anyone go from tts to 720s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 8SECDD
I'll race his 720s.
Originally Posted by Boosted TTS
Me too, I have several of them under my belt

Manuel

Stock for Stock I'm sure is what he is referring to. I'd much rather have a modded TTS myself.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Big Swole

Stock for Stock I'm sure is what he is referring to. I'd much rather have a modded TTS myself.
Obviously you’ve never driven a 720S. Smooth as silk and trust me, they’re fast!

Old 07-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Obviously you’ve never driven a 720S. Smooth as silk and trust me, they’re fast!

No, I've not, but I meant my comment in terms of looks and attention. I've never been a fan of the look of McLarens. Too "hey look at me" for my taste.
However, I am a performance / power junky. So I know I'd like that part.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:12 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I like the Mclarens. All of them except the 12c. Great looking cars. I have only driven the 570s. After consideration and concern about long term ownership and maintaining them I decided to stay with the 911. I am on my 5th Porsche ( 4 911s and a Cayman)and they have been very reliable. I wish McLaren gave better warranties on their used cars. I just did not feel comfortable being forced to spend $500 a month on a warranty for as long as I was going to own the car.

This was my first TTS and I do love it.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 07-25-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM
sniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
But this thread isn’t about a gt2RS vs the 720S. It’s about the tts. I gave the GT2RS a nod on its track worthiness above. There is nothing “slight” about the performance difference between a stock tts and stock 720S. I own both cars, do you? Both great cars but have you even driven a 720S? The gt2RS is a phenomenal car but it isn’t the fastest on the planet. If you’re using Nurburingring times, the SVJ has that title. Also it should be noted that McLaren and Ferrari do not have factory sponsored efforts at the Nurburingring.
Sorry but i just don't see the 720S being in another league. Mclaren are a marvel of engineering and tech, but a car with such a huge compromise in term of being a "car" (narrow cockpit, questionable reliability and so on) has to be absolutely insane in performance. According to the data and time laps it is not. You mentioned few things about the car and paint finishing.. i find it hard to believe this company which specialize in tech and engineering can outperform the finishing of Porsche and Porsche exclusive manufaktur paint, in a level of another league.
Yes, Lambo is now faster (sorry for missing that), which demonstrate this crazy race for lap times, with the craziest driver they can find. Now days you have to be sub 7 min to be in the league (even the NA .2 3RS does that) and here the 720S is failing, a car with this time lap can not be called another league of performance.

The 2RS came into the comparison because it shots out the most insane performance (until not so long ago, the best) without putting you in a narrow tub. And, in comparison of the 720S it's a "daily driver", it's also cheaper and in the end of the day, it's a lightweight TTS with more power.
And for the summery, it seems like (to me at least) Mclaren are just "Trial and error" on their way (look at all the models they are shooting out, look where is the 12c today), i dont think such a car can be called other league in comparison with an important and historic "legend" like the TTS. In urban dictionary- the TTS is a keeper. The 720S is a one night stand
Of course, if you own both GT2RS and 720S its great. Do you see it as much better too ?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 PM
SmokinV10 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sniry12345
Sorry but i just don't see the 720S being in another league. Mclaren are a marvel of engineering and tech, but a car with such a huge compromise in term of being a "car" (narrow cockpit, questionable reliability and so on) has to be absolutely insane in performance. According to the data and time laps it is not. You mentioned few things about the car and paint finishing.. i find it hard to believe this company which specialize in tech and engineering can outperform the finishing of Porsche and Porsche exclusive manufaktur paint, in a level of another league.
Yes, Lambo is now faster (sorry for missing that), which demonstrate this crazy race for lap times, with the craziest driver they can find. Now days you have to be sub 7 min to be in the league (even the NA .2 3RS does that) and here the 720S is failing, a car with this time lap can not be called another league of performance.

