Anyone switch from 911 Turbo to GT3? Harry Da Hamster is at an impasse, need advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Anyone switch from 911 Turbo to GT3? Harry Da Hamster is at an impasse, need advise

Morning fellas. Going to warn you in advance, this is a bunch of "thinking out loud" rambling but my main goal is to seek your insight on switching from Turbo to GT3...

Looking for insight from fellow Turbo owners who have switched to a GT3 or owns a GT3 along side their Turbo. I'm selling my 997 Turbo and considering jumping ship to a 991 GT3 (Also considering a 991 Turbo S). I know the differences and compromises of the GT3, no need to school me on that. But here's my only hesitation. Loads of power from the Turbo. And loads of easily accessible power from simple upgrades. Driving a modded Turbo makes me feel like i'm riding a big ol Roman Chariot, that thing was a beast! She's the fastest ride i've owned by far (slow compared to you 991 guys though). When i hit that throttle, it feels like my ***** double in size. My manhood grows with every street kill. I'm pretty humble in person, but i'm on a high horse every time i drive her, and it's a great feeling. So, for those who made the switch, how did you feel about the switch after the fact?

Ohh and long side track story made short, i was planning to buy a few additional bolt-ons from Sam, then i was thinking about going for the full shebang and a pretty complete turbo upgrade, but then i thought to myself, why not spend that $20k (and more) towards another, better, and newer car? And that's what led me to look at 991 Turbo S' and then GT3's.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:36 PM
RandyC54 will become famous soon enoughRandyC54 will become famous soon enough
Do you track your car? What are you hoping to gain by going GT3 vs Turbo?

Old 05-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
I know the technical and emotional differences between both cars. I'm just looking for opinions from those who have switched.

I intend to use this for SCCA AutoX which favors a Mazda Miata and Lotus Exige, but i don't want to drive a Mazda Miata or Lotus Exige.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I ordered a 991 Turbo that's due in soon, about a month away. I guess my point is that I'm going the opposite way, from a NA GTS to a TT. I know the GTS splits the Carrera S and GT3, but revving to 7800 rpm is something the Turbo won't do. A GTS isn't a GT3 but there are some similar elements. And part of me laments the choice.

I'd have to think that if you're willing to compromise on RWD, ground clearance, the lack of DD driving ability in most areas, lack of sunroof, Burmester, PDCC, 5-lug wheels, and overall ride comfort...a GT3 is such an emotional choice, and they are a kick in the pants to drive...if you went with a 6-speed manual it might be tough NOT to grab it??

Old 05-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
You know what a Turbo is. Amazing car.

GT3 is a precision driving machine.
Sort of like being inside a missile ...you just aim it. very engaging and so much fun to drive.

The best part is it is quite reasonably comfortable on the sreet.

BTW PDK in GT3 is different and it is awesome !

Elliot

Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 PM
fasthwks is on a distinguished road
I recently sold my 997.2 turbo s in the fall, bought a 991.1 gt3. I always looked at that car and got excited so I decided to pull the trigger. I will say the gt3 draws alot of attention compared to my s car, sound was amazing with a sharkworks exhaust and it handled like no other car I have owned. The downside for me was driving it, it was great in it's own character, engaging, quick and revved and revved...that was the first thing I soon disliked. You have to ring that car out to enjoy it on the same way I would enjoy the S car. The ride and everything else I liked even though it is alot more race car like. I soon began to enjoy just looking at the car rather than driving it. I sold the car a couple months ago and bought a 991.1 turbo s. I now enjoy driving the car again, smooth, fast, and the interior is nicer than the 997.

My son did not like the gt car because it was rougher than the s was and I always found myself driving the Z06 with him because of that, that's when I decided to make the change because he always liked both cars...the fast cars as he says..lol!

I was lucky to not get killed on the gt3 for 6 months of owning it but looking back I should have bought the 991 s and saved the loss on the gt3, but I was lucky enough to experience that car which was great.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I went from 15 Turbo to 15 GT3. Based on your description, stay with a Turbo. You will lose all that “high horse” feeling. Is what motivates me is the lightness, RWD and oh yeah 9k rpm. There is no substitute.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
I had the 997.2 Turbo S and currently the 991.1 GT3 and 991.1 Turbo S. The GT3 is stock and Turbo S has 68mm turbos meth coolers exhaust yeah it's faster but will never provide the experience like the GT3. If I could only pick one it would be the GT3 without hesitation.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
I was dead set on a GT3 right up until the year before I was ready to buy one. I bought a turbo instead and have never had a regret. The reason was simple: I got a dedicated track car (= race car project) at the same time.

