anyone switch to 488 or 720s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
I genuinely respect YOUR results, however, I’ve owned 2 Mclarens, as well as a modded Turbo S... I passed on a Ferrari strictly based on performance comparatives between Mclaren and the competition... there isn’t any. I race all my cars, I’m not reciting some YouTube channel car(s).

Real world experience is what I speak of, and Ferrari isn’t even in the same playing field as Macs. I too live in Texas and I have raced everything in my stable from 1k hp C7 Corvette to my last Mclaren I had which I can back up MY data points too. Not trying to pick a fight with you, however don’t let YOUR favorite car come in between the superior performing car and yours.
I am not even sure what you are attempting to say here. What I said in my first post about my experience with my 488 Spider is that it's a much better car than the 991tts based on my ownership of both cars. I also said the McLaren is faster than the Ferrari but I don't care for it's looks. As to real world experience with Ferrari, it looks like you don't have any so who are you to comment on the Ferrari? I have owned two of them and they are both superior to the 991tts. I did enjoy my tts and I might get a 992 tts when they come out. Why don't we drop this 720s vs 488 discussion? It's not interesting to me as I have the car I want and the OP asked about both. You tell him about your 720s and I can tell him about my 488.

Last edited by wrs; 05-18-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wrs
I am not even sure what you are attempting to say here. What I said in my first post about my experience with my 488 Spider is that it's a much better car than the 991tts based on my ownership of both cars. I also said the McLaren is faster than the Ferrari but I don't care for it's looks. As to real world experience with Ferrari, it looks like you don't have any so who are you to comment on the Ferrari? I have owned two of them and they are both superior to the 991tts. I did enjoy my tts and I might get a 992 tts when they come out. Why don't we drop this 720s vs 488 discussion? It's not interesting to me as I have the car I want and the OP asked about both. You tell him about your 720s and I can tell him about my 488.
Sounds like a plan. I’ll stick with my faster, better looking, and superior Mclarens. Thanks for playing. Enjoy that prancing horse.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I did. I traded my 2014 Turbo for a low mile 2018 720S performance in February. After 5 years I needed a change and decided not to wait for a 992 Turbo S since it didn’t seem like it would be much of a difference. The McLaren is a big difference. The car that is $100k off is probably a low VIN launch car sold in 2017 loaded with every option which can add up like a P-car. It would be almost two years now with typical depreciation. I think the Turbo dropped more than that but leveled out every year. Who knows what the 720 will do. Certified cars are only dealer inspected. They don’t come with an extra year of warranty but it can be bought if the car isn’t modded.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Steinhart is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
I did. I traded my 2014 Turbo for a low mile 2018 720S performance in February. After 5 years I needed a change and decided not to wait for a 992 Turbo S since it didn’t seem like it would be much of a difference. The McLaren is a big difference. The car that is $100k off is probably a low VIN launch car sold in 2017 loaded with every option which can add up like a P-car. It would be almost two years now with typical depreciation. I think the Turbo dropped more than that but leveled out every year. Who knows what the 720 will do. Certified cars are only dealer inspected. They don’t come with an extra year of warranty but it can be bought if the car isn’t modded.
So what is your impression of the 720s vs 991.1 turbo?

Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Forums say low VINs are under 1000 or under 1500. Some early cars had problems that never got sorted out properly or the lower values just reflected higher miles on an older car. Check out mclaren life.com for a more active discussion.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Where is Arnie? He has a 488 Spider and he had a 488 prior to that. I have a 488 Spider and I can tell you it's a lot better than the 991tts was. It's not as fast off the line only because it doesn't have the AWD but it leaves the 991tts in the dust after the first 1000 feet or so. I ran a lot of quarter miles out on my county road and I took the Ferrari out there last fall to test it. It ran 10.91 @ 134 on 93 vs my Stage 4 991tts which ran 10.4@131 on 93 under the same conditions. The 60ft was 1.88s on the Ferrari and for the 991tts it was 1.56s so there is .3s right there in ET. I think the 488 would do better if I used the ESC off setting on the manettino, I had it on RACE. The 0-60 was only 3.2s with a 1ft rollout so clearly the car was traction limited off the line but it's very much stronger than the Porsche which can be seen in the trap speed. In addition, I could tell that the 488 was faster because I was able to hit 150 before needing to brake safely which was not the case for the Porsche.