The 2RS came into the comparison because it shots out the most insane performance (until not so long ago, the best) without putting you in a narrow tub. And, in comparison of the 720S it's a "daily driver", it's also cheaper and in the end of the day, it's a lightweight TTS with more power.
And for the summery, it seems like (to me at least) Mclaren are just "Trial and error" on their way (look at all the models they are shooting out, look where is the 12c today), i dont think such a car can be called other league in comparison with an important and historic "legend" like the TTS. In urban dictionary- the TTS is a keeper. The 720S is a one night stand
Of course, if you own both GT2RS and 720S its great. Do you see it as much better too ?
Sounds like you have blind loyalty towards Porsche. Perhaps you should drive one before rendering an opinion. Go to rennlist and you’ll find a a plethora of Porsche owners who do not share your sentiment and have ventured to purchase mclaren cars too. Theres an entire thread there titled Mclaren success” that discusses the pros and cons for literally hundreds of pages. The seating position is considered optimal. Most of the automotive press agrees with that sentiment. The mclaren 720S doesn’t have factory sponsored ring times but does have a decent time form an amateur driver with traffic. Porsche/Lamborghini have daily time slots reserved for testing. What’s not so insane about the performance? There literally isn’t another car this side of $1m that can keep up with the car’s performance. IF your only litmus is Nurburingring track times then you should get a Radical RXC and quit messing with all these non impressive road cars.

Last edited by SmokinV10; 07-24-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 PM
sniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like you have blind loyalty towards Porsche. Perhaps you should drive one before rendering an opinion. Go to rennlist and you’ll find a a plethora of Porsche owners who do not share your sentiment and have ventured to purchase mclaren cars too. Theres an entire thread there titled Mclaren success” that discusses the pros and cons for literally hundreds of pages. The seating position is considered optimal. Most of the automotive press agrees with that sentiment. The mclaren 720S doesn’t have factory sponsored ring times but does have a decent time form an amateur driver with traffic. Porsche/Lamborghini have daily time slots reserved for testing. What’s not so insane about the performance? There literally isn’t another car this side of $1m that can keep up with the car’s performance. IF your only litmus is Nurburingring track times then you should get a Radical RXC and quit messing with all these non impressive road cars.
I am not blind loyal towards "porsche", i am loyal to history, involvement, heritage and passion for automotive. That's why i'll wear a Patek Philippe over an Hublot. I appreciate the effort and cross my fingers for their success but will never see in "another league" a manufacture that decided to make super cars few years ago and shooting to all directions, over one of 2 only true sportcars/super cars manufacture left as it was original generated.

You use the sentence "There literally isn’t another car this side of $1m that can keep up with the car’s performance" few times. i'll be glad to be pointed out an indicator for this car outperforming the 2RS, Pista and SVJ.
Going back to the TTS, this sentence is more suitable to it, there is no car in it's price that can match it's performance, the 300K price tag of the 720S matched it with some serious competitors that can.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Even the 991.2 GT3RS is under 7 min on the ring.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:53 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I am a 13 time Porsche owner, loyalist and TTS owner and it sure looks to me like SmokinV10 knows what he is talking about and does own both. He didn't just wander over from the McLaren forum. I think the 720 S is a beautiful car.
I choose to stay with Porsche cars as they have been good to me and will always be more capable than I as a driver and can be driven every day. But I'm under no illusion it is the only great car or the best just the best for me.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:41 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I am a 13 time Porsche owner, loyalist and TTS owner and it sure looks to me like SmokinV10 knows what he is talking about and does own both. He didn't just wander over from the McLaren forum. I think the 720 S is a beautiful car.
I choose to stay with Porsche cars as they have been good to me and will always be more capable than I as a driver and can be driven every day. But I'm under no illusion it is the only great car or the best just the best for me.
This is a great post!!! I’ve owned both McLaren and Porsche cars, as well as others... Porsche makes an amazing car, I love them. Their service after the sale is second to none, by contrast McLarens sucks!!!

I’m more in love with McLaren than Porsche as a whole just for the fun factor, however, Porsche is probably the “best” car on the road from a quality standpoint next to a Honda.

If anyone asked me which car I’d rather TRUST to drive cross country my Porsche or my McLaren... easy choice... Porsche hands down. But from spirited driving to racing, McLaren is exhilarating and you feel like you’re one with the car. I can’t describe the feeling... you have to drive one to understand.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:23 AM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
I have a Europipe stage 2 exhaust and Giac stage 2 tune. my car keeps pace with a Performante Spyder from a roll maybe inches up on it so maybe next move are turbos, ic's and a tune for that?
Interesting....I have a modded '16 991 TTS making over 660 HP, and my 2018 Performante Coup is certainly quicker at / from any speed...

Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
maybe there is a diff between .1 and .2 911's I mean my buddy and and I do this monthly on end and always is the case

Old 08-20-2019, 07:06 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Had a 15 991 Turbo for a year and moved on through a Z06 and a couple of Macs including a 720S. Earlier this year, I had both a 720S (had the first car in North Jersey) and a 991.2 GT3. Traded them both in towards a Senna. I love both Porsche and McLaren.

The TT (i didn't own the S) is really nothing like the 720S. I got bored of it and sold the TT after a year. Reliable, yes. Absolutely. But the 720S is the only car I ever owned that left me with a smile every single time I drove it. And I put nearly 5,000 miles on it in 2 years. An amazing driving experience. Visibility, responsiveness, stability, speed. Just crazy. My TT had a Europipe exhaust but it was still not nearly the same in terms of excitement.

I will own another Porsche, but probably a GT3.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
How is it better? It’s better on nearly everything. The positives span from the dealer experience all the way to virtually every aspect of the car. No dealer games for allocation. I’ve had two (certified pre owned 650s and new 720S) and I guaranteed allocation for a 7XXLT. Want some accommodations for Monterey car week and the dealer takes care of it. Was interested in a pre owned Bentley and they gave it to me for a weekend. Just takes service to a whole new level. The cars are special. Look at a mclaren carbon roof, hood, engine cover or air brake. The carbon is flawless with special attention to detail such as running a v-shaped break right down the middle of the car. The paint work is second to none. I’d argue that their paints are better than anyone’s - just take a look at their volcano colors and then compare them with Ferrari’s three stage paints. No comparison. Styling is subjective but it’s bolder and just plain special. The tear dropped fighter jet cockpit is gorgeous and then there’s the doors. Only Keonigsegg makes a better door. Seating position is the best of any car other than their 25+ year old F1. Performance? Stock for stock nothing this side of $1m will touch it. Review after review the 720S demolishes everything.

If some here are going to argue that their heavily modded 997s or 991s are faster that sounds like an argument from the f body or mustang forum. If we want to talk about modded cars, then go pick up a UGR huracan. You’d be king until the guy with a fox body mustang runs a 7 sec quarter. There’s always another modded car that’s faster than a stock car. Comparing modded to stock isn’t a reasonable litmus. If you were to do that, then every guy who throws down for a Pagani Huayra or a Keonigsegg jesko is a fool. Comparing modded cars, can anyone’s TTS run a low 9 with a 150+ trap with just downpipes and a tune? The 720S can.

The 991 is more reliable. It doesn’t have any odd ball software quirks that require you to open the door, close the door and lock the car and reverse that process before starting it. Happens every now and then for mclaren but the 991 runs without skipping a beat. The 991TT is a fantastic fun car but its a dog compared to the 720S and not just in a straight line. Also the 991- as good as it is, is somehow more boring. It’s not just the speed, it’s the aggregate of the experience. A MUCH better comparison is a GT2 RS vs 720S. If I had to pick personally still pick my 720S for some of the reasons above. On the other hand the GT2RS will undoubtedly depreciate less and be a better track day weapon.
Have a 12C, drove a 720s, rear luggage straps rattled. Fast, good looking, but no 991 GT2 RS.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
But this thread isn’t about a gt2RS vs the 720S. It’s about the tts. I gave the GT2RS a nod on its track worthiness above. There is nothing “slight” about the performance difference between a stock tts and stock 720S. I own both cars, do you? Both great cars but have you even driven a 720S? The gt2RS is a phenomenal car but it isn’t the fastest on the planet. If you’re using Nurburingring times, the SVJ has that title. Also it should be noted that McLaren and Ferrari do not have factory sponsored efforts at the Nurburingring.
Every other track. the 2 RS beats the SVJ. SVJ is just too big and heavy, and still sporting single clutch lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone go from tts to 720s?