Are you planning to spend a fair bit of time with the car at the racetrack?
(And not enough to want a race car for wheel to wheel racing?)

If your spouse is ok with it, another easy option would be to get a 911 turbo and a fast motorcycle.

Last edited by _ace_; 05-14-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:27 AM
I apologize folks, i was tipsy when i wrote this. My ***** only increase by 25% when she's in boost, not double. Still tipsy and having too much fun by myself. I appreciate everyones comments and i'll be sure to report back the results.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold

Old 05-19-2018, 09:10 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I am going to be controversial here and say that 90% of what makes a GT3 so good at roadholding is the Sport Cup 2 tires.

If you put the Sport Cup 2 tires on a 911 Turbo S the GT3 won't have anything on the Turbo S (other than high revving NA engine sound).

Old 05-19-2018, 10:55 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I am going to be controversial here and say that 90% of what makes a GT3 so good at roadholding is the Sport Cup 2 tires.

If you put the Sport Cup 2 tires on a 911 Turbo S the GT3 won't have anything on the Turbo S (other than high revving NA engine sound).
Interesting that you mention this. Recently I put the N1 spec Cup2's on my 991.1 GT3. Def an improvement over the N0's. I also put N0 spec Cup2's on my Turbo S (previously was running stock PZeros or mismatch with r888 rears for airstrip events) to see how much the Cup2's would improve the car. I don't have many miles on the Turbo S with the Cup2's so I can't do a full assessment but regardless I'm not sure tires can transform the Turbo S enough to get it there.

It's not just the engine/sound...it's everything...the pdk, weight reduction, suspension, precision, etc makes the engagement next level. Go drive mclaren, ferrari, lambo, etc and you get into a GT3 and you think it's right up there with cars costing twice as much.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Interesting that you mention this. Recently I put the N1 spec Cup2's on my 991.1 GT3. Def an improvement over the N0's. I also put N0 spec Cup2's on my Turbo S (previously was running stock PZeros or mismatch with r888 rears for airstrip events) to see how much the Cup2's would improve the car. I don't have many miles on the Turbo S with the Cup2's so I can't do a full assessment but regardless I'm not sure tires can transform the Turbo S enough to get it there.

It's not just the engine/sound...it's everything...the pdk, weight reduction, suspension, precision, etc makes the engagement next level. Go drive mclaren, ferrari, lambo, etc and you get into a GT3 and you think it's right up there with cars costing twice as much.
Not gonna lie, Adam. I just watched your McLaren 720S kill on Youtube and your 991 Turbo S is pretty much the only thing that makes me second guess the GT3...

Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

Might also need significant suspension changes and weight reduction. Optionally also increased downforce and cooling for heavy track use.

That said, a stock TT/TTS on identical tires is generally going to be faster than a GT3 on the street, the drag strip, and at the track too. It’s closer to the GT3RS lap times on the circuit and of those the faster car (3RS/TTS) seems to depend on what the track favors (better power and grip vs better weight and downforce) but it goes both ways. A tuned TT/TTS with proper cooling is significantly faster than the 3RS. Basically after a lot of money is invested a TT/TTS would become an AWD version of the real top 911, the GT2RS.

I’d like to see a lightweight caged track built TT/TTS race car. Hoosiers alone would be a lot of fun. There are a few guys with heavy track use turbos on here doing that type of thing if I remember correctly. Consumable costs on our cars are high though so most folks seem to just go with either a stock GT3/3RS or step up to a Cup or other race car.

The GT3’s popularity with enthusiasts seems to be more about overall value as a great trackday car (and for that reason a rather visceral 911 variant) rather than anything else. The public likes them for a different reason - they could care less which 911 is actually faster since all are fast. They just want the “look at me!” effect, so loud fast cars with big wings make cooler Instagram photos and selfies...

Last edited by _ace_; 05-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.