6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Official 991 POWER UPGRADE KIT (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/277663-official-991-power-upgrade-kit.html)

Elias74 06-04-2012 08:31 AM

Official 991 POWER UPGRADE KIT

Hi Guys,

my dealer told me today, that there will be very soon, a Tequipment upgrade. It will be called "Carrera S Power Kit", and it will give at least +30 Hp (Like the Club Edition). I don't know the price yet, but i'll keep u informed.

Enjoy. :D

tromero 06-04-2012 10:07 AM

I wonder if they will make something for the 3.4 as well

Elias74 06-04-2012 10:35 AM

Really don't know, but i think no...

DaveKrek 06-04-2012 11:13 AM

More or less than $17K ???

KonaKai 06-04-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elias74 (Post 3559876)
Hi Guys,

my dealer told me today, that there will be very soon, a Tequipment upgrade. It will be called "Carrera S Power Kit", and it will give at least +30 Hp (Like the Club Edition). I don't know the price yet, but i'll keep u informed.

Enjoy. :D

Personally the 991S has all the power I need, but I'll still be curious if the kit is a bolt-on or requires engine modifications. Does anyone know in the 997, if adding the X51 meant swapping out or modding the engine?

It's also interesting in light of the cover story in Excellence this month, which described how TechArt decided to focus on exterior mods for the 991S since the OEM performance was already so efficient that to squeeze any performance gains out of it would be prohibitively expensive.

Da Hapa 06-04-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by KonaKai (Post 3560046)
Does anyone know in the 997, if adding the X51 meant swapping out or modding the engine?

Someone with more technical expertise can help here but a true X51 997S involved a lot more than the headers, PSE and intake. The throttle body was completely different as were the heads, wiring, software, etc.

@ Tromero - powerkits were not offered on the standard Carrera with the 997 series car and I doubt they'll be offered on the 991 as the likely price increase is pretty close to the increase from non-S to S.

Rainier 06-04-2012 01:36 PM

Lifted from Google's search result for the just released 991 upgrade:

"The Carrera S Powerkit contains modified cylinder heads and camshafts, a newly developed variable resonance-type intake system with switchable flaps, center radiator, a sports exhaust system with two dual tailpipes in a unique design with a concise sound, the Sport Chrono Package with dynamic engine mounts, an optimized engine management plus a new engine bay styling with a
titanium-colored cover and inserts in carbon fiber."

Cost should be around $17000, its about 14000 UKP.

So, let's see - 30 HP extra, but only at the very top end of the rev band. Really the very top where angles dare not go. No change anywhere else.
No increase in torque anywhere.

Well, I'm no racing driver. My wife calls me a slow driver. I don't quite get this one - what is the point ?

Rainier

Al Pettee 06-04-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rainier (Post 3560127)

I don't quite get this one - what is the point ?

Rainier

Profit.... ;)

dallascajun 06-04-2012 03:53 PM

There you go: you can now build your very own a 991 Club Coupe: minus the specific Brewster Green exterior paint and painted wheels, "911 Club Coupe" decals on the doors and Club Coupe laser engraving in the trim strip.

Or another way of looking at it: X51 for the 991. Factory warranted power package. It might be expensive, but for those that want that extra power (and track from time to time), it probably makes a lot of sense.

jordanpryce 06-04-2012 05:53 PM

I'll just wait for the GTS and get all that power at 1/2 the price. ;)

AG991 06-04-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rainier (Post 3560127)
Lifted from Google's search result for the just released 991 upgrade:

"The Carrera S Powerkit contains modified cylinder heads and camshafts, a newly developed variable resonance-type intake system with switchable flaps, center radiator, a sports exhaust system with two dual tailpipes in a unique design with a concise sound, the Sport Chrono Package with dynamic engine mounts, an optimized engine management plus a new engine bay styling with a
titanium-colored cover and inserts in carbon fiber."

Cost should be around $17000, its about 14000 UKP.

So, let's see - 30 HP extra, but only at the very top end of the rev band. Really the very top where angles dare not go. No change anywhere else.
No increase in torque anywhere.

Well, I'm no racing driver. My wife calls me a slow driver. I don't quite get this one - what is the point ?

Rainier

You are so right. Earth to Porsche - low end torque please. This beast has plenty of HP. I am not saying everything over 130 mph is a waste, but what I need all day, every day, is more pop between 0 and 80 mph - you know, speeds you can actually do!

Elias74 06-05-2012 12:29 AM

Well, Torque will be welcome.

I'll give You more info as soon as i get some.

Rainier 06-05-2012 12:57 AM

The powerkit is available on the Australian builder application.

I found a nice power/torque comparison graph yesterday comparing the standard with the X51 kit for the 991.
I can't find it anymore, should have made a note of the link - but Google found it so I'll try again.
The ONLY difference is power right at the very top. Absolutely no difference anywhere else.
Porsche claims 4.0 secs to 100 with PDK and sport+. That is a 0.1 second improvement. That is practically nothing, certainly not worth the money.
No I am not saying that this is not of ANY value - I'm not qualified to make that call - but I would like to pose the question to those that do take these things on the track - it this of any use ?

Rainier

Airdoc 06-05-2012 09:34 AM

Interesting thread.
It would be worth comparing this to the previous generations power kit and hearing the observations from those owners.

Rainier 06-06-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Airdoc (Post 3560744)
Interesting thread.
It would be worth comparing this to the previous generations power kit and hearing the observations from those owners.

Well, looks like the previous X51 provided a bit of an improvement, but looking at historical power kits the improvement is getting less with every iteration. This gives validity to the statement posted earlier that the stock engines are now pretty close to peak and any improvment is not likely to count for much.

Judging by some of the test reports for fairly recent iterations floating around on the net the consensus is pretty much to leave this box unticked when specifying a build. Utterly pointless for road use (even if the devil is in you) and marginal at best on the track.

I'll will definitely not be selecting this on my build which should be close to closing now anyway. If I could get another 50Nm of torque at 3000, it would be worthwhile and noticable. Don't care about the power - it's torque that makes a sports car. Low down torque please.

What's the bet we're going to see two electric wheel motors in the front in the not too distant future ? Instant, linear additional torque (for a limited time) and makes traditional 4 wheel drive history. Now that's a hybrid that makes sense to me.

Rainier