6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Porsche warranty 2 years? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/266343-porsche-warranty-2-years.html)

aamersa 01-28-2012 02:33 AM

Porsche warranty 2 years?

In Dubai the standard warranty on a new porsche is 2 years with unlimited mileage. In the US the warranty offered by the same manufacturer is 4 years!

Any one know the reason for this difference?
Others brands here do offer longer warranties of 3 yrs or even 5 years in some cases.

Heist 01-28-2012 04:28 AM

I'm taking a wild guess here and am going to say environment.
Short of salty wet air, nothing breaks down mechanical components faster than driving in a sandy - grit filled environment. Porsche may be compensating for this factor.

cayenne958 01-28-2012 04:49 AM

How about other manufacturers? MB, BMW, Hyundai?

In US, BMW offers free 4 year maintenance as well, including oil change and so on.

EricP 01-28-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by cayenne958 (Post 3439539)
In US, BMW offers free 4 year maintenance as well, including oil change and so on.

BMW doesn't offer it - just to clarify - they include it. i.e. you get it regardless without additional charge (free as you mention). A great thing IMHO, certainly built into the price of the car but we've always chosen BMW for our DD's because of that. Includes rotors, pads, fluid, wiper blades, maint of any kind, etc as well as like BMW service loaners.... for 50k miles!

(I know you knew this)

aamersa 01-28-2012 11:27 AM

For the longest time bmw offered a two year warranty only but a free includeda comprehensive 5 yr maintenance service contract on all vehicles except crazy cars like M5, alpina etc.
But a couple of years ago they matched mb's 3 year warranty and also kept the service contracts as is. mb doesn't generally offer any service contract.

Talking about dubai and gcc markets of course.

Hyundai and kia offer a longer warrantya 4 or 5 yrs i believe coz they need to capture market share.

PT Doc 01-28-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by aamersa (Post 3439523)
In Dubai the standard warranty on a new porsche is 2 years with unlimited mileage. In the US the warranty offered by the same manufacturer is 4 years!

Any one know the reason for this difference?
Others brands here do offer longer warranties of 3 yrs or even 5 years in some cases.

Maybe the environment coupled with all the videos of people beating the piss out of these cars? I'm mostly kidding, but it would be interesting to see if Porsche has more warranty claims per x u it cars than other parts of the world. If yes, they could be evolving the losses with a shorter warranty. Obviously, this is unfounded speculation but it does snuck for your part of the world.

Are prices similar?

Sapster 01-28-2012 03:55 PM

I think the Dubai warranty is closer to the norm and the US is the exception. UK Porsche warranties last 2 years. I believe other European countries are similar.

wa1l1in 01-28-2012 04:38 PM

warranty is done by the importer.. in USA its PCNA... they can adjust the warranty as they see fit.. the company "porsche" in germany does not set the warranty... your importer does.

PT Doc 01-28-2012 07:02 PM

Then woohoo for us in the USA. Yeah!