E-Gear Strikes Again! 10.05 @136 in his By Design Stage 2.5!! - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

E-Gear Strikes Again! 10.05 @136 in his By Design Stage 2.5!!

991 Turbo
Sponsored by:

E-Gear Strikes Again! 10.05 @136 in his By Design Stage 2.5!!

Old 08-28-2016, 01:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Talking E-Gear Strikes Again! 10.05 @136 in his By Design Stage 2.5!!

Congratulations E-Gear! Just when I thought 10.12 was it! Carlos and I kept working on his tune and waited for better conditions. Tonight he just ripped an awesome 10.05 @136 mph in still warm conditions! I got to say my friend you told me we were gonna do it! You drove the hell out of that thing and made us all look great! After lots of dedication it's so rewarding and just fun!

E-Gear was determined to run 10.0's with only a few bolt ons, factory Pirelli tires and custom tuning. We went straight to it and employed our By Design/Kline Innovation Exhaust, By Design Intercoolers and a BMC sport air filter with a By Design custom tune for unleaded race gas on the Cobb AP. I recognized his experience and passion right away as we built yet another friendship working together on this challenge. Many tests and data logs later we are here and now aiming for 9's by adding Kline Innovation equal link manifolds and continuing to dial this record breaker in. It's the fastest stock turbo 991 I know compared to some with even more modifications, supplemental fueling and race tires!

I love what I do and am really proud to be a part of yours and everyone else's projects/ fun Carlos! Thanks for the faith and chance! Lastly once again a huge thanks to our team of supportive manufacturers/suppliers and especially Cobb Tuning and my boys there for the ultimate tuning tool and development collaboration!

I look forward to sharing the development and performance so many people worked so hard to create with more members ready to have some fun building a By Design 991 Turbo!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 08-28-2016, 01:42 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats Sam and Carlos! Epic!

Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 AM
Bobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond reputeBobbyfali has a reputation beyond repute
E-Gear getting it done as usual!

Big congrats to you Sam the man as well!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:03 AM
918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute
E-Gear, Great Job! I to was a non believers but you did it! Congrats!!!!

Jeff

Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 AM
wrs
wrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond repute
So 1.52 60ft is OK but others have run lower with higher ETs. Even the lower 1.6 ones I get when I get good traction never result in times less than 10.5. I would like to see you post your AP log for that run using Excel. Do you know how to do that? I have posted a number of them and what I see is wheel slip at every gear change but you must not be having any of that in your tune. This is pretty amazing given that it's not dependent on having drag slicks. So what settings do you have the car in? Is PDCC on and what about TC and are you using launch control? It would also be interesting to see your IAT as well.

One thing I know you have different than me is you have no cats and while I know that helps, does it do this much? Has no cats allowed you to tweak the tune more?

Here is an example of the Excel plot.

Attached Images   

Last edited by wrs; 08-28-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:22 AM
Nanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond reputeNanook has a reputation beyond repute
Way to go guys..kudos to you both..for some reason I figure this is not yet the end

Old 08-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Cheers everyone!

WRS, i'd be willing to send you a system and map to test versus your current set up. I remember on the dyno the boys got everything they could for you and you had impressive gains going from stage 2 to stage 3. The exhaust does make a difference as a whole though especially decat. You would enjoy even better performance on longer runs as well as in the 1/4. I guarantee it 100% And a really cool feature is that within one hour you could pop the modular cats back on. Even then we can run 100cel HJS motorsport units for much more catted flow than what you currently have. It will unlock what you've been looking for.

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 AM
wrs
wrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Cheers everyone!

WRS, i'd be willing to send you a system and map to test versus your current set up. I remember on the dyno the boys got everything they could for you and you had impressive gains going from stage 2 to stage 3. The exhaust does make a difference as a whole though especially decat. You would enjoy even better performance on longer runs as well as in the 1/4. I guarantee it 100% And a really cool feature is that within one hour you could pop the modular cats back on. Even then we can run 100cel HJS motorsport units for much more catted flow than what you currently have. It will unlock what you've been looking for.
I will call you next week. One thing I might try out at my county road is the ice trick. I just have been too unmotivated to drive all the way down to SAR in this summer heat since having to turn around due to traffic in June. I could pack the ICs with ice and do a couple of back to back quarters out there and see how that does. My IATs are starting well over 115 to 120 and so if they were about 20 degrees lower, it might help.

The issue I have with the decat is that I ordered the decat pipes from FVD but after several weeks they hadn't even started fabbing so I cancelled the order. I might call Rhonda and see if they have a set in stock. I have to get the car inspected this month so a decat could last me for a year now. It might be worth giving a try.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:45 AM
White991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond reputeWhite991TT has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations E-Gear! Just when I thought 10.12 was it! Carlos and I kept working on his tune and waited for better conditions. Tonight he just ripped an awesome 10.05 @136 mph in still warm conditions! I got to say my friend you told me we were gonna do it! You drove the hell out of that thing and made us all look great! After lots of dedication it's so rewarding and just fun!

