July Production - October Delivery - Does it make sense?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 PM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
July Production - October Delivery - Does it make sense?

Having owned (ordered) few P before I know that a July production would normally arrive August-end or latest latest latest at some time during September. Now my dealer us telling me it's arriving October-end.

His pitch is not making sense at all. He claims that the factory was closed in August and hence the October delivery. If it's July production then the production should finish in July, correct?

I suspect they are simply booking all their cars to be shipped together (they also have VW dealership) and my July production is sitting there waiting for a ship. If that's the case would it be waiting at the factory or port?

Not happy or satisfied with dealer explanation.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:08 PM
nova996 is on a distinguished road
Well, was your car actually built in July?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
I would have thought that the shipping of cars was a PCNA control not a dealer control? Them owning a VW dealership would have nothing to do with it. Maybe I am wrong......

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
KevinC is on a distinguished road
I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but I don't really know what that July date means. My dealer gave me a completion date and from that date I added a few days (5 to 10 depending on circumstances) to the port in Emden and for loading on the ship). From there I tracked the ship to my delivery port. Of course it is pretty easy to estimate the time from Emden to your port based on their prior deliveries so you don't have to stalk the ship like I did.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't think the dealer has any control over shipping. Just for reference, my car was finished Sept 5 and left Emden sept 12. That means it will be in my garage before the end of the month.

So, yeah, if your car was actually built in July, you should have had it by now. There were shipments in July and August.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
July production means completion of the build in July. Then they want to get it shipped out ASAP. October delivery sounds odd to me. I think the dealer may not have had allocation and they could be misleading you. I agree with nova in that if it was built in July it should be with you by now. Call pcna and give them your order number and ask for an explanation.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 PM
This is exactly the discussion I had with the sales guy. These are the possibilities:

1. Car was not built in July and thats why it's arriving October-end

2. If it was built in July, it should've been delivered by now

3. If it was built in July and was not shipped out due to logistical reasons then it could be:

3.a. Sitting at the factory waiting to be shipped (not as bad as 3.b.)
3.b. Sitting at the exit port waiting to be shipped (not happy if this is the case)

However the sales guy insisted that the car was 1) produced in July and will have a July production date mentioned on the VIN sticker 2) has not yet arrived because factory was closed in August, and 3) it's not unusual for car to arrive 3 months after production date.

I need to contact the regional Porsche office.

Last edited by 03LX470; 09-13-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no expert either, but miine was completed on July 30th and I just took delivery yesterday. I would think your dealer would want to be as up front as possible, as they seem to depend on excellent reviews. I would talk to your sales person and let them know you are not comfortable with the information you are being given.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:20 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
The OP is located in the UAE, calling PCNA won't help him. Shipping to the Middle East may not be as common as to the USA. We buy a LOT of P-Cars and getting ships to our Ports -of- Entry is very regular. I would guess that ships to the UAE are not a weekly occurance.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by 19hole
The OP is located in the UAE, calling PCNA won't help him. Shipping to the Middle East may not be as common as to the USA. We buy a LOT of P-Cars and getting ships to our Ports -of- Entry is very regular. I would guess that ships to the UAE are not a weekly occurance.
Ah, good catch.

To the OP: our cars that come to the US ride along with all the other Volkswagens and Audis coming here (maybe even other marques). So for the northeast US, for example, we get about 6 ships per month. Your situation may be quite different.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM
That's probably right

But all the cars I have ordered before over the last 7 years have been here in the UAE and as I mentioned July production would usually be August-end delivery right here. So this time they are deviating from the norm and it means they are not telling me something about the status or delay of my order. I'm very sensitive about my cars and just want to know if it has been ready since July and sitting on a port somewhere.

I want to take discussion forward with them based on their claim about the factory being closed in August. Can someone please confirm if this was the case or not?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Ooops! I totally missed that and assumed the OP was in the US. My bad.

Yup delivery schedules to that area may be totally differ to what I stated.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by 03LX470
That's probably right

But all the cars I have ordered before over the last 7 years have been here in the UAE and as I mentioned July production would usually be August-end delivery right here. So this time they are deviating from the norm and it means they are not telling me something about the status or delay of my order. I'm very sensitive about my cars and just want to know if it has been ready since July and sitting on a port somewhere.

I want to take discussion forward with them based on their claim about the factory being closed in August. Can someone please confirm if this was the case or not?

Thanks
The factory does close for the annual vacation in August.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM
konstantin is on a distinguished road
Yes my dealer told me that the factory is closed in August. I also saw a YouTube video where they mentioned about August being a vacation season.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
dochusar is on a distinguished road
Well
I empathize with the OP, my 991 Carerra S was a June build, but is now scheduled to be built in late September and delivered in October. The delay is not due to the plant being closed for week to 10 days in August. The delay was the availability of an option that was ordered. In my case, the glass sunroof.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: July Production - October Delivery - Does it make sense?