GIAC Solves Fuel System Limitation on 3.8 DI Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
GIAC Solves Fuel System Limitation on 3.8 DI Motor

Just in case you guys don't get over to the 997 section.

Cliffs notes:

As many know, the 3.8 motors used in the 997.2 and 991 are limited to maybe 650-700 wheel HP (the 991 system can handle more power).
Shops have tried for years but have been unsuccessful in upgrading this system, even on built motor cars.
GIAC in conjunction with a GIAC retailer successfully upgrades fuel system on a 997.2.
This particular GIAC retailer is now building the motor and PDK from that 997.2 to take advantage of additional fuel.
My 997.2 is at GIAC now getting this fuel system installed, with custom dyno tuning to safe limits of the stock motor.
Later, will have GIAC install this system on my 991 as I begin modding.

Full thread here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...el-system.html

Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
At this point I'm most interested in the PDK mods. I feel like mine is doing some weird things already and I'm on stock snails. Keep us updated!

- Patrick

Old 01-15-2016, 06:25 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Well this is huge news. Exciting.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Any updates? Would "this particular GIAC retailer" be someone on this board whom I could contact about the PDK upgrades? Thanks!

- Patrick

Old 01-18-2016, 07:51 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMNewton
Any updates? Would "this particular GIAC retailer" be someone on this board whom I could contact about the PDK upgrades? Thanks!

- Patrick
Patrick if you do not mind me asking what issues are you having with PDK since going to stage 3? Were the same issues there at stage 2 +?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Patrick if you do not mind me asking what issues are you having with PDK since going to stage 3? Were the same issues there at stage 2 +?
Just to clarify, I was only stage 2 GIAC before going to stage 3 COBB. I wouldn't call them "issues" per se. There isn't any noticeable slippage. I have just noticed that the upshifts to fourth and fifth under full boost but part throttle aren't as snappy. For example when the upshift results in the rpm falling right into the torque peak around 3000 rpm it seems to take a bit more time to fully engage the gear. Since I only put 700 gentle miles on the car before modding, I don't have much of a basis for comparison. I can't honestly say it wasn't that way when it was stock because I don't know. I do know that I would feel better continuing to mod if I knew the PDK was fully prepared for bigger turbos.

- Patrick

Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Just to clarify, I was only stage 2 GIAC before going to stage 3 COBB. I wouldn't call them "issues" per se. There isn't any noticeable slippage. I have just noticed that the upshifts to fourth and fifth under full boost but part throttle aren't as snappy. For example when the upshift results in the rpm falling right into the torque peak around 3000 rpm it seems to take a bit more time to fully engage the gear. Since I only put 700 gentle miles on the car before modding, I don't have much of a basis for comparison. I can't honestly say it wasn't that way when it was stock because I don't know. I do know that I would feel better continuing to mod if I knew the PDK was fully prepared for bigger turbos.

- Patrick
Got it. "upshifts to fourth and fifth under full boost" made me chuckle. You are moving at that speed. I would go out and try it right now in my car and give you feedback if i had a spot to get to those speeds haha.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Full boost, not full rpm. When I'm in third at 4500 rpm with full boost and the needle drops to 3000 rpm to pick up fourth gear the shift isn't snappy. I'm only going ~65mph at that point...

- Patrick

Old 01-18-2016, 08:56 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Why would you ever short shift at full boost?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by shifter_
Why would you ever short shift at full boost?
"I'm" not doing it. The car is doing it.

- Patrick

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
I guess that's why I never drive in auto mode unless it's also in sport plus.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Keep us posted on updates.

Originally Posted by longboarder
Just in case you guys don't get over to the 997 section.

Cliffs notes:

As many know, the 3.8 motors used in the 997.2 and 991 are limited to maybe 650-700 wheel HP (the 991 system can handle more power).
Shops have tried for years but have been unsuccessful in upgrading this system, even on built motor cars.
GIAC in conjunction with a GIAC retailer successfully upgrades fuel system on a 997.2.
This particular GIAC retailer is now building the motor and PDK from that 997.2 to take advantage of additional fuel.
My 997.2 is at GIAC now getting this fuel system installed, with custom dyno tuning to safe limits of the stock motor.
Later, will have GIAC install this system on my 991 as I begin modding.

Full thread here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...el-system.html

Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !

- Patrick

- Patrick
Hey Patrick, I will try to get more info on the GIAC retailer. But they are not in this country.

Regarding your PDK slippage, I get this all the time in the upper gears at WOT (whether short shifting or shirting at redline) unless I'm in Sport Plus on my 997. Reason begin is that the PDK line pressure is weaker in Normal mode. Sport is better and Sport Plus is best. Running higher power levels requires you to be in Sport Plus for snappy shifts.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Hey Patrick, I will try to get more info on the GIAC retailer. But they are not in this country.

Regarding your PDK slippage, I get this all the time in the upper gears at WOT (whether short shifting or shirting at redline) unless I'm in Sport Plus on my 997. Reason begin is that the PDK line pressure is weaker in Normal mode. Sport is better and Sport Plus is best. Running higher power levels requires you to be in Sport Plus for snappy shifts.
Good to know. Thanks for the info! I default to "Sport" mode every time I get in the car.

- Patrick

Old 01-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the info! I default to "Sport" mode every time I get in the car. - Patrick
Can you do me a favor and try Sport Plus in manual shift mode and see if that results in crisper shifts? Im asking because that works on my 997.2. Never needed to try on my 991 because it's still stock. I'm assuming the 997.2 and 991 both share the trait of providing higher line pressure in Sport Plus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC Solves Fuel System Limitation on 3.8 DI Motor