Drag Tires for 1/2 mile events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Drag Tires for 1/2 mile events

I see a lot of posts about using R888 rear tires for half mile and drag racing events. I wanted to ask, has anyone tried a drag racing tire like the http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip/et-street-ss/? For drag racing the muscle car guys prefer them over the R888s almost without exception saying they just hook up better.

The P335/25R20 size has a rear tire diameter 2.2% smaller than stock, so it's not out of the range for an essentially event-only tire. If matching front diameters are desired, 265/30 PSS or Pzero fronts are 1.9% smaller than stock or for a real drag racer look a 225/35R20 PSS is right at 2.2% smaller. I would love to see a 225/335 stagger on one of these cars at an event....

It's been really fun seeing how far you guys can take this platform!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Hello,

I had some R888's on the 997.2 TTS, very soft compound and honestly, did not like how they y felt at high speeds...there is a new revision of the R888 out there, not sure if it's better or what they changed. Those MT look good, but I would personally only used them for 1/4 mile runs. I just installed some PS4's which are what I will be using for the next 1/2 mile event in Ocala, love them, actually like them better than the PS2's that I had on the 997.2 TTS before the R888's. Just my two cents!

Manuel

Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
The R888s lead to a fantastic launch with this car. I'm a little scared to use full out drag radials as I don't want to risk breaking the axle or transmission. I was getting basically zero wheelspin launching on an unprepared runway with our triple H and that is with the stage 4 turbo upgrade without meth

Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey Ace! We have found after extensive testing that the PDK computer holds launch load and force at a certain point. The reason the Toyo's are so popular is because they get you to that point with a little more versatility. No matter what we see approximately 1.5 60ft times. For example with the Mickey's we tried 35 PSI, 25 psi or even 15 as recommended. 1.5+ or minus a few hundredths every time! Introduce more torque, more power, different launch strategy or even transmission software and a high performance clutch it tries to do the same thing. If you coax more out of it...bang things break. Some of the 991.2 cars are heading 1.5 X with street tires and just exhaust! Porsche has done a pretty spectacular job. Now when you get into the Toyo you're almost guaranteed more consistent launches versus some of the Perelli and Michelin that don't always get you to the 1.5 60 foot times. If you are lucky you'll catch a 1.48 or something without trouble but it's rare. In the half mile we've seen great results with stock tires actually. Less rolling resistance and they are lighter. This is from testing a different power levels on different tracks with different cars. Feel free to reach out I can share more. Depends if you want to get out in front of guys or if you want to race the clock. In the half mile street tires do great against the trap speeds.

Unfortunately I think we've seen the limits until we see some billet transmissions. Half-mile however we can push further and we should get Mark's car back on the road pretty soon for that. 180 on VTG's would be awesome! To answer your question about the rolling diameter they are all OK so far you just may need to play with pressures. I have spoken with a few guys like Anthony Taylor who have almost 2000 hp and they will not run a Mickey Thompson beyond about 170 mph it's a freak show LOL

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 07-17-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
yes, I have a set of P335/25R20 MTs on 19" rims. runs great and really hooks up like glue.

and actually, I'm selling them. I haven't listed them anywhere yet, but if you're interested PM me. I ran them at the track one night. trailered the car there and back, made 2 runs. other than that they are brand new, already mounted on Oz aluminum rims.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
drag racing is all about the tallest sidewall and the softest compound you can get. thats why most serious racers use a 15 or 16" rim with a 50 sidewall for huge hook and flex to keep from breaking parts. there isnt a 20" drag tire made thats worth a squat. a 25 sidewall has virtually zero flex in it. about the best you can do is move down to a 305/35-18 or a 305/45-18 mickey et street s/s if your brake setup allows that.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
yes, I have a set of P335/25R20 MTs on 19" rims. runs great and really hooks up like glue.

and actually, I'm selling them. I haven't listed them anywhere yet, but if you're interested PM me. I ran them at the track one night. trailered the car there and back, made 2 runs. other than that they are brand new, already mounted on Oz aluminum rims.
20" tires mounted on 19" rims? thats interesting

Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
drag racing is all about the tallest sidewall and the softest compound you can get. thats why most serious racers use a 15 or 16" rim with a 50 sidewall for huge hook and flex to keep from breaking parts. there isnt a 20" drag tire made thats worth a squat. a 25 sidewall has virtually zero flex in it. about the best you can do is move down to a 305/35-18 or a 305/45-18 mickey et street s/s if your brake setup allows that.
I agree with you for the 1/4 mile, but good luck going down the 1/2 mile @ 160 mph +++ and then stoping with a 50 sidewall.

Manuel

Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Shifter has a nice set-up. 325-30-19 and they hook very consistently. It's on a specific OZ 19" wheel that will fit over the wheel carriers in the rear and give you a little more sidewall. On the pikes peak car we ran Cup rear suspension and 18" wheels trying several different tires. The TCU still holds things where it wants to. Best thing to do is get that "TCU-allowed" best consistently. Spare rear wheel are nice so you can use the better street tries daily.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 AM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Really interesting stuff here guys.

I had figured more stick would be king but (valid) drivetrain concerns might be keeping folks away. Didn't realize the TCU would intervene too and inhibit the car from going much quicker. I assume that's to protect the drivetrain. With that going on, the popularity of the R888 makes a lot of sense as they're far more versatile.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Boosted TTS
I agree with you for the 1/4 mile, but good luck going down the 1/2 mile @ 160 mph +++ and then stoping with a 50 sidewall.

Manuel
how is that any different than going 200 plus in the 1/4 mile and having to stop? thats why high hp cars use drag chutes.

and btw 160 mph in the half is like a mildly modded 996 turbo not a huge mph.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by _ace_
Really interesting stuff here guys.

I had figured more stick would be king but (valid) drivetrain concerns might be keeping folks away. Didn't realize the TCU would intervene too and inhibit the car from going much quicker. I assume that's to protect the drivetrain. With that going on, the popularity of the R888 makes a lot of sense as they're far more versatile.
Exactly because you definitely do not want to get ants! The MT's are even better in 19 and 20 for the 1/4 and still proven/safe with the stock clutch. In the 1/2 with a 991 unless you have over 1200hp the MT's will slow your ET down.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:02 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
20" tires mounted on 19" rims? thats interesting

yeah, sorry, I copied that from his post. this is what I have.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Shifter has a nice set-up. 325-30-19 and they hook very consistently.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Shifter has a nice set-up. 325-30-19 and they hook very consistently. It's on a specific OZ 19" wheel that will fit over the wheel carriers in the rear and give you a little more sidewall. On the pikes peak car we ran Cup rear suspension and 18" wheels trying several different tires. The TCU still holds things where it wants to. Best thing to do is get that "TCU-allowed" best consistently. Spare rear wheel are nice so you can use the better street tries daily.
Will that fit over rear PCCBs?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Former Vendor
Yeah rear suspension knuckle is actually the part that's the problem. But there are some wheels that work even in the front on the factory suspension on the TT and TTS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.