991TTS - Keyless Entry Issue Won't Go Away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
991TTS - Keyless Entry Issue Won't Go Away

First, let me say I bought this car as a CPO and if it was up to me, I would never use this poorly designed option. However, I want it corrected because one day I will get rid of the car, so let's fix it while in warranty. My issue pops up intermittently so they are having trouble finding the root cause. I took the car for a long ride this past weekend (200-mile roundtrip) and of course, the issue popped up when I was 100 miles from home. I handed the key to a valet to park the car up in front of a restaurant. When I returned, the valet had to take the fake key out of the dash (or whatever that stupid thing is called) and use the real key. He noted there was some error message and the car wouldn't start. This key fob unrecognized issue pops up once every two weeks (I only drive the car for short rides on weekends) and it is really frustrating me. I went to the dealership once and they said "someone put the wrong battery in the key fob), so I was fine and left. Two weeks later, issue recurs. So, I take it back and they order me a new key and have it reprogrammed. I leave and then this happens again. Poorly designed, problematic system. Has anybody had similar issues?

Old 07-02-2018, 12:28 PM
dkphelps is an unknown quantity at this point
I can understand your frustration, I went thru a simular situation myself. My problems started after i had my front windshield replaced due to rock chips. I really didn't think about it at the time but my keyless entry system stoped working right after that. The range on the system when opening the doors was very limited and the key needed to be held right on the door itself before it would open. Also when starting the car sometimes I would get the error message that i need to move the key closer, so i would take it out of my pocket and hold it right next to the dash and then it would start..After dealing with this for a few weeks and talking with a few people, I figured out how this system worked. it seems that there is an antenna in the windshield that hooks up to this system and provides the extended range.So realizing that the windshield was just replaced a few weeks ago, I brought it back to the shop that did the replacement. They found that a wire had been left unconnected and once they connected it everything was working fine.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:37 AM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
It's not a poorly designed, problematic system...I have had several Porsches and none of them have had the issue.

Most cars today use the same system, with zero issue.

I have had it it at least 7-8 cars and trucks over the past few years...and currently have it on 4 of my cars today, with no issue whatsoever.

It's an issue with YOUR car in particular...and likely it's not the FOB, but more likely, the receiver or the module, in the vehicle. Since they have already replaced the key, and that has not resolved the issue, I'd suggest that you return the vehicle for repair and have them go at it. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix by replacing the defective part in the car itself.

Most cars today use this technology and it's very reliable...and where it's part of any car, it's not even an option in them. Had you bought this car new, it would have come with it.

The "fake" key in the dash is not chipped and has nothing to do with the system, other than being something you turn rather than push. The reason you have to pull that one and use the actual key from time to time, is because the long range, in-car RFID reader is malfunctioning and you have to get the key close enough to the passive (fallback) RFID receiver for it to read your FOB.

There are two different systems in the car for RFID, one for short proximity (1-2 cm's), located at the key itself, and the other, which resides elsewhere and works on a much larger proximity (~40-80 cms), which is the one that in your case, has an issue.

It's more than likely the long range RFID reader or one of it's components that's causing the issue.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
It's not a poorly designed, problematic system...I have had several Porsches and none of them have had the issue.

Most cars today use the same system, with zero issue.

I have had it it at least 7-8 cars and trucks over the past few years...and currently have it on 4 of my cars today, with no issue whatsoever.

It's an issue with YOUR car in particular...and likely it's not the FOB, but more likely, the receiver or the module, in the vehicle. Since they have already replaced the key, and that has not resolved the issue, I'd suggest that you return the vehicle for repair and have them go at it. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix by replacing the defective part in the car itself.

Most cars today use this technology and it's very reliable...and where it's part of any car, it's not even an option in them. Had you bought this car new, it would have come with it.

The "fake" key in the dash is not chipped and has nothing to do with the system, other than being something you turn rather than push. The reason you have to pull that one and use the actual key from time to time, is because the long range, in-car RFID reader is malfunctioning and you have to get the key close enough to the passive (fallback) RFID receiver for it to read your FOB.

