New TTS...let the mods begin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
New TTS...let the mods begin

Hey guys,

It has been a while since I’ve been active on 6speed, but I recently got back into a 991 TTS and thought I’d share with the forum. The car is a ’15 TTS that was CPO’d and had about 15,000 miles on it. Picked it up in late May and have been thoroughly enjoying it and have already put about 3,000 miles on it. It’s a great car and other than wishing Porsche offered them with a manual transmission, the car has been a hoot to drive. As is usually the case with me, the car is ideal at first but then begins to feel more and more normal and less exhilarating. Guess that means it’s time to begin the modification process.

After reading up on this forum, it sounded like Sam at By Design was the one to contact in regards to scratching the itch for more power. I sent him an email and he called me back within a couple hours and spent well over an hour on the phone with me discussing options, recommendations, etc. I’m not new to modifying vehicles, but things have changed since the 996TT/997TTS days. What I was after was solid power that would be fun and totally reliable. I’m not looking to break any records, but I’d say I’m after a solid low-6 second 60-130 car that will handle anything I throw at it.

During my conversation with Sam and discussing what my options were, I basically decided I wanted a Stage 4 car and was ready to go from stock to Stage 4 pretty much right away. This obviously required a conversation with the boss, but after a week and a new diamond bracelet, she was on-board. During our call, I decided to go ahead with the Cobb tuning for the ECU and also their PDK software. That was about 10 days ago and I finally got around to installing everything this past Saturday. There were a couple different options with the 93 octane map, so I texted Sam and he was quick to respond and walked me through the tuning install.

Things went smoothly during the install and after about 15 mins I was done. I buttoned the car up and headed out for a test drive. Car runs just as smoothly as it did stock, but there’s obviously a nice bump in power and the redline has been raised to 7,200. I’d say I’m most excited about the PDK software, however. I didn’t really know what to expect, but I described it to Sam as a nice thump in the back of the seat between gears. Shifts are more aggressive during spirited driving, but seem to be about the same while putzing around. The upshift/downshift points in auto mode are elevated from stock and much needed in my opinion. Mind you, I have driven the car all of 20 minutes since doing the tuning, but from that quick test drive I am quite happy with the results.

So that’s the story so far. Need to get hold of Sam today and get Stage 4 parts ordered. Really looking forward to getting this kit installed and enjoying the heck out of it.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Youzzi is an unknown quantity at this point
I contacted Sam also, Awesome guy walked me through everything. Even gave me guidance with my Plenum and Y pipe, Cat Delete Install. Cobb stage 2 with PDK from Sam and the car was like a entire different beast.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
You will love the grin of your face that the stage 4 will provide, can’t go wrong with Sam...amazing customer service!

Manuel

Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Yes, I'm pumped and ready to get the Stage 4 installed. Got an email from Sam yesterday saying all the parts were shipped, so it'll be sooner rather than later. I'm having my local Porsche dealer do the install...Isringhausen Imports in Springfield, IL. They have quite a bit of experience racing the Porsche Cayman, so I felt comfortable having them do the work since they've used plenty of aftermarket parts on their race cars.

And I have to sing Sam's praises again. He's been very generous with his time in answering all my questions and being available to walk me through things. Whether it's a weekday or weekend, he's been there to take my call or answer a text message. Thanks again buddy.

I'll report back once the kit is installed...hopefully will be before the weather turns...

Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers gents!

Adam I can't wait till the first drive and your impressions. Then we will start tuning on her and it will only get better!

Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
awesome! any pics?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Only have a couple pics from my phone, but here are a couple the day I picked it up and then another after I got it back from having the GMG springs installed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3608.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	514520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	514521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	514522  
Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
dream car! Very jealous! Enjoy in good health Adam!

Old 10-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Beauty..that car so rocks the silver...enjoy

Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Congratulations on your purchase Adam. You're in good hands with Sam.

Let me know if you're ever in need for some upgrades in the lightweight wheel departmend

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Thanks fellas. The car is currently at Isringhausen Imports getting Sam's Stage 4 kit installed. Looking forward to getting her back and enjoying the heck out of it...although winter will be here before we know it. Will definitely post my impressions once I've had an opportunity to drive it and get a feel for the car.

On another note, and instead of posting a new thread, I'm in the market for a set of 21" wheels. It appears there's now an option for Michelin tires as opposed to the Pirellis. Here's my concern...

