 wagon 5-speed sitting waiting for the kids to turn 16. They have to learn to drive a stick shift, and they have to drive/wreck the $2500 Volvo for 4 years each before they go to college. 3 boys, 12 years of repairing a Volvo 240. Shouldn't be too expensive.

I loved Austin and Travis County. We lived there 98-01 and still have a house on Lake Conroe north of Houston. I'm not sure we'll ever get back permanently, but being a native Alaskan I have a certain appreciation for Texan ways of life.
Good luck with the Volvo, they are reliable. I really liked my 960 and had a '79 264 before that. My family comes from Houston and Walker County and I still own about 3500 acres in and around Huntsville so I am familiar with Conroe. Lake Conroe is a nice area and is sort of a retirement community now I think. Anyway, the piney woods are nice but we had a lot of tree loss as a result of the drought in 2011-12 and fires in 2011. Those were hard years on the trees west of 45. The soil is better to the east but in Houston they lost most of the trees in Memorial Park. Up here in Bastrop they just had their second pine fire this year after losing most of the Lost Pines back in 2011. I lost 110 acres of pines in 2011 and just missed a fire that started just north of one of my properties that is split by 45. That fire jumped the highway and burned up about 3000 acres just missing three other of my tracts.

Last edited by wrs; 11-13-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:59 AM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
GEICO for 40 years.

2 cars, full coverage

$1050 per year.

No tickets, no accidents, no claims

Happy with the rates.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: insurance