New Member and I Just Switched to COBB Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 PM
ICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud of
New Member and I Just Switched to COBB Tune

Hi Everyone,

I'm a brand new member to the 991 Turbo Forum.. After taking a 10 year break from owning/modifying/racing various Sports Cars from California to Florida, I decided to purchase a new 991.1 Turbo in June 2015. I purchased the Porsche as many of you know because it is a beautiful, supremely engineered and quite readily accommodating to performance modifications. Once purchased, I quickly researched tuning opportunities and decided on a tune which would allow me to safely and progressively grow my desire to continually evolve my car into the Ultimate Street Beast if desired..

Initially, I was very satisfied with the Stage 1-2+ performance of my Porsche from my previous tuner, but my desire continued on for even more safe and reliable power enhancement. I then made the decision to upgrade to 68mm Turbos. My initial impression of the performance of these turbos with the accompanying Flash Tune was a little less than desired. I had a very attention to detail Aftermarket Porsche Service Center accomplish a masterful install, however, after a seat of the pants dyno test and subsequent runs at my local 1/8 mile, I felt like there was still more on the table as far as a flash tune that would better enhance the performance of my car. Needless to say I was at the end of the road with my tuners support for my vehicle unless I wanted to run Methanol Injection, which my tuner stated would void their performance warranty.

I had previously reviewed many of the modified cars on this forum as well as other forums in an effort to see what worked safely and what didn't. I had previously spoken to various Tuners and one Tuner in particular took a real interest in what I was trying to accomplish with my car. This tuner was Sambo at By Design. Although I wasn't running Sam's aftermarket tune at that time or any of his other products, he was very helpful and made every effort to assist me in making the absolute most of the performance hardware installed on my vehicle. Our interaction went on for about 6 months off and on, when I finally decided to pull the trigger and switch over to the Cobb Accessport for which Sam is a Pro Tuner. I spoke to Sambo on Thursday and had the Cobb Accessport and associated Tuning Maps in my hands and installed on Friday night.. Not bad considering I live in Florida and Sam is in California... Talk about Customer Service!! Sam not only gave me the attention to detail that I've read many of his clients receive around the world but also held my hand through the seamless migration from one Tuning Platform to the next.

Sam sent me his off the shelf tuning programs which in my case is Stage 4 with accompanying PDK upgrade software.. After I installed these Stage 4 files, I took my car for its maiden voyage on the new tune. I was first amazed at how powerful and smooth my vehicle ran through the power band. But when I got on the power, it shifted like a Formula 1 car with the new PDK tuning software!!! At this point I was completely stoked and ready to go to my local 1/8 mile. Having run my previous Tune just 2 weeks prior with the same 88 degree, DA 1566 and Florida 92% Humidity at my local track, I lined up with renewed confidence that I was going to run a better 1/8mile. In the end, my car ran a best 6.7 @ 108mph. This time was run with 21 inch Wheels/Tires (PZeros), MS109, Stage 4 Race File 100 Octane. My previous time with my other Race File tune netted me a best time of 6.9 @ 103mph. I will post my progress on this forum as I visit various 1/8 and 1/4 mile racetracks in my area. Cool Weather just can't get here quick enough!

I am very excited about the potential growth with my new tune and friendship/tuning relationship I will have with Sam and his crew at By Design. With their assistance I'm plotting a roadmap that will continue to evolve the safe and reliable power enhancement of my Porsche.

Thanks Again All for Providing Great Insight on Your Respective Tuning Platforms.

Last edited by ICX991TT; 09-06-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:08 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Welcome to the club that many of us have already experienced. He is the best, hands down.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing customer service by Sam, and you can't go wrong with Cobb!!!

Manuel

Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Sam gave me solid up front guidance from stock to stage IV..I even had my local Porsche dealer do the work with guidance and input from Sam when needed..a smooth transition from beauty to beast..also COBB AP was invaluable for data logging and fine tuning and tunes from Sam came as frequently as needed and very timely...often in hours or less..how can one put a value to that

Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Doughboy247 is a splendid one to beholdDoughboy247 is a splendid one to beholdDoughboy247 is a splendid one to beholdDoughboy247 is a splendid one to beholdDoughboy247 is a splendid one to beholdDoughboy247 is a splendid one to behold
Great choice on the switch...sam is very knowledgeable!

tuan

Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
OP as most others have already attested to, Sam is one of the best on the forums in providing amazingly quick customer support at all hours of day and night - don't know how the guy sleeps or even manages his family. But he's been most helpful personally with my Stage 4 997 build. I have a build thread up on the 997 turbo section where we have completely rebuilt my Mezger engine to a forged 3.8 along with a host of Stage 4 upgrades. Here's thread link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine-build.html My trust in him has been absolute and even shipped my car to him in CA for him to manage and have his team do the complete project personally. The build is almost complete with dyno tuning to occur over the next few days. Builds of this kind can sometimes be very lengthy and complicated but Sam and his team have quickly pushed through every obstacle.

Congrats on the car and for being a new member to this site. Most everyone is very supportive and can get you answers to questions you might need.

Regards,
Daniel

Old 09-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey bud! Flattered thank you for the nice write up. I've got apologize to you if I was hesitant for a while because I really just wanted to help you make everything work out. In the end though I'm glad that I was able to get you what you need. I'm really excited because we have room to go with it as the car is ready for more. With some of our recipe ingredients even more as that was my base stage 4 map. I'll be sure to take good care of you as we go along and we will have some good fun. I have an awesome team that I work with and we can get things done well and fast! The PDK software has been really awesome and everyone else is loving it too. More features are coming so I'll be sure to get them to you and all the other guys! By the way I didn't get in trouble that night send you a map from the hotel room after the kids went to sleep ha ha.

Thank you everyone and thank you Cobb Tuning Team!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 09-07-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM
ICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud ofICX991TT has much to be proud of
Stage 4 Final Recipe-Kline Headers and IPD Plenum

Hello All, In my continual quest for enhanced performance, I just picked up my car from the local Porsche Dealer. I had them install a set of Kline Inconel Headers and IPD Plenum which were suggested by Sam at By Design as the final components for my now Stage 4 Competition Level setup without any further changes to my existing COBB tuning package. My immediate response to the setup before even driving the car was WOW, I can really here those turbos whining as well as a nice smooth rumble.. The dealership was in a complete buzz at how amazing the car sounded.. Not to mention the lucky techs who test drove the car who couldn't stop fist pounding me with their amazement in how strong the car felt.

Next step was the actual road test, and lets just say silky smooth power, noticeably increased throttle and boost response which ultimately feels like a nice surge of mid range to top end effortless power. All of this was achieved with good ole 93 octane gas and of course the 93 octane MAP. The next step is to fill up with some MS109 and run my 109 MAP.. Hopefully this will further the intensity of these mods. I will be data logging and going to my local 1/8 mile drag strip to see how these performance mods translate into ET and MPH.. I'll be sure to post results..

Thanks Sam and All of you that have blazed this exciting trail I'm currently on!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.