The P-Zero in 21" are available in the following sizes:
255/30-21
325/25-21

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are available in the following sizes:
245/30-21
305/25-21

I've had Michelin tires on any performance car I've ever had and love them and much prefer them over the Pirelli. However, I like the additional width offered in the Pirelli. The Michelin appear to be 3# lighter in the front and 4# lighter in the rear. I'm leaning towards the Michelin, even though I'm giving up width...is that a bad move with the additional power that will be provided via the new turbos, etc? Or do you guys think the narrower Michelin PSS will be just fine? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Thanks fellas. The car is currently at Isringhausen Imports getting Sam's Stage 4 kit installed. Looking forward to getting her back and enjoying the heck out of it...although winter will be here before we know it. Will definitely post my impressions once I've had an opportunity to drive it and get a feel for the car.

On another note, and instead of posting a new thread, I'm in the market for a set of 21" wheels. It appears there's now an option for Michelin tires as opposed to the Pirellis. Here's my concern...

The P-Zero in 21" are available in the following sizes:
255/30-21
325/25-21

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are available in the following sizes:
245/30-21
305/25-21

I've had Michelin tires on any performance car I've ever had and love them and much prefer them over the Pirelli. However, I like the additional width offered in the Pirelli. The Michelin appear to be 3# lighter in the front and 4# lighter in the rear. I'm leaning towards the Michelin, even though I'm giving up width...is that a bad move with the additional power that will be provided via the new turbos, etc? Or do you guys think the narrower Michelin PSS will be just fine? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I have a solution that might be the best of both worlds for you.

We run a fitment that is 20"x9" // 20"x13" and that allows us to use a 335 Michelin Pilot Super Sport in the rear. Here are some photos of that setup:

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM
So I got my car back from Isringhausen early last week with all Sam’s Stage 4 parts installed. I finished up the tuning myself with the 93 octane file Sam provided and voila, all was complete. Very easy and painless and the only thing to do was take it for a test drive.

It has been a few years since I sold my modified 996 Turbo, and I’ve missed that rush that came along with it…hence the desire to pick up another turbo Porsche and modify it. Well I’m pleased to say my hunger for that power has been satisfied and this car is incredibly fun and fast…even on the 93 octane tune. With the new Cobb PDK simulated sequential software, it’s a completely different animal. No more downshifts when the kickdown button on the accelerator pedal is pressed and the shifts are even quicker with a nice little thump in the back of your seat between gears at lower RPMs, but lightning fast and seamlessly smooth shifts when shifting at or near redline. Love the PDK software. It’s nice to be able to pull both paddles and be in neutral if you want to hear the Kline exhaust, plus now the car doesn’t engage the clutch from a standstill when you let off the brake…it will only engage the clutch once the accelerator pedal has been pressed.

So after a call to my local VP fuel distributor, I had a barrel of MS109 delivered and this weekend had the opportunity to fill the car up with it and load in Sam’s “Madman” tune. What was a smooth and fast car on 93 is still a smooth, but incredibly fast to me car! I know barrels of MS109 will be painfully expensive, but man, there’s such a difference that I don’t want to go back to the 93 octane tune. What a thrill! My hands were sweating while driving and I couldn’t be happier with the car now. My hats off to Sam and his team, as they have put together a great kit that really turns this car into an animal. I know there are others with much faster 991 Turbos, but I achieved exactly what I wanted to with this car…to have a fun and fast car that I can drive cross-country with pump gas in the tank or fill it up with some 109 and haul some serious ***. It won’t be a record breaker, but I’m perfectly ok with that and am quite happy.

Will be doing some V-Box testing in the coming weeks if the weather holds out, so I’ll post up my numbers once complete.

Sam, thanks for everything...I’m a very satisfied customer!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:01 PM
QueueCumber is on a distinguished road
Awesome! Can't wait to see some of the results.

I picked up a '14 TTS Cab and am waiting on stage 3 mods from Sam. Considering Stage 4 down the pipe.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:47 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Yes, I'm pumped and ready to get the Stage 4 installed. Got an email from Sam yesterday saying all the parts were shipped, so it'll be sooner rather than later. I'm having my local Porsche dealer do the install...Isringhausen Imports in Springfield, IL. They have quite a bit of experience racing the Porsche Cayman, so I felt comfortable having them do the work since they've used plenty of aftermarket parts on their race cars.

And I have to sing Sam's praises again. He's been very generous with his time in answering all my questions and being available to walk me through things. Whether it's a weekday or weekend, he's been there to take my call or answer a text message. Thanks again buddy.

I'll report back once the kit is installed...hopefully will be before the weather turns...
He's a prince amongst men...can't beat his service or dedication. He's just a genuine fellow. He's got my business for life!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.