6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo-172/)
-   -   991 Turbo S Kline vs Akrapovic (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo/397493-991-turbo-s-kline-vs-akrapovic.html)

fbomb 10-01-2016 10:44 PM

991 Turbo S Kline vs Akrapovic

2 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a 2015 911 Turbo S, and have been researching which exhaust to get. I have read through tons of threads and had decided to get the Kline with high flow cats. There is now a member selling a Akrapovic for around the same price as the Kline. It is really hard to tell things from the videos, so I thought I would post and see if any board members had heard both in person. Car currently has speedtech 3" x-pipes with no rear muffler, and though is sounds awesome, it is a little loud for me and I couldn't handle the drone on the highway. So for anyone who has heard both in person (or just has an opinion):

1)How would you compare the volume in normal mode putting around town between the two?
2)Does either drone at all?
3)Which is louder at WOT outside the car?
4)Is there any performance difference between the two?
5)In your opinion which sounds better overall?

This is my first Porsche, I have had a long line of M BMWs prior (e46 M3, E60 M5, f12, M6). I use the car as a daily driver and thought I would have to make some compromises, but this car is better in every way. (as long as you only have one passenger). I did not know a car could even be this good, it is like crack in car form. :D:D:D:D:D

Great community here and over at Rennlist, lots of knowledgeable members, not many trolls.

Attachment 460326

Attachment 460327

Karl911 10-02-2016 10:29 AM

Buy the Akrapovic, if you do not PM me the contact and i will buy it!!

SamboTT@ByDesign 10-02-2016 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by fbomb (Post 4566490)
I recently purchased a 2015 911 Turbo S, and have been researching which exhaust to get. I have read through tons of threads and had decided to get the Kline with high flow cats. There is now a member selling a Akrapovic for around the same price as the Kline. It is really hard to tell things from the videos, so I thought I would post and see if any board members had heard both in person. Car currently has speedtech 3" x-pipes with no rear muffler, and though is sounds awesome, it is a little loud for me and I couldn't handle the drone on the highway. So for anyone who has heard both in person (or just has an opinion):

1)How would you compare the volume in normal mode putting around town between the two?

This is my first Porsche, I have had a long line of M BMWs prior (e46 M3, E60 M5, f12, M6). I use the car as a daily driver and thought I would have to make some compromises, but this car is better in every way. (as long as you only have one passenger). I did not know a car could even be this good, it is like crack in car form. :D:D:D:D:D

Great community here and over at Rennlist, lots of knowledgeable members, not many trolls.

Attachment 460326

Attachment 460327

Congrats on the car! You will find great reviews and opinions on both so that makes it difficult. Both offer interchangeable cats which is nice. Sound character is different so that may help you decide. Since you are in LA feel free to give me a call and drop by. I have 2 cars at the shop with Akra going to Stage 4 and one here with the Kline 70+. The Akra cars will be coming apart soon to start work and we will be swapping fro 100 cats to decat for track. I also have several Kline local guys who are great and you can see what all the buzz is about! Whatever I can do to help make it an easy choice would be my pleasure.

Best

Td33 10-02-2016 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by fbomb (Post 4566490)

Attachment 460326

Attachment 460327

Congrats on the new ride and thanks for the pics.

I have a 17 turbo s and put a new Kline system, with headers, on. I bought the system from Sam, ByDesign automotive, and could not be happier.

The other day I took a friend out and let him drive. He's a hard core AMG guy. He couldn't get over how well the turbo sounded.

If your able, I would take Sam up on his offer and stop by and see him. Great guy and great costumer service. Definitely worth your time.

Good luck and enjoy!

Visceral 10-02-2016 03:01 PM

The Akrapovic is, as you probably know, typically twice the price of the Kline Inconel.

There are a couple differences in what tips are used or required, so it would be good to understand what you are setting yourself up for in appearance.

Otherwise, both are pretty good in the performance space. I would make the decision on sound. Based on a bit of research, its my impression that the Akrapovic is going to filter out more of the lower frequencies, sounding a little quieter in the car. Neither has any drone like the Speedtech (I had the Sharkwerks thats similar).

Im surprised the Akra is available at that price. The nice thing about it is that if you buy it and its in proper working order, you can try it and you won't lose a penny if you sell it.

