Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mtony
I was basically told that they all do that, and have since tried to drive it in a manner where I don't feel it as much..
Complete BS on their part to tell you such nonsense.
They don't ALL do that and several of us have that the issue temporarily resolved, only for it to return.

Non of us should have to floor our accelerator in order to avoid this issue.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Bowen044 is on a distinguished road
Mtony- you haven't made any progress?

I spoke to my service dept manager today and they have the Porsche rep coming in to drive my car the end of the month.. I'm taking it to the dealer monday to have them reset the DME..AGAIN!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:15 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bowen044
Mtony- you haven't made any progress?

I spoke to my service dept manager today and they have the Porsche rep coming in to drive my car the end of the month.. I'm taking it to the dealer monday to have them reset the DME..AGAIN!
Not yet. I did drive a brand new 911S at the dealership a few months ago and noticed it did it too. So either they all do it and only some of us notice it, or many do it and some don't which is really strange. I'll give it another shot when I go in for my first service. Please keep us updated if the rep adds anything useful to the mix.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM
MMK110464 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2012 997.2 C4S and it has been doing the stumbling/hesitation at around 3k rpm since I bought it.

The simple procedure outlined below has eliminated the problem for me almost completely.

As you all know, the car starts the auto idle procedure when its been parked for several hours (which is usually the case in the morning when the car is started for the first time that day) and the revs go to approximately 1,500 rpm for about 1 minute. When this happens, I immediately blip the gas and take the revs to between 3-4k rpm. This will deactivate the auto idle and the revs will fall to its normal level of 800-850.

Thats it. This procedure will keep your car stumble free as long as the auto idle is not allowed to engage.

Please give a try and give your feedback

Last edited by MMK110464; 03-25-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Bowen044 is on a distinguished road
Hi MMK- Thats crazy, I'm going to try it when i get back to my car!!
Thank you- i will report back with an update.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MMK110464
The simple procedure outlined below has eliminated the problem for me almost completely.
Thanks for the info.
Could you please elaborate on "almost completely". And what happens when the car is switched off and back on 15 mins later. Does the problem return?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM
MMK110464 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dux
Thanks for the info.
Could you please elaborate on "almost completely". And what happens when the car is switched off and back on 15 mins later. Does the problem return?
Once you do this procedure, the problem disappears and stays away as long as you are careful to disengage the auto idle if and when it is activated.

In my case, the auto idle only happens in the morning when I start the car for the first time and this procedure helps prevent the stumble/hesitation for the whole day.

In the last week, I might have felt a little stumble once or twice, but only because I am accustomed to anticipate it since it really bothers me.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MMK110464
I have a 2012 997.2 C4S and it has been doing the stumbling/hesitation at around 3k rpm since I bought it.

As you all know, the car starts the auto idle procedure when its been parked for several hours (which is usually the case in the morning when the car is started for the first time that day) and the revs go to approximately 1,500 rpm for about 1 minute. When this happens, I immediately blip the gas and take the revs to between 3-4k rpm. This will deactivate the auto idle and the revs will fall to its normal level of 800-850.

Thats it. This procedure will keep your car stumble free as long as the auto idle is not allowed to engage.

Please give a try and give your feedback
When the car comes into the dealer it has to be loaded with a base load of software. When my car wouldn't auto stop the dealer fixed it by reloading the software. Interestingly, it fixed that problem but even more interestingly it made the engine restart after an auto-stop a lot smoother. I never had the hesitation problem so it didn't correct that, but perhaps a reload would save you the trouble of the workaround.

ChuckJ

Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM
dux
Chuck
I've had a plethora of s/w updates.
Are you suggesting that the base load may need to be reloaded?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
Chuck
I've had a plethora of s/w updates.
Are you suggesting that the base load may need to be reloaded?
Yep. In my car at sometime the software was corrupted and the start / stop rocked the car when it came back on. I put up with it for a while and then the start / stop just stopped working. They deleted the old software and put in the latest version. We were hoping that would fix the right window dropping down problem but it hasn't.

ChuckJ

Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't experienced any of this, but I have a dumb question, that I couldn't quickly determine by scanning the thread...

1) Is this "problem" being experienced PDK or both M7 and PDK..
2) In PDK, is it occurring in manual and/or Auto
3) is it mode dependent (normal, Sport, sport+)

Sorry if this has been answer I just couldn't get a sense of a solid use case to verify against..

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is PDK. I can reproduce it in any of the modes but I only use manual mode for the PDK. I've tried to reproduce it in auto mode, but the transmission tends to shift well short of 2500 in regular mode and well above 3000 in sport plus mode.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM
dux
Originally Posted by scatkins
Haven't experienced any of this, but I have a dumb question, that I couldn't quickly determine by scanning the thread...

1) Is this "problem" being experienced PDK or both M7 and PDK..
2) In PDK, is it occurring in manual and/or Auto
3) is it mode dependent (normal, Sport, sport+)

Sorry if this has been answer I just couldn't get a sense of a solid use case to verify against..

Manual Transmission. Happens in all modes and always between 2500 and 2600 rpm.
HOWEVER, if I remain in the same gear and drop below 2500 and accelerate through the 2500 RPM range again, it does NOT do it with the same severity.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Great, thanks that's what I needed to know to try and see if I can recreate.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM
dux
Sadly the simple procedure did not make a difference.

The search continues...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?