Champion Motorsport turbo upgrade/ AWE issues

Old 12-22-2017, 02:31 PM
cobbcounty is a jewel in the roughcobbcounty is a jewel in the roughcobbcounty is a jewel in the rough
Champion Motorsport turbo upgrade/ AWE issues

Just completed Champion 68mm turbo upgrade. Installed IPD Plenum, High Flow Pipe, Diverter Valves, GIAC software upgrade. Turned this Turbo S into quite an impressive Machine. Only hitch was I had previously installed AWE intercoolers. The intercoolers I'm sure are OK, However their hoses that they supply are pure crap. They will not stay on the turbos. They actually deteriorate from the inside of the hose. Prior to this install, I continually blew the AWE hoses off. After many conversations with AWE they offered no solution. I really don't understand what has happened to that company. So. DO NOT BUY AWE products, especially their intercoolers. I may end up having to spend an additional $3000 for Champion intercoolers just because AWE hoses will not stay on their intercoolers.

Last edited by cobbcounty; 12-22-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
You might reach out to a few vendors here about getting better hoses. No sense buying intercoolers just to get the peripheral part.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:28 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
You are running a lot of boost and it might be more than the hose clamps can handle. A lot of us had to upgrade the clamp on the factory throttle body as it was a recall issue and even blowing off on stock boost...so with 68's you are going to see the weak link somewhere.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:47 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
You may have to glue them. Fairly common with high boost. I know what a ***** that is to work with, if you have to do any maintenance.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about this, like I mentioned on an earlier thread, lots of options out there for our IC’s...but only a few companies offer REAL support!

Manuel

Old 12-23-2017, 09:09 PM
cobbcounty is a jewel in the roughcobbcounty is a jewel in the roughcobbcounty is a jewel in the rough
Thanks very much for the input. Glue was mentioned by the guys that installed. I had many dealings with AWE in the past and spent enough money with them to buy a late model 911.
When Mike left them last year they have taken a nosedive when it comes to customer support. Too bad.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cobbcounty
Just completed Champion 68mm turbo upgrade. Installed IPD Plenum, High Flow Pipe, Diverter Valves, GIAC software upgrade. Turned this Turbo S into quite an impressive Machine. Only hitch was I had previously installed AWE intercoolers. The intercoolers I'm sure are OK, However their hoses that they supply are pure crap. They will not stay on the turbos. They actually deteriorate from the inside of the hose. Prior to this install, I continually blew the AWE hoses off. After many conversations with AWE they offered no solution. I really don't understand what has happened to that company. So. DO NOT BUY AWE products, especially their intercoolers. I may end up having to spend an additional $3000 for Champion intercoolers just because AWE hoses will not stay on their intercoolers.
Champion intercoolers are very well made. Love mine and the Carbon finer pipes coming off them. They scream of quality. And with respect to Champion you never hear stories of
Leaks from intercoolers because they didn't pressure Test them before shipping them to a customer.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Give Tom a shot at it. Perhaps a holiday deal!

Old 12-25-2017, 04:33 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Give Tom a shot at it. Perhaps a holiday deal!
Actually the IPD plenum will NOT fit with Champion intercoolers. They will fit with the ByDesign intercoolers. Champion ICs Have Carbon fiber piping leading out of them that do not fit with the IPD plenum.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Actually the IPD plenum will NOT fit with Champion intercoolers. They will fit with the ByDesign intercoolers. Champion ICs Have Carbon fiber piping leading out of them that do not fit with the IPD plenum.

Hey bud,

Last time I spoke with Tom I think he told me they came up with some IC’s that will work with the IPD plenum...

Manuel

Last edited by Boosted TTS; 12-27-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Yeah they have new silicone set up that works with the IPD. Ours do as well.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future
To the OP unless you could get a new set of hoses or better clamps to hold the boost, I will cut my losses and go with a set of proven coolers like Sam or Champions.

SamboTT@ByDesign gave me a great price on a set of coolers, I was between Champion and Sam coolers but in the end went with Sam, because of price and the the compatibility with the IPD stuff. Hard to beat Sam customer service and prices.

Jose

Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Originally Posted by Boosted TTS
Hey bud,Last time I spoke with Tom I think he told me they came up with some IC’s that will work with the IPD plenum...Manuel
Thanks for the kind words guys! Just to clarify, our intercooler kit WILL work just fine with the IPD plenum. The issue is on the Y-Pipe side....but that's in the past.

Hopefully within the next few days I'll have our first sets of revised carbon pipes that will allow our intercoolers to work with either the IPD Y-Pipe or stock....so you'll have options.

Hopefully first week of January I'll have some good news to report!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by cobbcounty
PM sent.

Manuel

Old 01-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor
Brian@ABP is a splendid one to beholdBrian@ABP is a splendid one to beholdBrian@ABP is a splendid one to beholdBrian@ABP is a splendid one to beholdBrian@ABP is a splendid one to beholdBrian@ABP is a splendid one to behold
Had the same issue with my AWE ICs. Got them off the car and went with Sam's from By Design and never looked back...