Stage 3 build with By Design

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 PM
991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all
Stage 3 build with By Design

Hi Everyone,
I decided to skip Stage 1 to a Stage 3 with the help of Sam@ByDesign.

After a few emails and phone conversations with Sam, he was able to help me determine what my goals were for the vehicle. Sam is knowledgeable and genuinely passionate about his builds and the products that he sells, almost to a point where he can hardly contain his excitement for his clients, lol! Which is part of the main reason why I decided to have Sam perform the build for my vehicle.

Stage 3 Build:
Cobb AP with custom By Design tuning
By Design 4.5" billet intercoolers
IPD Plenum and Y-Pipe Kit
BMC Filter
100 HJS Decat
Kline Innovation exhaust system and equal length manifolds (Full Inconel)

I patiently waited for all the components to arrive before the next part of the waiting game.....installation. After a day or two, I received the "GOLDEN" message from Sam that my vehicle was ready and headed over to "The Speed Gallery", where the components were installed for my vehicle. When I arrived, I took a moment to look at and appreciate the amount of craftsmanship that went into the design and making of the Kline exhaust system....."beautiful".

I was able to finally experience what others have experienced with their Kline exhaust systems. When I turned the key to the ignition the sound of the Kline exhaust was noticeably louder and more aggressive sounding on a cold start-up and quieted down to a few decibels as the engine warmed up. I blipped the accelerator and the exhaust snarled back and immediately noticed how more responsive the engine revved compared to when my vehicle was stock.

After the engine warmed up, it was time to take the vehicle out on the road to test out my Stage 3 setup and boy…..I was not disappointed. In “Normal” mode the acceleration felt quicker, lighter, stronger and not to mention the exhaust sounded great. I then decided to take it up a notch with “Sport” mode and all of the above was much more amplified along with deep notes of pops and gurgles from the exhaust. After having some quality time in “Sport” mode, it was time to take it up to the final notch “Beast” mode and literally the vehicle’s personality changed completely. I decided that the freeway onramp was a good way to stretch out the legs and I’m glad that I did. When I merged onto the freeway and depress the accelerator…..I was met with an animal. The lightning quick response of the engine, the acceleration, combined with the sound of the Kline exhaust under hard acceleration was phenomenal and not to mention the pops and gurgles was now snarling and angry sounding. Also worthy of mentioning, I did not notice any drone in the cabin while driving in different mode settings and accelerations.

Since the Stage 3 build....I've managed to find an excuse to drive my “PetWolf” at least once a day, even though I have a daily driver, lol! I’m very happy with my Stage 3 setup and have received a lot of compliments on how the exhaust system sounds.

My experience with Sam throughout the build process has been a great experience and am looking forward on future builds with him in the future. Like what other members have stated before and I'll echo it again.....Sam's great at communicating with you and he's with you during every step of the build. Kuddos to Sam for providing me a great experience and keep up the great work!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey bud! I really appreciate the kind words and the great review which I'm sure will help those interested and just wondering about the details. Rack up another friendship and happy Stage 3 wolf! What a car to work with and even better owner! Enjoy safely and watch out for the bug to bite again!

...And that sound!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor
Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !
Thank you so much for the kind words! Enjoy the ride

Old 06-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
By the way it's official guys...The Kline Innovation exhaust systems with 100cel HJS Motorsports cats throw no cel! So for those who need the highest flow/top quality cats we've got that recipe down as well

Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 PM
991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all
Stage3 was nice while it lasted......

As many of you know, recently I did a Stage3 build with Sam@ByDesign and couldn’t be happier with the night and day difference it made in the car. With Stage3 the power came in hard and abrupt at lower RPMs , then it tapered off as you’re in the mid to higher RPMs. Which was great, but I wanted something more constant and gradual in terms of power delivery.

I called up Sam and we discussed what my options were in terms of what can be done to smooth out the power band without giving up too much and still be able to achieve my goals.

Sam suggested that I might want to consider going Stage4, which involves upgrading my stock turbochargers to a 68mm and a Stage4 custom tune. He explained to me what I can expect in the upgrade from Stage3 to a Stage4 and that it would address my concerns.

As so many before me have done, I caught the bug………the quest for more power.

Trusting in Sam’s knowledge and experience……I gave the green light to do the Stage4 upgrade. A day or two later I received the great news that the upgraded turbochargers were installed and that my “PetWolf“ would be dialed in on the Dyno over at Cobb.

My impressions after the Stage4 upgrade:
It was everything that Sam had promised and more….
The turbo’s spool quickly and effortlessly, without giving me whiplash. The power band is amazingly smooth and almost has a “stock” feel to it, but just with much more power. Even at mid to upper range RPM the car just continues to pull strong.

Sam oversaw the installation and took it down to dyno tuning at Cobb. I want to thank Sam and the Cobb team for the awesome support and the great product (AP) they’ve made available to us.

Attached Images