Congratulations E-Gear!
One of the most impressive feats I've seen on the boards yet. A relatively stock 911TT running 9's..... Keep shaking it up!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:56 AM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute

E-Gear was determined to run 10.0's with only a few bolt ons, factory Pirelli tires and custom tuning. We went straight to it and employed our By Design/Kline Innovation Exhaust, By Design Intercoolers and a BMC sport air filter with a By Design custom tune for unleaded race gas on the Cobb AP. I recognized his experience and passion right away as we built yet another friendship working together on this challenge. Many tests and data logs later we are here and now aiming for 9's by adding Kline Innovation equal link manifolds and continuing to dial this record breaker in. It's the fastest stock turbo 991 I know compared to some with even more modifications, supplemental fueling and race tires!

I love what I do and am really proud to be a part of yours and everyone else's projects/ fun Carlos! Thanks for the faith and chance! Lastly once again a huge thanks to our team of supportive manufacturers/suppliers and especially Cobb Tuning and my boys there for the ultimate tuning tool and development collaboration!

I look forward to sharing the development and performance so many people worked so hard to create with more members ready to have some fun building a By Design 991 Turbo!

Sam,

Thank YOU for all the endless support...it has been a pleasure working with YOU and all your affiliates.

All the hard work (many datalogs, map customizations and attention to details) in track psi adjustments and so on has paid off.

Perhaps cooler weather with headers under additional map customization and new PZero rear tires would net us 9.90's pass...

My mission has been accomplished...for now.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 08-28-2016, 12:08 PM
sdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond reputesdg1871 has a reputation beyond repute
Holy hell. I didn't think these kind of numbers were possible with that set up.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:14 PM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
Guys...thank you for all the support

It was not easy, but not as hard as I thought it would be. To me, the key was: working with Sam very closely and always paying close attention to all the little details.

Mr. WRS, I don't know what to tell ya brotha. From day one I always felt that you should run faster considering your mods, but somehow something is holding you back. Don't get wrong, running 10.50's to 10.60's is not slow, but it is also what some guys are running with only a Stage 1 tune and nothing else. Perhaps it is time for you to stop working around your current hardware and use a proven combo and tuner. I know it would be costly, but that is the only thing I can think of for now.

Try the ice trick and if you like. Remember, dollar stores have cheap foam coolers which fits perfectly in the frunk. You can load it up with ice cubes and used it at the track.

Thanks again for all the support.

E-Gear

Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by wrs View Post
I will call you next week. One thing I might try out at my county road is the ice trick. I just have been too unmotivated to drive all the way down to SAR in this summer heat since having to turn around due to traffic in June. I could pack the ICs with ice and do a couple of back to back quarters out there and see how that does. My IATs are starting well over 115 to 120 and so if they were about 20 degrees lower, it might help.

The issue I have with the decat is that I ordered the decat pipes from FVD but after several weeks they hadn't even started fabbing so I cancelled the order. I might call Rhonda and see if they have a set in stock. I have to get the car inspected this month so a decat could last me for a year now. It might be worth giving a try.
Yes that would definitely help supplement the conditions out there. Anytime my friend. I'm here to help and look at logs so we can continue working with you to keep having fun and improving!

Old 08-28-2016, 12:28 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by E-Gear View Post
Mr. WRS, I don't know what to tell ya brotha. From day one I always felt that you should run faster considering your mods, but somehow something is holding you back. Don't get wrong, running 10.50's to 10.60's is not slow, but it is also what some guys are running with only a Stage 1 tune and nothing else. Perhaps it is time for you to stop working around your current hardware and use a proven combo and tuner. I know it would be costly, but that is the only thing I can think of for now.

Try the ice trick and if you like. Remember, dollar stores have cheap foam coolers which fits perfectly in the frunk. You can load it up with ice cubes and used it at the track.

Thanks again for all the support.

E-Gear
I have the cooler and I will try it at the county road with the Vbox first. It's easier for me to go there than SAR. I have a Sambo/ByDesign setup except I have FVD headers and exhaust which can't make the kind of difference we are talking about. I don' t know if decatting would but I think the ice is worth a try first to see how lower IATs help in the heat.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
Holy hell. I didn't think these kind of numbers were possible with that set up.

Oh yeah, very possible homie.

Here is the kicker, Sam and I analyzed logs based off the more aggressive map the night before.

Here is my quick take: perhaps this little juicier map would have netted me a 10.00 pass if I could have hooked better off the line...1.49/or 1.48 vs. the 1.52. Also, my 3K mile Pirelli rear tires are beginning to fade away.

Looking at my 1/8 ET & MPH splits, the 1/4 ET appears in line, but my 1/4 MPH is not. It tells me that I either lost momentum due to slight early traction loss (little tire spin), or I've reached the limits of efficiency from my current set up on the big end. Meaning, the car needs freer breathing up top...perhaps headers would help.

Perhaps this is why Porsche introduced slightly bigger turbos and revised intake on the .2's to help it charge better on top. And to retain traction on the bottom, they widened the rear wheels .5" and introduced a stickier PZero N2 compound.

If I install the new PZero N2 tires vs. direct the direct .1 replacement... would that be cheating?

Thanks,
E-Gear

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E-Gear Strikes Again! 10.05 @136 in his By Design Stage 2.5!!

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.