6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   3.4/3.8 DFI supercharger kit ? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/289546-3-4-3-8-dfi-supercharger-kit.html)

Rainier 10-19-2012 01:26 AM

3.4/3.8 DFI supercharger kit ?

Just for interest sake, there are some almost DIY supercharger kits (mild boost, 6psi) available for 997.1 and not too badly priced either. Seemingly quite a substantial increase in power and torque. Runs off the serpentine belt, adds a center radiator and needs a EMU remap. Kits seem to include everything needed.
Anybody know if such is being worked on for the DFI engine ? should be able to get close to 550 hp out of the 3.8 and a good increase in low range torque if this is possible...

Rainier

thigos 06-10-2013 08:42 AM

Bump.

Also curious about this...

Grandmaster 06-10-2013 10:41 AM

me too, would be a nice mod

ChuckJ 06-10-2013 11:47 AM

That would certainly talk to those that think low RPM performance is inadequate.

ChuckJ

rnl 06-10-2013 12:49 PM

how could a supercharger work with direct injection?

certified_prime 06-10-2013 01:06 PM

Now that Porsche doesn't offer a manual trans on the GT3 and Turbo, this is a interesting option / alternative.

Snowczar 06-10-2013 01:53 PM

Nice way to void your warranty.

Rainier 06-11-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by rnl (Post 3868895)
how could a supercharger work with direct injection?

Just the same way a turbo charger does.
It simply feeds the engine mildly compressed air, the intention is to provide more oxygen so you can burn more fuel and thus produce more power.
The engine management system measures either the amount of air entering the engine (air mass sensor) or measures the amount of oxygen left in the exaust (lamda sensor or both) in order to adjust the amount of fuel each injector cycle will dispense.

Even an engine never intended for force feeding will provide sufiiciant additional mapping range for a slightly higher airpressure (lets say a very cold day and you are below sea level, say somewhere in Holland with a massive high pressure weather system passing by).

For those operating at higher elevations the mild super charger can restore power to that of sea level operation or even a bit more than that.

I'm not talking about a huge boost - even just 20-30% of boost (increased air pressure) is easily achievable and I do not think that would fall outside any parameters the standard NA engine would be able to handle. Of course I'm guessing.

Rainier

Rainier 06-11-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Snowczar (Post 3868936)
Nice way to void your warranty.

Yes.
Alternatively we can lead boring lives.hilarious

Rainier

gitongisip 06-17-2013 09:33 PM

IMO, if we will spend more money to make our car faster, we could have gotten a faster Carrera model. Carrera S should satisfy our needs for everyday use. Plus it has enough power to take it to the track whenever we desire to do so. I myself bought it just to drive it once in a while. Honestly, just looking at it in my garage gives me joy and satisfaction. If women likes Jewelry, men likes their 911's.

ChuckJ 06-18-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rainier (Post 3869485)
Yes.
Alternatively we can lead boring lives.hilarious

Rainier

It sound to me like you're a Turbo S or GT3 candidate!:)

ChuckJ

Rainier 06-18-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckJ (Post 3874920)
It sound to me like you're a Turbo S or GT3 candidate!:)

ChuckJ

It does, doesn't it ?

I have never taken the GT3 seriously (the new one) as I know it's not for me. I need the rear seats for starters.
I have taken the Turbo S seriously but am having second thoughts. My opinion is now that I will probably not like it enough over my 991 C2S to warrant the additional hefty price. But I shall certainly take it for a test drive.

Honestly, I took the C2S for a long drive yesterday on all sorts of varying roads and driving conditions and traffic - and you know what ? I have come to slightly suspect that this thing is the best car ever ! It just does everything. And it does it well.

My original query is based on the availability of such kits for the 997.1 and they seemingly are well worth the fairly moderate cost.

Rainier

rnl 06-18-2013 08:27 AM

My car is a Porsche not a top fuel dragster. It's fast, not the fastest car on the highway, but certainly fast enough for my reflexes (sometimes too fast).

Ynot 06-18-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rainier (Post 3874984)

My original query is based on the availability of such kits for the 997.1 and they seemingly are well worth the fairly moderate cost.

Rainier

If you are the type that likes to mod and extract the most performance out of your mods. Forced induction is the only way to go. You can spend close to the turbocharger kit itself with bolt-ons and ecu tune and not get anywhere near the performance. At only 5-6 psi of boost, it's not going to stress your engine and gives you 100 more hp over stock. It drives just like a stock car until you step on it. The few who has it absolutely loves it and has been trouble free. It will be a lot cheaper than to trade it in for a turbo.

nicoli 06-18-2013 10:00 AM

As someone who enjoys modding his car for the fun and experience of it, I'd jump at the opportunity if it wasn't too cost-prohibitive.