6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo-172/)
-   -   TSM Dyno Results - 1286whp / 978tq (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-turbo/423698-tsm-dyno-results-1286whp-978tq.html)

Cicio@TSM 08-22-2018 02:46 PM

TSM Dyno Results - 1286whp / 978tq

Figured I would share some info on our dyno results from our half mile car.

We did change the turbos to give us the ability to run a little more power up top without killing the car with torque down low. We did however make sure to pull some tricks out of the bag so that we didn't sacrifice any spool whatsoever. As you can see we want the power to come in very very linearly so we don't rail the boost or timing down low but rather bleed it in to make the car smooth fast instead of violent fast. This is for sure more of a half mile strategy than 1/4 mile or even 60-130, but that was our goal.

I have attached the graph as well as an overlay from the dyno before the 193mph pass at Pikes Peak. Now what I will also share is that this wasn't near the power we actually had to run to run the world record of 201.97mph. I turned the boost down a good bit off the trailer just to shake the car down and surprisingly even with much less than perfect conditions it went 199mph first pass. So I only added very, very little back in to get us the 201, which is what my goal was. In the coming events we will most certainly grab some of that power we left on the table in order to distance ourselves even further from the competition, however for now I'm not going to get greedy about it in an effort try to help everything (mostly the stock gears) live a long life.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about our strategy, tuning or anything else. If I don't feel I can publicly answer something I'll very openly say that I can't, but I love sharing knowledge with the community rather than smoke and mirrors sales tactics like some others I have seen in this industry.

Thanks for the continued support!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...e4abe4b125.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...2109f681dd.jpg

3llooi 08-22-2018 03:50 PM

First congrats and good job!

Happy to see you guys doing well and having a reliable car

I've few questions if you don't mind

1. With worked out heads, can you do more than 7500k rpm? Do you plan on selling parts individually of that build?

2. Realistically speaking, I know the PDK now is the weak link, but how much you estimate the engiee can make? Whp and wtq?

3. How similar those 9A1 in a 991 versus 997.2? Meaning can the build be done on a 997.2? Since it's a lighter car but probably 991 is a little better for half mile runs

4. Do yiu support E85? This is something missing from the 9A1 line up so far

5. Why 4.0 not 3.8 or even 4.2 liter?

Thanks again and I wish you the very best.

Cicio@TSM 08-22-2018 04:06 PM

Thank you sir!

All great questions, let me share my views.

1. With worked out heads, can you do more than 7500k rpm? Do you plan on selling parts individually of that build?

We shift the car higher on the track and yes it has the capability to go much higher than 7500. I stop the power at 7500rpm on the dyno simply because based on the curve I know what it's going to do for the next xxxx RPM and I don't need my competitors knowing what we spin the car to to make it fast.

2. Realistically speaking, I know the PDK now is the weak link, but how much you estimate the engiee can make? Whp and wtq?

This is a hard question to answer, given the components we used on the build and tech we used for the head and head gasket I would estimate and be comfortable to about 1500whp without issue. However that is assuming the factory crank will stay happy at those power levels as well. Always fun being the leader on things which by default ensures finding the limits of components falls on you LOL!!

3. How similar those 9A1 in a 991 versus 997.2? Meaning can the build be done on a 997.2? Since it's a lighter car but probably 991 is a little better for half mile runs

For sure similar enough to be able to do a similar build on! I have not had a 997.2 apart and before my eyes but having build .1 997 and 991 I'm confident in saying it would be no issue to build.

This car is running ethanol yes sir!

I would honestly go less displacement before I would go more and I would certainly never do a stroker! These things already spool a 1500hp turbo crazy fast with the right .ar combination I can't imagine trying to throw more exhaust pressure into the turbine housing. The reason we did a 4.0 (which is probably more like a 3.9) is simply because the sleeve technology and piston design worked out best that way. I would very easily stay with a 3.8 but the block wouldn't be quite as strong. Although, you would give up so little it wouldn't matter at this power level. If someone for sure wanted a 3.8 I would do it with full confidence. I however would not want to go any bigger than a 4.0 unless it was a much much bigger turbo setup than this that was being driven on the street.

If you have any other questions based on my answers feel free to ask! Thanks for the post!

'

Originally Posted by 3llooi (Post 4734770)
First congrats and good job!

Happy to see you guys doing well and having a reliable car

I've few questions if you don't mind

Thanks again and I wish you the very best.

