Cost to own as a dollar amt or percentage of sticker?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Cost to own as a dollar amt or percentage of sticker?

I am just curious to know what you plan to lose in the first two or three years.

It seems like the longer you own one, the less it cost's overall.
But...
My problem is, I don't own them for more than a couple of years, and I HATE losing money on a car.
Plus, if I do what I'm considering doing, I won't be able to pay cash for the car...

My old 996 turbo is in fantastic shape and serves me well... But damnit it love the new ones too!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 PM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
I plan to lose 150k. Just like Vegas, expect to lose .

Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !

Hi Dan good to see on this side! Jump in the water is fine and yeah...Vegas Baby!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:13 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dds007
I plan to lose 150k. Just like Vegas, expect to lose .
Ouch... Looks like I'm playing in the big leagues.
This is probably the best way to look at any car ownership. Thanks for the response.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign

Hi Dan good to see on this side! Jump in the water is fine and yeah...Vegas Baby!
Hi Sam...

Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hit me if you have any questions at all Dan. I've played with a lot of these cars and seen many of them be purchased and sold.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
In all seriousness, in the first 2-3 years. Expect to lose AT LEAST 25-30% of what you paid. Get options and colors that will be easy to re-sale if that's what your priority is. For instance, I will pass up any car that has tan or a light colored interior. Its just way too much upkeep for me to want to deal with.

By year 5, most cars will lose at least 50% of its value.

That being said, if you look at the prior generation 997.2 TT in today's market....not much has dipped below 100k.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by danhaug70
I am just curious to know what you plan to lose in the first two or three years.

But...
My problem is, I don't own them for more than a couple of years, and I HATE losing money on a car.
Plus, if I do what I'm considering doing, I won't be able to pay cash for the car...

My old 996 turbo is in fantastic shape and serves me well... But damnit it love the new ones too!
99% of all cars are a depreciating asset. Porsche is no exception.

You only live once, so for a true a car guy and if you have the means, why even try to overanalyze something something that gives pleasure in immeasurable ways.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
But...
What are considering doing? Consider buying pre-owned. Take much less of a hit.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM
TrevorD is on a distinguished road
I understand where you're coming from. I've been eyeing the 991 Turbo S since it came out, but I refused to buy it new. The depreciation off the lot is pretty hefty. I finally bought a 2014 this week with 1,430 miles on it. It stickered for $192k, and I bought it for $147,500. I totally agree that 99.5% of all cars are depreciating assets. I've done pretty decent with old cars, and I did make some money with a Challenger Hellcat last year. But, those instances are few and far between.

My recommendation is to look at the used market. It'll soften the blow of depreciation, but it'll still happen. I don't keep cars much more than a year at a time, so didn't want to be the guy to take the $40k+ hit from new.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 AM
M0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of light
I test drove a '15 TTS two days ago. The sticker was 190. You can pick up a 15 TTS with 4K miles for 150ish. I would never buy it off the lot as I would rather get a '16 the way I want it for that much money. Not sure if I am sold on the TTS. It was fun, but I don't know if it is 100K more fun than me E92. I really liked it though. I am going to wait for the '17 models to be released then grab a '15. I am in no rush. It certainly is not money well spent, but do what makes you happy.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Porsche of Silver Spring MD has a new left over 2015 that can be bought for 135000..
It's a 165 list car and someone should jump on it!
I've decided you boys play to rough for me.. for now anyway, I'm sticking with my old 966tt and may consider a 997tt upgrade or a 991 c4s.

Please ask for Jay and tell him Dan from KC passed the word along. He's a very nice guy and I feel bad backing out of this deal, but it's just to far outside my comfort $$ zone.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Porsche of Silver Spring MD has a new left over 2015 that can be bought for 135000..
I've decided you boys play to rough for me.. for now anyway, I'm sticking with my old 966tt and may consider a 997tt upgrade or a 991 c4s.

Please ask for Jay and tell him Dan from KC passed the word along. He's a very nice guy and I feel bad backing out of this deal, but it's just to far outside my comfort $$ zone.
Don't let us scare you. Its worth every penny! And that deal sounds AMAZING!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the interior on that car though? it is weird... Espresso with Rhodium Silver... I was considering it... they had it a long while, spoke with the manager about it but could not get myself to buy it. Sometimes I wonder how some dealerships option out their cars...

Last edited by KA 997TT; 02-24-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
Did you see the interior on that car though? it is weird... Espresso with Rhodium Silver... I was considering it... they had it a long while, spoke with the manager about it but could not get myself to buy it. Sometimes I wonder how some dealerships option out their cars...
I had a white 997c4s with the cocoa interior and thought it was gorgeous, so I thought I might like the espresso. The dealer described it as darker than the cocoa.
I did question how it would look with the silver though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost to own as a dollar amt or percentage of sticker?