There are two different systems in the car for RFID, one for short proximity (1-2 cm's), located at the key itself, and the other, which resides elsewhere and works on a much larger proximity (~40-80 cms), which is the one that in your case, has an issue.

It's more than likely the long range RFID reader or one of it's components that's causing the issue.
Thank you for the detailed response, however, in my opinion, the plastic key in the ignition is a poor, cheap-looking design and this opinion has been supported by others who have been in my car. Yes, maybe it is my car in this instance, but from doing a search it seems other Porsche customers feel the same way about the design. Also, considering I bought this car in February as a CPO and I have had issues with the key (3 times now) and I have to bring it to the dealership again, I think if it was an easy fix, it would be fixed.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 07-03-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:25 AM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
The "plastic key in the ignition" has nothing to do with the system operating, as I had explained. Porsche simply used this instead of push to start, but in either case, one or the other has no bearing on the operation of the system.

You can always post up and ask the question, as you have, but it's most likely that very few have had the issue that you have.

As far as design and aesthetics go, that is of course, opinion based, but again, has nothing to do with functionality as you have experienced.

At this point, the car needs to go back to dealer to locate the source of the issue...and if it was so widespread, as you believe, it would have been easy to nail down in the 1st go 'round.

As I posted above, they can eliminate the key as the suspect and go to the next step, which should not be difficult to diagnose. Once they have successfully dealt with the solution, it will likely not happen again. The system is fairly robust, but like any other car, can experience a faulty part from time to time. It's just not the norm

It should have already posted a code to the system that they can pull.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
The "plastic key in the ignition" has nothing to do with the system operating, as I had explained. Porsche simply used this instead of push to start, but in either case, one or the other has no bearing on the operation of the system.

You can always post up and ask the question, as you have, but it's most likely that very few have had the issue that you have.

As far as design and aesthetics go, that is of course, opinion based, but again, has nothing to do with functionality as you have experienced.

At this point, the car needs to go back to dealer to locate the source of the issue...and if it was so widespread, as you believe, it would have been easy to nail down in the 1st go 'round.
Your original explanation of how the system works is perfect. I actually like the turn key in the dash as opposed to the wife’s car with a button. It’s more manly.

As I posted above, they can eliminate the key as the suspect and go to the next step, which should not be difficult to diagnose. Once they have successfully dealt with the solution, it will likely not happen again. The system is fairly robust, but like any other car, can experience a faulty part from time to time. It's just not the norm

It should have already posted a code to the system that they can pull.
Your explanation of how the system functions is informative and perfect. The only issue I have ever had was when I first got the car. I stopped for gas. Filled it up, got back in, turned the fake key-nada. I said to me self wtf. Duhhh. After a few seconds of cursing I realized
I had the stop/ start activated. Turned it off, turned the fake key off and then on with foot on brake and she started right up. She is a wonderfully designed vehicle with decades of history, mostly evolution vs revolution.
Oh, and I prefer the fake key to a push button, it’s more manly

Last edited by Pmorritt; 07-03-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:19 PM
That's what Porsche says as well about the key...

Old 07-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Your explanation of how the system functions is informative and perfect. The only issue I have ever had was when I first got the car. I stopped for gas. Filled it up, got back in, turned the fake key-nada. I said to me self wtf. Duhhh. After a few seconds of cursing I realized
I had the stop/ start activated. Turned it off, turned the fake key off and then on with foot on brake and she started right up. She is a wonderfully designed vehicle with decades of history, mostly evolution vs revolution.
Oh, and I prefer the fake key to a push button, it’s more manly
I never use the stop/start. I also removed the fake key and just use the regular key in the ignition old school. I will have it fixed of course, but I think I still may stick with the key in the dash method. Considering it's my 3rd 911, I love the car, but I don't love the keyless entry. To each their own.