WheelB 10-03-2016 08:49 AM

Congrats FBOMB. Beautiful tone of gray on your ride, stands out a lot.

The Akrapovic sound is very refined. It's not obnoxiously loud as some aftermarket exhausts are and it's not subdued either - just right. There is zero drone with this system. We get customers that ask for all sorts of exhausts for their Porsche's but the one brand that continuously gets repeat customers no matter what model vehicle they switch to is Akrapovic.

Bobbyfali 10-03-2016 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 4566581)
Congrats on the car! You will find great reviews and opinions on both so that makes it difficult. Both offer interchangeable cats which is nice. Sound character is different so that may help you decide. Since you are in LA feel free to give me a call and drop by. I have 2 cars at the shop with Akra going to Stage 4 and one here with the Kline 70+. The Akra cars will be coming apart soon to start work and we will be swapping fro 100 cats to decat for track. I also have several Kline local guys who are great and you can see what all the buzz is about! Whatever I can do to help make it an easy choice would be my pleasure.

Best

Wow Sam should take care of all your questions / objection to your concern of which exhaust! Can't get any better then that!

Flip side as said already, if your getting it for the price of the Kline, try it and if you don't like it, you can most likely sell it for a profit for your hassles.

SamboTT@ByDesign 10-03-2016 01:11 PM

Cheers everyone. I'll say that I believe I know who you are looking to buy it from. Great seller and great price. It's true you may be able to jump on the opportunity and have options :)

Felix_Kline 10-04-2016 07:31 AM

Awesome color!

We are here if you have any kind of questions regarding our exhausts. The testimonials speak for themselves, Kline Inconel system is unique and you will surely enjoy it.

Ordering it from Sam will be a sure bet ;)

fbomb 10-08-2016 02:00 AM

Thanks for all the insights, seems like a lot of cool people on this board and tons of good information. I really am still in shock over how awesome this car is. Other than the fairly crappy Bose stereo, the car is perfect. The previous owner very tastefully modded some stuff, matt gray vinyl wrap (applied by dealer new), factory aero package, just the right amount of glossy black details (car is black underneath), Speedtech exhaust. I haven't really seen another turbo that looks quite like it. Car had 8k miles and I got a pretty good deal from Porsche of San Diego.

I already reached out to Sam and I am definitely going to work with him as I make the car my own. I normally don't keep cars for more than two years, but this car is so good, I am not sure where I go from here. Is this the apex auto?

shifter_ 10-08-2016 06:42 AM

Sorry you didn't go with the Burmester! It really makes the icing on the cake. The Bose is junk. When I heard it the first time I was convinced there was no way I wasn't getting the Burmester.

fbomb 10-08-2016 10:30 PM

Yeh, I am kind of bummed. It is shocking that the bose is so bad on a car at this level. The car was exactly what I wanted otherwise so, it is not a big deal to me. It actually encourages me to turn the stereo off and listen to the engine. : )

fbomb 10-09-2016 12:29 AM

Decided on the Akra, picking it up tomorrow and having Sam install it next week. Don't love the look of the tips, does anyone know of a mod to put stock, or other tips on instead. Will be posting SpeedTech for sale really cheap once it's off and I get pics.

_ace_ 10-09-2016 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by fbomb (Post 4568846)
Yeh, I am kind of bummed. It is shocking that the bose is so bad on a car at this level. The car was exactly what I wanted otherwise so, it is not a big deal to me. It actually encourages me to turn the stereo off and listen to the engine. : )

That's not a bad thing! :)

If the Bose ends up bothering you a lot you can always spend a few grand and swap it out for something halfway decent on the aftermarket. You can keep the factory head unit and everything. You'll never get your money back on that though, so if you keep it a while it might make sense but if you're a chronic car flipper it's probably better to rely on the engine soundtrack instead.

momostyle 11-13-2016 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Felix_Kline (Post 4567186)
Awesome color! We are here if you have any kind of questions regarding our exhausts. The testimonials speak for themselves, Kline Inconel system is unique and you will surely enjoy it. Ordering it from Sam will be a sure bet ;)

Hi felix. Do you have vendors of kline in canada?