Something was wrong with your 991TTS.... 131 on stage 4????? Hell my 997.2TTS with ONLY a Europipe exhaust and the Off the Shelf (OTS) stg. 2 93 pump gas tune ran a trap of 132.6. Hell, there are folks with STOCK 991.2TTS's running 10.3-10.4 at 129-130.

So, I'd say the TTS vs 488 comparison here isn't correct. (straight line performance wise)

Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Something was wrong with your 991TTS.... 131 on stage 4????? Hell my 997.2TTS with ONLY a Europipe exhaust and the Off the Shelf (OTS) stg. 2 93 pump gas tune ran a trap of 132.6. Hell, there are folks with STOCK 991.2TTS's running 10.3-10.4 at 129-130.

So, I'd say the TTS vs 488 comparison here isn't correct. (straight line performance wise)
Here in Texas these cars, any cars here don’t mph like they do in other parts of the country. My 997 TTS ran 10.60’s at Texas Motorplex but only trapped 129mph on a good day. My wife usually trapped 130mph in that car with a bit slower et.

My Mclarens trapped best 138mph @ 10.50 same track roughly same time of year... other similar Macs were trapping 140plus in other parts of the country. All my dragy times were/are slower than other comparable cars, with similar mods. Bottom line... our air in Texas with the exception of Baytown usually is bottom of the barrel on trap and et’s.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Here in Texas these cars, any cars here don’t mph like they do in other parts of the country. My 997 TTS ran 10.60’s at Texas Motorplex but only trapped 129mph on a good day. My wife usually trapped 130mph in that car with a bit slower et.

My Mclarens trapped best 138mph @ 10.50 same track roughly same time of year... other similar Macs were trapping 140plus in other parts of the country. All my dragy times were/are slower than other comparable cars, with similar mods. Bottom line... our air in Texas with the exception of Baytown usually is bottom of the barrel on trap and et’s.

I'm familiar with bad air. DA is the DA though. I just figure for a Stage 4 car, 131 still seems very low for those mods.

To each his own though. Glad you like your Fcar and Mcars.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Big Swole
I'm familiar with bad air. DA is the DA though. I just figure for a Stage 4 car, 131 still seems very low for those mods.

To each his own though. Glad you like your Fcar and Mcars.
I wasn’t speaking to his mods or his cars... I was only giving an example of what my cars run here in central Texas. I actually just bought a new GT3... now that’s a different car for me. Not used to N/A cars. Haha!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 AM
All good brother! Enjoy that GT3!! NA is definitely different.
I'm a Forced Induction guy.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:16 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I have been thinking about making the switch for a 488 as the McLaren dealer here is a mess and I have no trust in them from a prior contact. If I do keep the TTS then I would buy a 458, 599 but would love a 650 or 570 McLaren if there was a different factory dealer in my area.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
I wasn’t speaking to his mods or his cars... I was only giving an example of what my cars run here in central Texas. I actually just bought a new GT3... now that’s a different car for me. Not used to N/A cars. Haha!
Hey congrats buddy! I personally think there's nothing better than the 991 GT3 or touring for fun street driving with the occasional track day. Having the most HP is overrated tbh.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by longboarder
Hey congrats buddy! I personally think there's nothing better than the 991 GT3 or touring for fun street driving with the occasional track day. Having the most HP is overrated tbh.
Hey Adam, thanks man! Yeah, I chased numbers, chased friends cars, and chased unrealistic goals for all my cars... this car is perfect with a newly installed BBI center section bypass, and a shiny new set of R101LW’s and now it’s the perfect canyon carver or just a cruiser. Loving it so far... good to hear from you, hope all it well.

My my apologies to the op for highjacking this thread.
My vote is STILL go with the 720S!!! 😬