Top Speed Run- What to Know

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:48 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Top Speed Run- What to Know

Doing a top speed run event here in Utah next weekend.
In preparation I picked up some new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S- they seem like a big improvement over the stock Perellis). Had my dealer go over my car to make sure everything is in working order. Race requires a firesuit and helmet which I've already got. What else should I know / do for this event? Best car settings, tire pressures, driving tips, stuff to watch out for, etc. Thanks in advance.

Cam

EDIT: Video in post # 18

Last edited by UTPorsche; 06-27-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:35 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Don't use launch control unless the track is prepped. If it's a normal Airfield type of event you'll just spin your tires and short shift into 3rd before you know it. However I did find it helpful to manually shift into third before the red line, because the Cobb tune would spin the tires after that shift. Also be sure that you have an actual automobile helmet and not a motorcycle helmet. Depending on the event they may or may not care, but there is a difference and if they do care you'll be SOL with the motorcycle helmet.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:50 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UTPorsche
Doing a top speed run event here in Utah next weekend.
In preparation I picked up some new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S- they seem like a big improvement over the stock Perellis). Had my dealer go over my car to make sure everything is in working order. Race requires a firesuit and helmet which I've already got. What else should I know / do for this event? Best car settings, tire pressures, driving tips, stuff to watch out for, etc. Thanks in advance.

Cam
Sounds cool. How long / distance will you be accelerating?

1/2 mile prep waaayyyy different than mile or 1.5 miles.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:38 AM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I know. I've been totally MIA.

Thanks for the advice! When you say spoilers down... front one goes down. Back one up or actually down

Cam

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Caaaaaaam!

Stock tire pressures, log, Sport+ with spoilers down. HAVE FUN!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Roger that!
This is a street event and the road takes a turn before a straight section so launch control would be a bad idea.

Originally Posted by shifter_
Don't use launch control unless the track is prepped. If it's a normal Airfield type of event you'll just spin your tires and short shift into 3rd before you know it. However I did find it helpful to manually shift into third before the red line, because the Cobb tune would spin the tires after that shift. Also be sure that you have an actual automobile helmet and not a motorcycle helmet. Depending on the event they may or may not care, but there is a difference and if they do care you'll be SOL with the motorcycle helmet.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 AM
It's on a 3 mile stretch of road- 2 miles to floor it and then 1 to slow it down. The first mile has a turn that you can come out of at around 100mph and then that feeds into 1 mile of straight road. It seems like cars should be able to knock on 200mph in the event.

Originally Posted by longboarder
Sounds cool. How long / distance will you be accelerating?

1/2 mile prep waaayyyy different than mile or 1.5 miles.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:10 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UTPorsche
It's on a 3 mile stretch of road- 2 miles to floor it and then 1 to slow it down. The first mile has a turn that you can come out of at around 100mph and then that feeds into 1 mile of straight road. It seems like cars should be able to knock on 200mph in the event.
That sounds awesome!

Not sure of your mods but sustained WOT beyond a half mile with upgraded turbo / meth car is putting a lot of load on the motor (rods) and something i wouldn't do unless I dialed it down some first.

Anyway we would love to see pls vid for us!

Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IMI A
You won't hit VMAX in sport + so when in 6th gear switch to sport for max top speed.

Sport + locks out 7th gear.
That's because 7th gear is only designed for better gas mileage when cruising. Top speed is achieved in 6th gear. 7th gear does not have enough torque to accelerate against the wind resistance.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed and good luck!

Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by IMI A
This is wrong. A higher top speed achieved in sport not sport plus. Even Porsche confirm this
Link?

Regardless, it's a moot point for the OP as he will nowhere near reach top speed in 1 mile even starting at 100mph.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:08 AM
No upgraded turbos or meth- just a stage 3 car.
I will post some video shortly!

Originally Posted by longboarder
That sounds awesome!

Not sure of your mods but sustained WOT beyond a half mile with upgraded turbo / meth car is putting a lot of load on the motor (rods) and something i wouldn't do unless I dialed it down some first.

Anyway we would love to see pls vid for us!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:10 AM
Correct- 6th gear tops out at over 200mph and my car was nowhere near this. I did run the car in both Sport and Sport Plus modes but Sport mode seemed to give me the highest speed.

Originally Posted by shifter_
Link?

Regardless, it's a moot point for the OP as he will nowhere near reach top speed in 1 mile even starting at 100mph.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 AM
Okay, here's a quick video cut of my runs in the "Limitless" event along with a few observations:

Run 1 : Sport Mode. The first mile of the track is two turns. Not much incentive to go fast there since it's not a timed race. I'm not a great driver and I felt uncomfortable coming out of the second turn (really didn't help that buses transporting spectators to the event had dragged mud and rocks onto the road which you can see at 0:49). I hit the straight section of the road at 110mph (0:51). Car's acceleration felt great. Stability was solid and there was minimal wind. Car's odometer shows 184mph as I pass the police truck doing the radar. Official radar time was 178mph (everyone driving agreed that the radar clocked all the cars 5-7mph too slow).

Run 2 (1:37) : Sport Plus Mode. I hit the straight section of the road at 114mph (2:29). 10mph headwind had kicked up at this point. I tried driving on the left hand lane as it had felt smoother on our parade lap. Ultimately I was clocked at 177mph.

Run 3 (3:14) : Sport Plus Mode: I hit the straight section of the road at 119mph (4:05). Same headwind with a bit of a crosswind. Car didn't feel quite as stable as the first two runs. Ended up getting clocked at 176. Although it wasn't a big difference overall, I was a little frustrated to be coming into the straight away at slightly higher speeds but have a lower speed at the end. Heat might have accounted for some of that (both from the runs and the fact that it was hot out).

Run 4 (4:51) : Sport Plus Mode. On this run I came out of the corner into the straight section at 128mph (5:39). There was a 20mph headwind by then but I still felt like this had the makings of my best run. At 5:55 5th gear tops out. The car never shifted into 6th. In the heat of the moment I knew I wasn't going any faster but didn't have the presence of mind to try and manually shift or anything (if anyone has any guesses about why the car got stuck I'd be interested to hear them - my wife thinks it was Heaven saving me from a crash ). I got clocked at 167mph on this run.

Unfortunately that's where I called it quits (I could have kept going one more round). I hated that I went out on a crappy run but overall I'd had fun and the car was a blast to drive. And it wasn't like I'd done badly-

The first run had about 40 cars and I was 4th fastest overall (beaten by a 1000HP Ford GT, a McLaren 720S and a Lamborghini Huracan). There were many other Turbo & Turbo S cars (991.1 and 991.2s), GT3s, a couple 918's there too. Should have called it quits after one run But that wasn't really an option as this event was, in large part, for charity. Drivers paid double their top speeds of each run to the Utah division of Make-A-Wish. Hopefully we can do this again soon. And maybe find a longer "track."

Last edited by UTPorsche; 06-26-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
at 200mph our speedo's are off by about 5-6mph so if your were reading 184 then the 178 radar was probably close to the correct speed.

Looks like alot of fun theres nothing like holding the go pedal down a long time to wake you up.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 AM
You sure it was a mile from the last turn to the gun? 178 seems very disappointing. I did 190.2 with a Stage 2 car in the standing mile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Top Speed Run- What to Know