Mission Accomplished: 9's in the 1/4 mile!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:56 PM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
Mission Accomplished: 9's in the 1/4 mile!!!

Finally, mission accomplished.🇺🇸

Let me thank Sam at ByDesign, Mitch at COBB and one local cop for not citing me during one of my late, late night back streets testing. LOL

My 2016 TTS is equipped with: COBB AP tuned by Sam, ByDesign IC's, Kline exhaust no cats and BMC filter. Car is fine tuned after many logs for race and 93 pump gas. All for either super hot weather, cool weather and in between.

Ran a 9.99 pass...finally! As some of you may recall, my last track visit netted me a 10.05 run under a 70 or so degree night and after cooling vehicle for an hour or so and IC's with ice cubes, water and spraying them with CO2 to freeze them.

Last night was a cool night, around 51F. I cooled vehicle and iced IC's...no CO2 and no water this time. Track prep was great. However, I did run behind a W tire equipped Camaro which ran low 8's...he left some good rubber for me.

I am proud of this run; barely dipping into the 9's though, but nines nonetheless. I couldn't back it up, but planning on visiting track next Friday night and partake in the import war event. My track working buddy claims that track will be super sticky for this event. Perhaps I'll get a chance to repeat. This time I'll bring my CO2 tank, carpet dryer fan, water hose and cooler filled with plenty of ice and extra 104GT plus fuel.

If you're planning to be around Ennis Texas next Friday night, stop by and check out the event and my runs.

Below is my slip...sorry for all my little notes; that is how I keep my diary from one pass to the next soon after making a pass as I race my TTS, C7Z or C6Z. I usually just post the section with the timing splits...last time some folks wanted to see it all...well then, here it is.

Side note: I learned something about my stock PZero tires. My car now bites better with more psi as these tires began to wear down. I now run a little more psi. I tried 36R & 33F cold in the streets and it worked. It worked at track as well, except for one pound less in the front (32F) cold! When my tires were newer and in the summer, I raced with: 29F/33R cold!

Here is my theory: middle thread is now worn more, running less psi will cause you to run/ride more on the hard edge/sidewall even after suspension squats which translates to less center contact patch. By adding more air, I am forcing her to use more of the center of the tires as tread wears down. This practice translates to every day use and with any street stock tires, but just passing along what has worked for me. Remember, I've been cutting between 1.52' and 1.47's since bone stock to now.

Anyway, just sharing some of my best practices and some of my notes (secrets) for all to try. Hey, it may work for you as well.😀

Thanks,
E-Gear😃

Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Congrats!

All things come to those who work and practice.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:59 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Not just a 9.99 but a 9.999! That's awesome you should frame that slip.

Big congrats all the hard work paid off. I was hoping this would happen on the stock tires. You're inspiring me to keep mine on.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:46 AM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Visceral
Congrats!

All things come to those who work and practice.
Thanks Mr V.

It was hard work indeed. Lots of data analysis, lots of late night data logs, lots of texts, emails and phone conversations with Sam at ByDesign and lots of tires psi experimentations.

E-Gear

Old 11-13-2016, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Not just a 9.99 but a 9.999! That's awesome you should frame that slip.

Big congrats all the hard work paid off. I was hoping this would happen on the stock tires. You're inspiring me to keep mine on.
Thanks homie. Yep, just barely making it. LOL

Funny you said frame it...here is a summary:
Lady at booth hands over the slip, it's dark, I put other window down and drove back to my parking spot with helmet still on. I see some guys looking at me giving me thumps up...I'm like: "what?" Two buddies rushed to me and were like dude...you did it! One reaches in and grabbed slip, rips it in half and suggested the exact thing...he said: "frame this". I said give it back so I can write notes before I forget how it happened.

Yes, I will frame and put in my home office.

And yes, these Pirellis are not bad under proper psi and proper heat. I'm impressed with them. Before it all started this summer, I was dead set on the MPSS tires, but as things moved forward, that idea went away.

I will replace these with the new stock 2017 TTS Pirellis; I'm hearing and seeing more and more that the new compound are even better (stickier) than those found in the 991.1. I wish they came in 325mm, or at least 315mm sizes.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 11-13-2016, 07:12 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I had a feeling more psi was better because that is what I got the 10.5 run on out at my county road under similar conditions. Maybe I will drive up to Ennis next Friday, no promises but it would be fun to meet in person. I really hate getting on 35 though.

Good work, now what?

Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 AM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Congrats & great job E-Gear..your persistence certainly paid off...I'd luv to see 9..maybe next year..btw how do you like the Sprintbooster...I have one on my ZR1 and a PedalBox on my ML63...just received my PB for the TTS but not sure if it's even needed ?
Once again way to go !!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:18 AM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations!

Old 11-13-2016, 09:42 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Congratulations.

What a fantastic result

Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
My man! Really happy for you buddy and I appreciate your kind words. It really is your dedication and effort! Between this and the Cubs you're looking at a record month buddy! Great job Carlos and thanks for smashing that ceiling!!!

Old 11-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by wrs
I had a feeling more psi was better because that is what I got the 10.5 run on out at my county road under similar conditions. Maybe I will drive up to Ennis next Friday, no promises but it would be fun to meet in person. I really hate getting on 35 though.

Good work, now what?
Yep, play with psi. Remember, for drag racing, you always want to run as much psi as possible before traction loss vs track surface.

Yes, 35 sucks! I hate it BIG time.

Next...I don't know. If I keep car, headers, Y-pipe...more tuning. I want to see how fast/far the stock turbos can take me/us.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Nanook
Congrats & great job E-Gear..your persistence certainly paid off...I'd luv to see 9..maybe next year..btw how do you like the Sprintbooster...I have one on my ZR1 and a PedalBox on my ML63...just received my PB for the TTS but not sure if it's even needed ?
Once again way to go !!
Thanks!

Oh...the good 'ol SB debate...I tell ya, Sam, Mitch and I went back & forth for almost a week on this.

Bottom line, I like it. Here is why: these cars tend to show a little bit of spark knock/correction in the lower R's even when stock. As we tuned it, this spark phenomenon was more pronounced especially during the summer heat.

My solution: slightly less timing from ~2,800 rpms and lower and use the SB to offset that little soft feel, especially on regular mode. Sam was able to tweak around it, ensuring it was not too touchy. Yes, at first throttle was very peppy (i loved it), but my wife didn't. Her comments..."what did you do to the car now?" "I just tap the gas and I'm doing 50mph, the car seems provoked...it just wants to go"

So we dialed it back in the street maps...the race maps are untouched and I like how it works.

Overall in the streets, I rarely use the sports buttons under any map with the SB activated...on red of course.

My vote is: get one.

Hope this helps

E-Gear

Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by _ace_
Congratulations!
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Congratulations.

What a fantastic result
Thanks amigos.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Yes I agree as you say get one..I now have three...and to the doubters..just try it..

I have a very incidental hesitation/flat spot and easy throttle tip in..dunno what it is but I'm hoping once I get the PB installed it will be gone..

Old 11-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by _ace_
Congratulations!
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Congratulations.

What a fantastic result
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
My man! Really happy for you buddy and I appreciate your kind words. It really is your dedication and effort! Between this and the Cubs you're looking at a record month buddy! Great job Carlos and thanks for smashing that ceiling!!!
Oh yes, my Cubs did it. Drove TTS from Texas to Chicago (my home town and where family resides) to catch an NLCS game vs the Dodgers.

It was a joint effort amigo. You patiently worked and experimented with me. Many other tuners won't do what you did, let alone answer the phone or reply to inquiries...YOU WERE THERE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY....THANK YOU!!!!!

E-Gear

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.