3llooi 08-22-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cicio@TSM (Post 4734773)
Thank you sir!

All great questions, let me share my views.

We shift the car higher on the track and yes it has the capability to go much higher than 7500. I stop the power at 7500rpm on the dyno simply because based on the curve I know what it's going to do for the next xxxx RPM and I don't need my competitors knowing what we spin the car to to make it fast.

This is a hard question to answer, given the components we used on the build and tech we used for the head and head gasket I would estimate and be comfortable to about 1500whp without issue. However that is assuming the factory crank will stay happy at those power levels as well. Always fun being the leader on things which by default ensures finding the limits of components falls on you LOL!!

For sure similar enough to be able to do a similar build on! I have not had a 997.2 apart and before my eyes but having build .1 997 and 991 I'm confident in saying it would be no issue to build.

This car is running ethanol yes sir!

I would honestly go less displacement before I would go more and I would certainly never do a stroker! These things already spool a 1500hp turbo crazy fast with the right .ar combination I can't imagine trying to throw more exhaust pressure into the turbine housing. The reason we did a 4.0 (which is probably more like a 3.9) is simply because the sleeve technology and piston design worked out best that way. I would very easily stay with a 3.8 but the block wouldn't be quite as strong. Although, you would give up so little it wouldn't matter at this power level. If someone for sure wanted a 3.8 I would do it with full confidence. I however would not want to go any bigger than a 4.0 unless it was a much much bigger turbo setup than this that was being driven on the street.

If you have any other questions based on my answers feel free to ask! Thanks for the post!

'

Thanks for answering my questions and sorry if they were a bit too much. You made the invite hahahaha

I like tour answers and thanks for spending the time to post it sir.

Your build is #proven and I'm sure many of us would be excited to plan the next upgrades. ;)

Cicio@TSM 08-22-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 3llooi (Post 4734776)
Thanks for answering my questions and sorry if they were a bit too much. You made the invite hahahaha

I like tour answers and thanks for spending the time to post it sir.

Your build is #proven and I'm sure many of us would be excited to plan the next upgrades. ;)

Not even close to too much sir! I love the inquisitive customer and am happy to explain myself.

Thanks for the kind words! We will keep on pushing

Boosted TTS 08-22-2018 05:45 PM

Way to go, crazy numbers. I know that Jeff was waiting to get his beast back up and running, that car has come a long way. Hope to see you guys at our event in October.

Manuel

Bobbyfali 08-23-2018 12:52 AM

Big congrats! Another U.S. company taking the 991 platform to another level and skipping a couple in the process!

Killer build from a proven company! Have heard nothing, but good things about this company.

Cicio@TSM 08-23-2018 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted TTS (Post 4734795)
Way to go, crazy numbers. I know that Jeff was waiting to get his beast back up and running, that car has come a long way. Hope to see you guys at our event in October.

Manuel

which event is that brother?

Cicio@TSM 08-23-2018 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbyfali (Post 4734858)
Big congrats! Another U.S. company taking the 991 platform to another level and skipping a couple in the process!

Killer build from a proven company! Have heard nothing, but good things about this company.

Thank you very much for the kind words! We hope to keep pushing to stay out front! It’s gonna be a fun couple years for this platform I think.

Big Swole 08-23-2018 01:03 PM

Glad to know y'all are in my back yard, so to speak.

Might be a future customer.

Cicio@TSM 08-23-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole (Post 4734958)
Glad to know y'all are in my back yard, so to speak.

Might be a future customer.

Stop by anytime! Would love to show you what we have going on.

Big Swole 08-23-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cicio@TSM (Post 4734959)
Stop by anytime! Would love to show you what we have going on.

Will do Sir..Thank you.

Mark @ AIM Performance 08-24-2018 07:42 AM

i'm sure everyone is curious how did you manage an improvement in spool when going up a turbo size or even 2 sizes?

Cicio@TSM 08-24-2018 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by prodigymb (Post 4735073)
i'm sure everyone is curious how did you manage an improvement in spool when going up a turbo size or even 2 sizes?

Great question!

We have lots of experience with turbine combinations and wheel technology from the years of GT-R development. We just spilled some of that over into the Porsche and it worked perfectly.

To further the achievement we also lowered drive pressure with the increased spool, making the engine even happier :)

Divexxtreme 08-24-2018 09:27 AM

Great stuff, Cicio! Outstanding job!